J Mascis vs Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Jazzmaster

JMJM
88%
VMJM
13%

Total votes: 16
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Uhh, so i went into a store and left with a JMJM. Pics tomorrow.
Result! You made the right choice, the jmjm. Is a fantastic guitar.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
Doog wrote:Weird, the Squier JMJM has the same 'tailpiece moved forward' as the Classic Players et al, but the Fender OG JMJM doesn't.

Never knew that.
Tailpiece moved forward was a huge improvement and mojo crybabies whined so hard.
Eh, I think it’s in a good spot to begin with on the real. Moving it up makes it look kinda cramped. Never had an issue with the original placement and I didn’t need a stupid buzz stop.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Glad you got the JMJM.

I was in a band in San Francisco a few years back. I played a VMJM, other guitarist played a JMJM. I have since sold my VMJM. He has not sold his JMJM.

Case closed.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Thanks for the advice you all. It's ana amazing guitar. I just ordered myself a 50's styled bridge pickup from a local winder and I talked to the guys at Staytrem and new 9,5" non tilting bridges that fit tuneomatic thimbles will be shipping from the 31st of January, so that would be all the things i am not absolutely sold on resolved. The NECK IS AMAZING.
Time for some 90's riffs haha.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Gives me a huge GAS. Awesome guitar and the rig
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

Yeah, the Fender Blender is one of my favourite "so bad it's good" effects. Virtually every setting apart from the most subtle is clanky, robotic mangled awfulness of the best possible kind. :twisted: The piano-like spanky jangle of a JM will go well with it I reckon.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Thanks guys! I have modded the blender to be vintage correct(it makes it loud as hell and the boost switch actually works) and it's in one of the loop pedals with the DOD to give it a little more juice(i honestly think it sounds horrible without a pedal boosting it) and i usually stack it into the box of war for the most extreme broken fuzz tone for some solos live. :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Josh wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Doog wrote:Weird, the Squier JMJM has the same 'tailpiece moved forward' as the Classic Players et al, but the Fender OG JMJM doesn't.

Never knew that.
Tailpiece moved forward was a huge improvement and mojo crybabies whined so hard.
Eh, I think it’s in a good spot to begin with on the real. Moving it up makes it look kinda cramped. Never had an issue with the original placement and I didn’t need a stupid buzz stop.
Well it's a preference, innit; I didn't like my JM without a Buzzstop, and I'm sure the movement would address the same issues I got the Buzzstop for.

I defo prefer the original look, but I'd get over it for sake of having my preferred 'feel'.. and it's like 1/2" an inch difference or so?
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Whyyyy are jazzmasters so expensive. I already ordered a new bridge pickup, an 62 avri tremolo and I'm waiting for staytrem.
Doug

Re: J Mascis vs Vintage Modified Jazzmaster

Post by Doug »

vojtasTS29 wrote:hey, guys I've been looking to buy a Jazzmaster and inside my price range there are only two that i like. The J Mascis and the Vintage Modified in sonic blue. Which one would you recommend? Honestly I can't stand the clearcoated neck on the VM, but I am mainly asking about the quality. Most J Mascises I've seen felt on par with MIJ fender, but I've never had a chance to play the Vintage Modified thing that had a playable setup. Can I get the Vintage Modified to play as good as the Mascis, or should I just get the Mascis and not bother.
Thanks for advice :)
Get a real Fender Jazzmaster...there are loads of great used ones out there and finding the one for you is part of the fun, mate. So many colors and subtle tech specs differences to choose from...

Errata: I see you got one!
Last edited by Doug on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug
Doug

Post by Doug »

vojtasTS29 wrote:Thanks for the advice you all. It's ana amazing guitar. I just ordered myself a 50's styled bridge pickup from a local winder and I talked to the guys at Staytrem and new 9,5" non tilting bridges that fit tuneomatic thimbles will be shipping from the 31st of January, so that would be all the things i am not absolutely sold on resolved. The NECK IS AMAZING.
Time for some 90's riffs haha.
Uh, love that cable too. Congratulations!
Doug
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I also have a jmjm and a blender. Just turn down the tone on your rhythmsection and the blender will sound soooo good 8)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Pleased you are happy with the purchase vojtas :)
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

That is a cool rig/set-up.

The Jazzmaster is my favorite Fender shape. I think the Stratocaster sounds better and is more versatile but the Jazzmaster will always be cool to me.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Thanks a lot you all.
@jagsonic:
I enjoy using the rhythm cirquit quite a lot. either for exactly what you said or just to clean up an overdriven sound with the flick of a switch. I donť really get why most folks tape them up or don't understand them, as to me it's one of the more practical features a jazzmaster has compared to the usual guitars.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Remember when Fran used to do an demos... halcyon days.
XY
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

With modern smartphones, no-one has an excuse to not do an demo.

If Rob can do an demo of his Realplayer plugins, then you can do an demo of your cool new pedal.

2018: Do It Right. Do An Demo.

I also really fucking want a black-tort Jazzmaster now. Fuck.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Doog on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

dezb1 wrote:Remember when Fran used to do an demos... halcyon days.
I lost my Music room in the house and no longer have an laptop, plus I wasn't buying anything for a long time.

Pleased you liked the ones I did though.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

Squier snug-fit(tm) neck pocket strikes again. Not returning it because the side does not hold anything anyway but holy shit. I just slightly dinged it and the neck cracked the paint like nothing.
vojtasTS29

Post by vojtasTS29 »

I mean. I got a pretty good deal on a body and i've always wanted a sherwood green '59. So this is what i ended up with. I kinda fell in love haha.
Avri hardware, mustang bridge with some makeshift improvemets. Still got the original pickups but that's probably gonna change the next time i manage to make some money :D