Exciting poll about labelling controls on guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

The way the labels on this Hopf Telstar are upside-down and oritentated toward the player

I like that
70%
I hate that
30%

Total votes: 27
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Exciting poll about labelling controls on guitars

Post by timhulio »

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

NEEDS SLOAN OPTION
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

GUITAR IS COOL LOOKING THOUGH
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Makes sense. But a lot of things that make sense are not the norm in the world of guitars.

Like I think Leo should have slanted his Bridge pickups the other way. (But who could argue with the results)

I think Nels Cline plays one of these with Wilco. 11 minutes: 48 seconds in.

[youtube][/youtube]
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

While hate's a strong word, it's not like anyone's actually going to need to read the instructions more than once. So then they're stuck with a guitar with upside-down words on. Where do you draw the line? Headstock decal tilted 120º clockwise so you can read it easily from the pilot's seat?

As a wiser man than me said upon learning of the existence of the Haynes Telecaster Manual: it's hardly the fucking space shuttle.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

benecol wrote:As a wiser man than me said upon learning of the existence of the Haynes Telecaster Manual: it's hardly the fucking space shuttle.
Haha.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Not sure about guitars but it, very mildly, irks me when amps with top mounted controls have them the "wrong" way round. i.e. configured to be used with you stood behind the amp. It's possibly more vintage correct (*amber*) that way but meh.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

BearBoy wrote:Not sure about guitars but it, very mildly, irks me when amps with top mounted controls have them the "wrong" way round. i.e. configured to be used with you stood behind the amp. It's possibly more vintage correct (*amber*) that way but meh.
Ugh, this. It also pisses me off when easily described EQ boost/cut functions are obtusely labeled in marketingese, like "contour" and "colour".
Last edited by laterallateral on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 115,726 times in total
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

jcyphe wrote:

I think Nels Cline plays one of these with Wilco. 11 minutes: 48 seconds in.

[youtube][/youtube]
watched video. he got it at Mikes in Cinn. MY OLD HANGOUT!!!!

place is great. its like HOG but smaller but 5 floors of shit instead of 3
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

laterallateral wrote:
BearBoy wrote:Not sure about guitars but it, very mildly, irks me when amps with top mounted controls have them the "wrong" way round. i.e. configured to be used with you stood behind the amp. It's possibly more vintage correct (*amber*) that way but meh.
Ugh, this. It also pisses me off when easily described EQ boost/cut functions are obtusely labeled in marketingese, like "contour" and "colour".
lol don't forget TEH INTENSE BUTTON

timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

laterallateral wrote:Ugh, this. It also pisses me off when easily described EQ boost/cut functions are obtusely labeled in marketingese, like "contour" and "colour".
Well, quite. This Blackstar HT5 has an EQ control labelled 'ISF' and I don't even. I've fiddled with it a few times but it doesn't seem to do anything either.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

They should be in German, it's a German guitar.

(I'm not sure how people would react if it was in Chinese. I bet some people would want it in Japanese.)
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

robroe wrote:GUITAR IS COOL LOOKING THOUGH
This is true.

Is that your guitar Tim?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

timhulio wrote:This Blackstar HT5 has an EQ control labelled 'ISF' and I don't even. I've fiddled with it a few times but it doesn't seem to do anything either.
It's an infinite shape feature. Obviously.

No, me neither.

[youtube][/youtube]
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

BearBoy wrote:
robroe wrote:GUITAR IS COOL LOOKING THOUGH
This is true.

Is that your guitar Tim?
Nah, I'm gonna buy one when I find one though. The redburst would look cool with my matching Framus and Musima, but I really like that green finish.

Reason for the poll- I've got to design the scratchplate for this Musima I'm fixing, which has some added preamp/fuzz stuff. So, lots of labels and I'm looking for inspiration as to how to orientate them. I do like the way Hopf have done it, with mysterious abbreviations at all crazy angles. I'll poast my scratchplate when I've something I like.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I dislike it.

You could say it's logical but how long does it take the user to become familiar with the layout, a couple of hours or days maximum?
After that it looks forever aesthetically wrong. Which ironically, can sometimes look good in the right hands, as we know.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

I know what you mean. Having the writing upside-down is at least unusual.

This one is sideways, with less guesswork involved. I like it less.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I dislike it.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

I don't really like the idea either, but taken as a whole I quite like the guitar overall. It's one of those "[particular feature] is a bit 'off' to me, but I like most other things about it."

It looks like how I'd imagine a Jag would look, if it had been designed by someone in Eastern Europe instead of California. I kinda dig it.
George

Post by George »

benecol wrote:While hate's a strong word, it's not like anyone's actually going to need to read the instructions more than once. So then they're stuck with a guitar with upside-down words on. Where do you draw the line? Headstock decal tilted 120º clockwise so you can read it easily from the pilot's seat?
Pretty much this.

EDIT: Accidentally selected the wrong option in the poll, though. Lol.