Strat with vintage Esquire neck?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Doug

Strat with vintage Esquire neck?

Post by Doug »

Check this out, mates...Ian Moore creating some great power pop with a surprising partscaster...Strat body and Esquire neck (i.e. a pre-Tele Esquire)... Hey guitar techs, how they do dat, eh?

]
Doug
cur

Post by cur »

[youtube][/youtube]

Any pics of the guitar in question?

NickS

Post by NickS »

YouTube wrote:This video is not available
paul_

Post by paul_ »

It's called The Bastard.

It's not actually a pre-Tele Esquire neck, it's a '55. Pre-Tele (or Broadcaster) Esquires didn't have truss rods.* The Strat body and it's parts are mostly '62.
I'm unsure as to whether the question is as open/shut as it appears, but I guess they did a tiny bit of routing? Likely to the body.
Ian Moore has since had replicas of this guitar made (physically, not visually) with reissue/licensed parts.
► Show Spoiler
*During the Broadcaster R&D phase Leo Fender had all these big-band country guitarists pitching in... after they complained that it didn't have a truss rod, Leo once took one of those early all-rock-maple necks and laid it across the arms of a hotel chair, then climbed up onto the neck and stood on it with his full weight (he was a stout and pudgy fellow) saying "see, you don't need a truss rod! This baby will never break!"
The guitarists all said "yeah, now take it in the luggage compartment of a bus to a different climate, at which point it warps and you get dead frets and action problems."
Truss rod thankfully made it onto the final 2-pickup version. String trees also came to the design of Fender necks courtesy of those dudes' input.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Some strat bodies have "ears" in the neck pocket pocket that are said to allow installation of a Tele neck
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Here they are
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.