Flotsam and Jetsam: A Shortscale Collective

For all non-guitar instruments; mandolins, synths, kazoos, and anything else musical that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Flotsam and Jetsam: A Shortscale Collective

Post by Bacchus »

Excuse the self-important title....

There was talk of posting musical ideas that we've each been working on. I, personally, would find this useful in terms of keeping me motivated and feeding the unconscious.

I'd like to hear input from other members, but I think the following would be a useful approach.

1. When posting a track, begin your post with the following template

Code: Select all

Link to file:
DAW/Platform:
VST/AUs Required (if any):
Brief description of track as it is:
Suggestion as to what might happen next:
2. Try to minimise the use of AUs or VSTs that other members might not have.

3. Everything is up for grabs and nothing is precious! As soon as you post something here, it no longer belongs to you. So feel free to ignore OP suggestions as to what the piece might become. Similarly, don't be annoyed if somebody takes your work and bastardises it into something unrecognisable and contrary to your intentions. That's the point!

4. Let's not be precious about making fully finished pieces with this. This is more about process than outcome, being creative and surprising yourself.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Link to file: http://dropcanvas.com/e09jg
DAW/Platform: Ableton Live Suite 10
VST/AUs Required (if any): None (although some of the effects might not be in the non-Suite version of Ableton
Brief description of track as it is: Simple (slightly dull) 707 drumbeat with a few basslines. The basslines are ones that I've had knocking around for ages. I've added slightly odd funk guitar and a bit of melodic synth.
Suggestion as to what might happen next: Drums could do with more variation. Synth parts aren't fully convincing.
lorez

Post by lorez »

This might need me to upgrade to ableton 10, I’ve been looking for a reason :)

Just a note, if people want to use vsts maybe sticking to some free ones like the TAL ones?

Wife’s birthday celebrations this weekend but I’ll download and take look as the bbq cools down
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Wicked. Off camping this weekend but will dl on a Sunday evening.

So you want a link to the project file, as opposed to just a link to the soundcloud stream?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Plus, jinx. Guess noone’s Interested in work on a Friday.

Your format is cleaner
www.lowrisemusic.com

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

gusman2x wrote:So you want a link to the project file, as opposed to just a link to the soundcloud stream?
I think it will be more useful for hacking each other's music etc.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Ok, time to get this downloaded and have a tinker
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Link to file: http://dropcanvas.com/#7Zf82fd9hD17r6
VST/AUs Required (if any): None (although some of the effects might not be in the non-Suite version of Ableton
Brief description of track as it is: This started off with me having a go at some fairly chromatic harmony in the style of the middle part of a Chopin Prelude (Op28 No15, Chopin fans). I've put a beat over the top and had a stab at fitting a melody to it. The melody isn't right.
Suggestion as to what might happen next: No idea. I'm struggling with creating a second section given how quick the beat is in the current section. Anything I try to do ends up being a bit weak and unconvincing. I think a complete break into a completely different set of sounds might work.

Something weird keeps happening with this one for me: The brass melody keeps playing at a different tempo and I have to stop the entire session and start again for it to sync. Dunno if this a hardware issue with the computer not being powerful enough or if there's some really obvious Ableton sync feature that I've fallen afoul of.
Last edited by Bacchus on Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Link to file: http://dropcanvas.com/#g5kv88nSF2j0ZK
Brief description of track as it is: Doomey droney fuzz. Dunno if there's anything worth pursuing in this, but I'm having fun making and hearing horrible noises.
Suggestion as to what might happen next:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Are these downloading and opening okay? I'm not sure about dropcanvas yet...
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I will try Thursday morning. I've made no time to look at anything yet. I have no idea how to share projects, but once I have seen yours (oo er), then I'll figure it out.
www.lowrisemusic.com

lorez

Post by lorez »

tried downloading and all hell broke loose with warning messages:
Google Chrome blocks downloads
Chrome automatically blocks harmful downloads that try to cause problems on your computer, such as:

Giving you viruses
Leaking your private data
Changing your browser and computer settings
Adding unwanted extensions or toolbars to your browser
Why the download was blocked
Your file download may have been blocked for one of two reasons:

We think it might be a malicious, unwanted or uncommon file.
Malicious: You tried downloading malware.
Unwanted: You tried downloading a deceptive piece of software. This program, disguised as a helpful download, may actually make unexpected changes to your computer.
Uncommon: You tried to download an unfamiliar and potentially dangerous piece of software.
We've found that the website from which you tried to download the file has been known to distribute malware.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Bugger.

Any better ideas? Was hoping to use the uploader but it doesn't support zip files (which is the easiest way of aggregating stuff into one file that I can see).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Bugger.

Any better ideas? Was hoping to use the uploader but it doesn't support zip files (which is the easiest way of aggregating stuff into one file that I can see).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

gusman2x wrote:I will try Thursday morning. I've made no time to look at anything yet. I have no idea how to share projects, but once I have seen yours (oo er), then I'll figure it out.
Yeah, Ableton is odd. It'll save different sets within a project folder. The project folder will contain the sets (.als files) and all the audio material, samples etc in separate folders. If you share just the .als, it's removed from all that stuff.

The way to do it is to open the .als, save as somewhere else, and then save again using Collect All and Save. There might be an easier way of doing this, but this is the way that worked for me.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Bacchus wrote:
gusman2x wrote:I will try Thursday morning. I've made no time to look at anything yet. I have no idea how to share projects, but once I have seen yours (oo er), then I'll figure it out.
Yeah, Ableton is odd. It'll save different sets within a project folder. The project folder will contain the sets (.als files) and all the audio material, samples etc in separate folders. If you share just the .als, it's removed from all that stuff.

The way to do it is to open the .als, save as somewhere else, and then save again using Collect All and Save. There might be an easier way of doing this, but this is the way that worked for me.
PROTIP!

Thank you
www.lowrisemusic.com

lorez

Post by lorez »

Dropbox or wetransfer is what I use, I’ll pm you my email address to share them with me
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Yeah, I just tried to download the previously linked file and chrome blocked it.

I normally use we transfer too. If anyone wants to PM me and we could set up a email sharing group?
www.lowrisemusic.com

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I've been horrendously depressed and not been posting in here. Have making music though so I'll get back on it now that I'm a bit better!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Funny, I've been the same actually, except I've not been making music, and have instead tried to fill the void with internet surfing. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad mistake.

I've got some stuff to work on this week so will hopefully have some new stuff to share. I will share the last couple of tracks I have as project files.

How should we share files, should we all exchange emails for those that want to play?

Hope you're feeling better. If you're not, then we can put a lot of 2017 air horns on the tracks you've done. I'm sure that'd help.
www.lowrisemusic.com