Hollywood Bowl Telecasters

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Hollywood Bowl Telecasters

Post by NickS »

Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Nice lookin' guitars, but, fuck...
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lole
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Ankhanu wrote:Nice lookin' guitars, butt fuck...
12,000 fixed
XY
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

It's kinda amusing how musicians have long discussions/arguments and are sometimes prepared to pay over the odds when it comes to "the guitar sounds better when it's made out of [this sort of wood] or [that sort of wood]..." but now it's expected that people will pay big bucks for a guitar that's literally made from pieces of old chairs.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

There was a guitar for sale in the UK recently made from the flooring of the old Hacienda club in Manchester. I'm sure it said there is only four made and Barney from New Order/Joy Division owns one of them.

Anything along these lines is surely just a showpiece? You'd maybe play it on rare occasions.

They look like those Axl Badwater guitars and you c an pick them up for about £80.

Great to see things recycled but the prices just cancel out any goodness in these projects. They just become something else for all the rich bastards to hoover up.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Concretebadger wrote:It's kinda amusing how musicians have long discussions/arguments and are sometimes prepared to pay over the odds when it comes to "the guitar sounds better when it's made out of [this sort of wood] or [that sort of wood]..." but now it's expected that people will pay big bucks for a guitar that's literally made from pieces of old chairs.
Ah, see, the supreme acoustic properties of the Hollywood Bowl as a venue have, over the course of hundreds/thousands of concerts, attuned these seats to a wide yet rich resonance spectrum. Think of how good guitars that have played in just small bands in just small venues sound after a couple of decades; these have been exposed to entire orchestras (and some of the best rock acts!) for at least that long.

Cognitive dissonance is a wonderful thing. "This guitar is worth at least $20,000, as is proven by the fact that I spent $20,000 on it."
Last edited by Grant on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Fran wrote:Great to see things recycled but the prices just cancel out any goodness in these projects. They just become something else for all the rich bastards to hoover up.
Yup.

I have a Bethlehem Steel - Los Angeles crate much like this one sitting at home; I think I need to make a Telecaster out of it. Maybe a Telemaster I dunno.

sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

A lapsteel guitar maybe?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Reminds me of the Bowery Ballroom Telecasters.... http://www.kellyguitars.com/about_bowery_pine.html

Apart from the price I think its a nice idea..... I should have grabbed some timber when the Bull & Gate in Kentish Town was refurbished :lol:
Grant

Post by Grant »

Johno wrote:Reminds me of the Bowery Ballroom Telecasters.... http://www.kellyguitars.com/about_bowery_pine.html
The kiln-drying process disrupts the natural realignment of the wood's TONE MOLECULES. Christ.

The Bowery guitars look neat, though.
Last edited by Grant on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I give them infinite props for not relicking the Bowery guitars. Tinting the neck is borderline but forgivable.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

it's like owning a guitar that's touched a thousand butts!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

:D
Grant

Post by Grant »

How do butts effect tone
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

*insert puns relating to G strings and "bum notes" here* ((hide))
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Grant wrote:
Johno wrote:Reminds me of the Bowery Ballroom Telecasters.... http://www.kellyguitars.com/about_bowery_pine.html
The kiln-drying process disrupts the natural realignment of the wood's TONE MOLECULES. Christ.

The Bowery guitars look neat, though.
Great Grand-dad's wood indeed.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Grant wrote:How do butts effect tone
[youtube][/youtube]
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Grant wrote:
Fran wrote:Great to see things recycled but the prices just cancel out any goodness in these projects. They just become something else for all the rich bastards to hoover up.
Yup.

I have a Bethlehem Steel - Los Angeles crate much like this one sitting at home; I think I need to make a Telecaster out of it. Maybe a Telemaster I dunno.

our bethlehem steel plant caught on fire about a year ago. i drove right by it on this street on the way to work. it was one of the awesomest things i have ever seen.

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
Grant

Post by Grant »

robroe wrote:
Grant wrote:
Yup.

our bethlehem steel plant caught on fire about a year ago. i drove right by it on this street on the way to work. it was one of the awesomest things i have ever seen.

[youtube][/youtube]
DUDE build a guitar from it!