VHT SPECIAL 6

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Doug

VHT SPECIAL 6

Post by Doug »

So who's got a VHT Special 6 and is willing to give us a few comments?

http://chasingtone.com/yourguitaramp/yo ... -6-review/
Doug
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

At Moollon we picked one up ahead of time to use at NAMM and have since given it loads of annual mileage since then.

Like other little combos, the Special 6 is quite practical in a loud showroom like NAMM when you need a smallish semi-directional box that can point at someone sitting down, all while having decent breakup without exploding your face off. Reminded me a lot of a Champ at first, but with time found it to have a little more meaty fatness about it that really shines with a decent EQ pedal right in front of it, and the Tone knob is actually quite usable. When you turn things up it stays a bit less messy than a Marshall Class5, and has none of the annoying circuit-native noise of a Pro Junior. Boss liked it so much that the Special 6 is now the low-wattage test amp for guitars+pedals at the Moollon shop, when he doesn't want to turn on something as loud as the PA-20 or Bluesbreaker.
Doug

Post by Doug »

ultratwin wrote:At Moollon we picked one up ahead of time to use at NAMM and have since given it loads of annual mileage since then.

Like other little combos, the Special 6 is quite practical in a loud showroom like NAMM when you need a smallish semi-directional box that can point at someone sitting down, all while having decent breakup without exploding your face off. Reminded me a lot of a Champ at first, but with time found it to have a little more meaty fatness about it that really shines with a decent EQ pedal right in front of it, and the Tone knob is actually quite usable. When you turn things up it stays a bit less messy than a Marshall Class5, and has none of the annoying circuit-native noise of a Pro Junior. Boss liked it so much that the Special 6 is now the low-wattage test amp for guitars+pedals at the Moollon shop, when he doesn't want to turn on something as loud as the PA-20 or Bluesbreaker.
Thanks, Ultratwin. Your description is in line with the reviews I've read, But I like your language which is personal; not like an article for publication. So now tell me this before I go test drive one...how's the gain or distortion?
Doug
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

Post by ultratwin »

Hard to recall in detail the gain tone in specific, and really nice cleans turning into angry little box is unfortunately the best I can do from memory.

But it did take all kinds of pedals and varying amounts of boost quite nicely, though.