The Telecaster Neck Pickup

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

kingkiller wrote:
Fran wrote:Well, fitted the Kent Armstrong and its even more woolly sounding than the other pickup :lol:

Nothing like the sound samples on the Armstrong website.

I'm coming to the conclusion it's just the guitar.

Probably just your fingers
Aye, woolly fingers...
XY
paulnb57

Post by paulnb57 »

Wilkinson Tele neck pickup with the cover removed works for me...cheap as chips too....
Cover me in Chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

One of my pupils brought in his guitar today. It was one of the metallic green affinity teles. Really nice and fun. Made me remember how much fun a simple guitar is to rock on.

Made me decide to make them want to learn Communication Breakdown.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Fran wrote:
Thom wrote:Lol oh dear! Sounds like you got the Jagstang of the Tele world Fran :lol:
:lol:

At least the bridge is good.
You could always turn it into an Esquire and put Cap on the switch to.give the already good sounding bridge pup more tonal options?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thom wrote:Lol oh dear! Sounds like you got the Jagstang of the Tele world Fran :lol:
Haha was about to say the same

I'd try wiring it straight to the output to ensure it's not something weird happening with the other controls?
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Does it have 250k pots? Try 500k if so, most modern teles use them and it will brighten up the sound of both pickups. I find most traditional-looking Tele neck units to be muddier than a Strat pickup regardless, though. The “Twisted Tele� (as you’ll no doubt have noticed by this point of the thread) is most readily recommended to people trying to deal through this, but stands to reason a Strat pickup up there would do as well or better sound-wise, at the cost of the stock trad Tele look. They make Lace Sensor Tele neck pickups too (again getting away from tradition a bit but keeping the look this time).

The Jag-Stang is just a humbucker swap on the MIJ Mustang assemblies they had ready to go (250k vol and tone pots) which is the main part of why they sound so muddy. Once I changed the pots in mine I didn’t really mind the way it sounded at all, though you do lose that ideal voicing on the vintagey Strat pickup in the neck (and I’m not saying this JS setup is an ideal sound either, just a smarter starting point for that design and what it was meant to sound like).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

It does have 250k pots, might be an idea!
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Strat neck pickup in all teles. If you don't put a cover on it, it'll fit in the pickguard with no cutting.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.