NGD: CAR Strat

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

Nick wrote:Ah that's kinda shitty. They can't be all the places all the time though....I tend to not pay attention to craigslist/facebook ad groups and just go out on a Saturday morning first thing and look for signs, since not everyone advertises on facebook or craigslist.
Blackbird in Orlando at least is reasonably priced and has quirkier stuff (That's where I bought my Rickenfaker and my Traynor 4x8 amp). Walt Grace Vintage in Miami is very well curated, and very much *amber*, but there's 4 breweries walking distance from it.

The store in South Beach has very cool gear, but horrible hours (9pm-3am).
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

mkt3000 wrote:
Nick wrote:Ah that's kinda shitty. They can't be all the places all the time though....I tend to not pay attention to craigslist/facebook ad groups and just go out on a Saturday morning first thing and look for signs, since not everyone advertises on facebook or craigslist.
Blackbird in Orlando at least is reasonably priced and has quirkier stuff (That's where I bought my Rickenfaker and my Traynor 4x8 amp). Walt Grace Vintage in Miami is very well curated, and very much *amber*, but there's 4 breweries walking distance from it.

The store in South Beach has very cool gear, but horrible hours (9pm-3am).
It’s crazy that you mention Blackbird, my girlfriend and I went to that Better Than Sex dessert shop next to it two nights ago for our anniversary. It was late at night so I didn’t get to go inside, but they had a blue competition Stang on the wall
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Cleaned up nicely! Still need to tinker with the setup and pickup height etc... may go with a parchment pick guard when I inevitably upgrade the electronics but it works for now
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Current combination of white on white looks super simple and classy to me. Are Lace pickups actually humbuckers or true single coils?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Technically single coil

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The shielding RADIANT FIELD BARRIERS work wonders, dead quiet even in my noisy basement.

The red/silver/blue set is a bit more than I was expecting, in a good way. Such a different guitar from my 68ri now. The sensors are great pickups for people who don't like the strat sound, or already have a normal strat. Super compressed, tight eq and sustain for days. I'm not 100% sold on the blue in the neck position, it's a good sounding pickup but there's just so much low end already up in the neck on a strat. I might get along better with a Silver/Silver/Red combo in the long run but I'm going to stick with it for now, I might change my mind.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love the red/silver/blue set I have. Not stratty, but still a strat.

I don't get that super compressed thing with the blue though, it sounds fairly big and chimey in my guitar.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

So as of that last post I had only really played it through my 68 DRRI.

Tonight I played it through my Orange OR15, and my opinions are different now. Through the Fender, the silver has the nice warm straty sound, and the neck pickup is too bass-heavy. Through the Orange, which has more mid-range tendencies as well as a three band EQ, the blue pickup sounded much nicer and mellow. The silver on the other hand was nasally to the point of being unusable, at least with the flat EQ settings. The red sounded good in its own way through either amp.

I'll figure this out, might post a video tomorrow to give you and others an idea of what I'm talking about. I think I'm just used to having a guitar with more/less similar pickups in all positions, and just using the switch for different tones of the same voice. These pickups are all voiced differently which is great for versatility's sake, it's just clashing with what I know, which is kinda fun in its own way.