The Great Jet Exchange

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

The Great Jet Exchange

Post by ultratwin »

So it has been a time of gear moving like none before, getting rid of the lesser-used things, and finding great use for the ones who find their place in repeated recordings.

I was motivated late last year to sell off my 1992 black G6128T after noting for a while that the ceramic Filtertrons are sure oomphy but the cleans are rather stuffy. Of course I could just throw on some new HS Fitlertrons and be done with it all, but I'm way more vain than that. Right before NAMM I also found a nicely trashed 1995 G6129 (sparkle) on the cheap and got the neck straightened out enough to feel good and become the template for a triple Dynasonic jet project with a few silver penguin appointments (more on that later). OTM Jazzmaster going bye-bye and extra bodies out the door as well.

Fast forward a few weeks to early this month, when over on GT a used limited-edition G6128T-DCM popped up...and I almost immediately burned a hole in my pocket with hard-earned manland funds (mostly from teaching English privately, to be sure). And the DCM arrived this past weekend.

I've honestly never touched a DC Jet before, but this thing feels and plays fantastic: Really light with a thinner top (did the knock-knock thingy) over chambered body, AlNiCo filtertrons can both zing and crunch, zero fret sounds as it should all over the place, adjustomatic bridge has not a buzzy bit about it and behaves itself as it rocks nicely with the B3's movement, guitar has very good balance on the shoulder, and without an upperbout 3-way tone switch to add to the p'up selector, there's only one of them to bump when Rawb donwstrokes the thing at Rivers angles. Dark Cherry Metallic finish with black (not dark walnut stain) backside is really sexy, but hard to photograph.

Nice modern appointments, too: medium C neck that's a good bit thicker than any other Gretsch in the quiver (and very unexpected), very much like a '62 Strat shape. Pinned bridge base keeps things in place for good, and the most curious thing of all, the G6128T-DCM ships from the factory with Schaller strap locks. Although I prefer Dunlops on my Moollons and Fenders, I've a few straps with Schallers already installed so it's actually a nice touch. Tracked some Kick Out the Jams-style I -IV riffage last night for a VR game sound track and it took gain of all sorts really nicely and sustained with ease. Looking forward to messing about side by side with the G6122-1962 to test timbre of the clean tones, and I'm quite optimistic so far.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

looks like a cheerful glass of fine red wine
HNB

Post by HNB »

Beautiful looking guitar!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've seen a lot of pictures of cats with guitars on the internet, but this one... it's one of the best.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lovelyyyyyy!
lorez

Post by lorez »

Sweet little looking thing
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Beautiful guitar and I agree about the colour, looks like expensive wine. And of course reminds me of Jack White and Ball and Biscuit

How do you compare it soundwise to the Chat Atkins model?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Thanks to all...I'll upload more images of the Jet shortly, though the above are probably the best I can squeeze out right now, the thing being so very dark that it usually looks black. Glass o' dry Shiraz be shirazzy!
sunshiner wrote: How do you compare it soundwise to the Chat Atkins model?
The Gent has a very hollow sound all around, with less mids and more thump added to the upper end sparkle. However, the more I play the Jet, it's really not too far off (especially the neck pickup) and both the mid and neck position have that open, airy Gretsch tone that AlNiCo filtertrons are known for. And although I don't have a good example of each at the moment, I did play the G6122-1962 on one of my favorite tracks 달 말하다 dal, malhada "Moon, Talk" off of FROMM's debut album, albeit one of my more sloppy song arrangements. At the time it had the brass bar bridge on, which provided a slightly more dull attack compared to how it now sounds with the stainless steel Compton Compensated bridge.

[youtube][/youtube]

When my THM first album is done (about 85% there, hopefully will be out by summer), I'll have more examples to play ;)
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

ShortScale guitar of the year so far... and it'll be a hard task to knock it from the top spot.
XY
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Love how that guitar looks. LOL at your cat, cute looking cat too. But perfect photo in getting the cat to be staring at you in that way.
Bertram Rose
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

paul_ wrote:I've seen a lot of pictures of cats with guitars on the internet, but this one... it's one of the best.
He takes good shots, to be sure...

A few months back we met a professional pet photographer(PPP?) via Inkyung from Monni, and she offered to come by our house and take some shots for her website, giving us the edited finals for personal use. Amazing how well they came out, even under the horrible fluorescent lighting of our living room. Note: was before Yaro was put on a diet...the dude has slimmed down a bit since this shoot.
► Show Spoiler
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Corsair wrote:Love how that guitar looks. LOL at your cat, cute looking cat too. But perfect photo in getting the cat to be staring at you in that way.
That's an Abyssinian for ya, they're so affectionate it borders on dog-to-owner love that it can be annoying during their waking hours. Yaro in particular will look you in the face with big eyes with little effort.