NGD: Incredibly original choice

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

plaidbeer

NGD: Incredibly original choice

Post by plaidbeer »

I got a Strat. I really love it. It's a Classic Vibe 50s LPB jobby that I scored for $230 used. It might be the most comfortable guitar I've played to date. It feels like it has a thinner neck than a MIM Strat and only weighs in at 7 lbs, which is some relief from my weighty Jag. I'm replacing the pots (Tone 2 is scratchy and wobbly) and the selector switch (flimsy) with a pre-wired blender kit from Emerson, but everything else will remain stock as it sounds and plays really well.

I'd been waffling on getting a used VM or BT Jazzmaster and installing a set of Filtertrons I have laying around or a CV 50s LPB or Sherwood Green Strat and I came across it on a random search on GC's used site. I received some good news regarding my job security for the near future, at least, so I decided to treat myself as it's been a very stressful time at work.

Obligatory lousy photos:

aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

TIGHT!
I also just nabbed a 50's classic vibe. I love the feel of the neck, but the pickups are even quiter than my jaguar, so it caused a bit of shame at practice last week, when my fancy new shit was inaudible.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Very nice!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

glossy AF
dots wrote:incesticide
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Congrats on the improved job security!
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
plaidbeer

Post by plaidbeer »

Thanks, all. Never thought I'd be a Strat guy (and maybe it's the basic MIMs that haven't moved the needle for me), but the supposed thinner neck and lighter weight of this guitar is something I've been looking for. Just wish I had tried a CV Strat earlier as it would have probably saved me buying/selling several guitars to find something that fits.

I'm guessing from the serial number that it was one of the first CVs and was made in '09 and yeah, Rob, it is glossy AF. It's in good shape besides the scratchy pot, a wobbly tone knob, and a so-so selector. The neck isn't nearly as pale as it looks in photos--I'd like to get it tinted but I've no experience doing that sort of thing. Lots of useful sounds and I'm very happy with the stock pickups.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

plaidbeer wrote:Never thought I'd be a Strat guy
Yeah, I had that when I got mine. I always though they were a bit ubiquitous and therefore not all that interesting, despite many of my favourite guitarists playing them. I now feel silly for not having one before.