Exciting poll about labelling controls on guitars

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

The way the labels on this Hopf Telstar are upside-down and oritentated toward the player

I like that
70%
I hate that
30%

Total votes: 27
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

It's like someone getting all their tattoos oriented upside down so they can see them... just doesn't happen man.

Also everyone who's posted says Hate but like still winning the poll... show yourselves stand by your vote you cowardly likers
XY
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

dezb1 wrote:It's like someone getting all their tattoos oriented upside down so they can see them... just doesn't happen man.

Also everyone who's posted says Hate but like still winning the poll... show yourselves stand by your vote you cowardly likers
Can you show me a synth with the panel controls labelled towards the audience, as well as slanted that way so they can read the controls better?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

No, man. Synth players are real musicians, we are talking about guitars here :wink:
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
dezb1 wrote:It's like someone getting all their tattoos oriented upside down so they can see them... just doesn't happen man.

Can you show me a synth with the panel controls labelled towards the audience, as well as slanted that way so they can read the controls better?
loooole
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

timhulio wrote:Reason for the poll- I've got to design the scratchplate for this Musima I'm fixing, which has some added preamp/fuzz stuff. So, lots of labels and I'm looking for inspiration as to how to orientate them. I do like the way Hopf have done it, with mysterious abbreviations at all crazy angles. I'll poast my scratchplate when I've something I like.
I think for standard guitar controls labelling would be a bit superfluous. As (the other) Tim said, you'd only need to look at them a couple of times before you knew where everything was. Given what you're doing, however, it might be a good idea to have some sort of labelling if you're going to have lots of switches/knobs.

Maybe go for some weird symbols instead of letters like on Orange amps? Then they wouldn't be upside down.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fakir Mustache wrote:

Synths have slightly more controls than a guitars 3 way selector and volume and tone pot... butvi get your point.

XY
George

Post by George »

Synths are facing the player not the audience lol, and also far more complex where you would actually need some amount of labelling to use it on the fly.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

dezb1 wrote:butvi get your point
Is it some kind of a terrible Scottish insult?
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

sunshiner wrote:
dezb1 wrote:butvi get your point
Is it some kind of a terrible Scottish insult?

It is now... "so but 6 you as well pal"
XY
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Mad-Mike

Post by Mad-Mike »

I don't hate it but I don't need them and almost have no feeling on them either way.

I always thought putting stickers or a diagram on the guitar that are removable would have been a good idea, I've seen some makers (Cort, that company in Japan that made the Jaguar copies with no Rhythm Circuit, and Vox I thnk) actually do that. I can see how it might help someone who is new to guitar, but to someone like me, I'm pretty good at figuring these things out myself as I assume most other people are.
It's Me
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Righto. Good feedback. I agree with all of it.

This is where I'm at now:

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

Nice mockup.

If you're going to do screen printing or labeling you could experiment with some accent lines to the pickguard. But that might be gilding the lily, so to speak.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Thanks. I think you're right. The Musima originally has this accent, but Framus and Hopf don't. Because it's a black guitar I reckon it's needed.

I'm nuts for these upside-down controls.

jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I like it.

What program are using to draw these sketches?
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Like, makes more sense.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

jcyphe wrote:I like it.

What program are using to draw these sketches?
I'm attempting to relearn Illustrator. Some of those curves still need a bit of work...
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild

Post by timhulio »

Almost done! I got the custom pickguard made by Scratch-It, who were super professional and helpful. Really pleased with the result.
http://www.originalscratchplates.com/

NickS

Post by NickS »

Looks good.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

NickS wrote:Looks good.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.