Opinion thread: Favourite SG style guitar

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

The Gibsons sound super nice and they're not too heavy, but I found the neck of my old one to be a bit cricket bat-sized and it suffered the notorious Headstock Dive Syndrome. It was a great-sounding piece of kit but I never really bonded with it, so sold it and bought my CIJ JM instead.

My other one was a late 70s/early 80s Ibanez artist that was amazing. It weighed a ton, but had a super skinny neck and flat fretboard so had really low action. The pickups (V5 types iirc) were super hot and bassy, and the sustain was unreal. A great guitar for the money, and probably shat on the Epis and Gibsons in the same era. I'm not sure how the reissues compare, but I expect the originals are really collectible now.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Concretebadger wrote:
My other one was a late 70s/early 80s Ibanez artist that was amazing. It weighed a ton, but had a super skinny neck and flat fretboard so had really low action. The pickups (V5 types iirc) were super hot and bassy, and the sustain was unreal. A great guitar for the money, and probably shat on the Epis and Gibsons in the same era. I'm not sure how the reissues compare, but I expect the originals are really collectible now.
The one I ended up with? I owned it around the same time as a 74 Les Paul Deluxe, a 70 SG Special (2x p90s), and a modern SG Special (2x HB). It was the heaviest of the lot, too heavy to be honest. The best of those was the 70 SG.

The 2 humbucker SG special would be the best fit for Rhys I reckon, and easy to find and cheap too. Epiphones just aren't the same.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

benecol wrote:I have had a lot of SGs, and can confirm that the Gibson SG Classic is the best SG you can get.

I have a 2011 like yours. Nice meaty tones. Great SG for someone who doesn't want HB's.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I'd go with this one, but sound wise it's a little bit different animal than a classic SG

matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
speedfish

Phil X signature guitar

Post by speedfish »

[youtube][/youtube]

I love Phil's dazzling green sparkle SG. Unfortunate where he chose to place the pickup switch.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Not an SG fan, I've tried several out and just never felt comfortable to me. Always kept sliding around when sitting.
Always wanted a Les Paul of some sort though. I've played a few and liked them. Been thinking about trading a guitar and some other stuff in to get one.
Was thinking about maybe getting this one
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 T Electric Guitar, Satin Fireburst
679$ used
Bertram Rose
op4blushift

Re: Phil X signature guitar

Post by op4blushift »

speedfish wrote: I love Phil's dazzling green sparkle SG. Unfortunate where he chose to place the pickup switch.
His other SGs are also super cool. Sparkling green one shows up here again too.
(Phil's bit starts at 53:00)
[youtube][/youtube]
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I really can't stand sg's as i can't let go off the neck when i just sing with bass and also because of the symetrical shape... But a guild S-100 is a serioiusly hot guitar. I also kinda like Kalamazoos for the fender like design with the white pg and single-coils. I'd love one like that! :D
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

vojtasTS29 wrote:I really can't stand sg's as i can't let go off the neck when i just sing with bass and also because of the symetrical shape... But a guild S-100 is a serioiusly hot guitar. I also kinda like Kalamazoos for the fender like design with the white pg and single-coils. I'd love one like that! :D
Same reason I hate them.
Bertram Rose
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Corsair wrote:Not an SG fan, I've tried several out and just never felt comfortable to me. Always kept sliding around when sitting.
Always wanted a Les Paul of some sort though. I've played a few and liked them. Been thinking about trading a guitar and some other stuff in to get one.
679$ used
I have a 2016 Firebird T. You can't go wrong with any of the T's. Great value and geometry.
Disciple of Pain

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I tried two Studios: a 2009 model and a 2014 model. The older one was light as feather, apparently it had the body drilled to reduce weight. Played and sounded superb. The 2014 weighed a tone, played and sounded good, but was heavy as a log.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

vojtasTS29 wrote:I really can't stand sg's as i can't let go off the neck when i just sing with bass and also because of the symetrical shape... But a guild S-100 is a serioiusly hot guitar. I also kinda like Kalamazoos for the fender like design with the white pg and single-coils. I'd love one like that! :D
They aren't symmetrical, at least not absolutely. The design is classical imo and way more appealing than many other electrics which look like a draft of a 4 year old. Gibsons with mahogany necks (there are 70s tribute and other models with maple necks) balance pretty well without neck diving. Maple necks on copies usually dive easily. SG's are super classy and uber sexy

Corsair

Post by Corsair »

speedfish wrote:
Corsair wrote:Not an SG fan, I've tried several out and just never felt comfortable to me. Always kept sliding around when sitting.
679$ used
I have a 2016 Firebird T. You can't go wrong with any of the T's. Great value and geometry.
Lucky bastard, I've ALWAYS wanted firebird.
How does it sound?
Bertram Rose
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Corsair wrote:
speedfish wrote:
679$ used
How does it sound?
Heavy... Neck heavy
XY
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Corsair wrote:
speedfish wrote:
679$ used
How does it sound?
Pickups sound somewhere between a humbucker and a P90. No neck dive. I can can get away with hanging it lower without affecting my left hand position and still reach the upper frets without any pain. Access to the upper frets is better than on a Strat, Jazzmaster or any bolt on neck. I would recommend a longer tongue/strap extender because a standard tongue stretched out will still leave it riding higher than a Strat or Les Paul, but if you like it higher on your torso then it'll be perfect. Its comfortable sitting or standing. The only unusual thing is that my right hand rest differently across the stings than it does on any other guitar. Further up from the bridge than on a Strat or SG. I attribute this change in hand position, while strapped and standing, to the decreased amount of wood between the upper and lower bouts. My Destroyer is similar in some respects and alters my right hand position as well.

Here's mine:

*****DELETED*****
Last edited by speedfish on Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disciple of Pain

NickS

Post by NickS »

Our old lead guitarist has picked up an '88 Gibson SG, pickups have covers, sounds great but I haven't tried it for neck feel and dive.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

speedfish wrote:
Corsair wrote:
speedfish wrote: I have a 2016 Firebird T. You can't go wrong with any of the T's. Great value and geometry.
How does it sound?
Pickups sound somewhere between a humbucker and a P90. No neck dive. I can can get away with hanging it lower without affecting my left hand position and still reach the upper frets without any pain. Access to the upper frets is better than on a Strat, Jazzmaster or any bolt on neck. I would recommend a longer tongue/strap extender because a standard tongue stretched out will still leave it riding higher than a Strat or Les Paul, but if you like it higher on your torso then it'll be perfect. Its comfortable sitting or standing. The only unusual thing is that my right hand rest differently across the stings than it does on any other guitar. Further up from the bridge than on a Strat or SG. I attribute this change in hand position, while strapped and standing, to the decreased amount of wood between the upper and lower bouts. My Destroyer is similar in some respects and alters my right hand position as well.

Here's mine:

Nice man, so beautiful :shock:
Bertram Rose
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Just bought this baby today, Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute 2016 (Satin Honeyburst)

Also got this with it as well. Since I came in with a bunch of old guitar shit I didn't want anymore. Old pedals, bunch of solid state amps friends left over my house and random other stuff plus my Epiphone. And brought it down to a good price.
Bertram Rose
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Corsair wrote:Just bought this baby today, Gibson Les Paul 50s Tribute 2016 (Satin Honeyburst)
Also got this with it as well. Since I came in with a bunch of old guitar shit I didn't want anymore. Old pedals, bunch of solid state amps friends left over my house and random other stuff plus my Epiphone. And brought it down to a good price.

Congrats! She's a beauty! How does the neck feel?

8)
Disciple of Pain

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

don't forget guild s-100 polara