Oh fuck I've got sudden GAS

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

luciguci

Oh fuck I've got sudden GAS

Post by luciguci »

I don't remember HOW I got into it but I found out there's a 40 watt 2x10 Jazz Chorus that came out a few years ago with major updates to the circuit and after listening to several videos, I've got some real bad GAS for it. Stereo inputs, stereo FX loop, stereo Line Out jacks, headphone jack (I'm gonna assume stereo), and the improved distortion circuit doesnt sound too bad either. There's no extension cab outputs but that doesnt matter since there's the Line Out that could be plugged into a PA. They also got rid of the loud hissing problem to vintage JC 120 had, which just makes it so much better.

I definitely don't need one right now, nor could I afford it right now, but it's only 600 bucks and hearing it made me decide this is the amp I want in the future, when I can get one. I've been wanting to play in stereo for so long, and my only real option was to plug my pedalboard straight into my mixer this whole time. I would love to get some sick and psychedelic shoegaze sounds out of this thing with my setup. Those clean tones are so fucking choice too, they made me wanna listen to early The Cure. The whole thing sounding so good and being solid state is really attractive to me too, because there's no tube maintenance to deal with.

Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Yes, I love these amps too. But Seventeen Seconds is probably my all-time favorite album, so it's to be expected.

IMO solid state is severely underrated. I got rid of two Fender tube amps this year. Quite satisfied with my Orange Crush.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

This IS appealing... I'm also a big Cure fan, and would love to play my VI through a JazzChorus. That said, I am currently running through a '72 Twin Reverb, and and AC30; this would be a bit more portable than either of those, but, perhaps still a bit on the big side for a "smaller" amp.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
luciguci

Post by luciguci »

Ankhanu wrote:This IS appealing... I'm also a big Cure fan, and would love to play my VI through a JazzChorus. That said, I am currently running through a '72 Twin Reverb, and and AC30; this would be a bit more portable than either of those, but, perhaps still a bit on the big side for a "smaller" amp.
There's also the Jazz Chorus JC-22, it's 30 watts and got two 6.5" speakers and only the chorus and reverb, but it's still got the stereo FX loop and Line Out jacks, which would also be real nice. Maybe a bit hard to fill a venue with alone but the Line Out would definitely be a big help for that.

I was able to find a pic of all three amps for size comparison, and it looks like a nice decent size,, not too small.
Doog wrote:Tone is stored in the balls
theshadowofseattle wrote:That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
🏳️‍⚧️🏳️‍🌈 (she/they)
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Gee thanks ;)
Now I have some research to do.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

at 34lbs, it's a lightweight compared to its full size counterpart. I imagine 40 watts is still plenty of headroom for those cleans.
Jopn

Post by Jopn »

Nice that they cut out the dirt channel on the smaller amps. If you're going to cut something out of a JC120, that's the place to do it!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I had a JC160 as my second amp. Was cheaper than a Squier affinity Strat too. All I remember is that it was massive and loud af.

Used a smaller JC combo recently for recording, and it sounded ok in the room but fucking gash when hearing it back. Completely flat and bland.

TL'DR: These amps are boring even if you're a Cure fanboy.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Jopn

Post by Jopn »

Noirie. wrote:I had a JC160 as my second amp. Was cheaper than a Squier affinity Strat too. All I remember is that it was massive and loud af.

Used a smaller JC combo recently for recording, and it sounded ok in the room but fucking gash when hearing it back. Completely flat and bland.

TL'DR: These amps are boring even if you're a Cure fanboy.
I think it's another "it's all in how you use it" scenario.

July Talk gets some wicked tones out of their JC120s
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Get a ZT lunchbox and a good chorus pedal.
XY