Ernie Ball Paradigms to Stop Unwinding Jaguar/Jazz e Strings

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

George

Ernie Ball Paradigms to Stop Unwinding Jaguar/Jazz e Strings

Post by George »

Context and Preamble
Like me, some of you lads no doubt have the curse of top e strings unwinding at the ball-end when using a Jazzmaster/Jaguar tremolo, particularly with lighter gauge strings. For me this has happened with loads of popular off-the-shelf strings: Ernie Ball Slinkys, Daddario XLs, Elixir Nanowebs, Rotosounds.

People come up with all sorts of remedies for this:

- Check your intonation - Trust me, it's fine
- Check for sharp burrs on the string insert - None, and I've done the sandpaper-wrapped-around-a-pencil thing
- Use heavier gauge strings - No?
- Solder around the winding - Lol, I even did this once, didn't work, and I wouldn't want to do this anyway

Maybe we need to rethink our perspective that these strings simply aren't good enough for the job? I play 9s on a 25.5" scale, love using a Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolo, and want to keep it that way.

In fact, the only strings which have reliably not unwound at some point are Fender Bullets (tip-off from dots iirc), which also look very sleek at the tailpiece because no windings are on display. I've been using these for a few years now, the problem is my heart still beats Ernie Ball and Fender Bullets sound like garbage after only a few weeks no matter how often I clean the strings (worst tone roll-off of any string I've used, although they still feel alright). Also, my local shop doesn't sell them.

Following a barrage of adverts in my Facebook feed and reading reviews, I've decided to try out the new(ish) Ernie Ball Paradigms, which supposedly do not break or corrode and retain the same tone and feel of Slinkys for up to 90 days. They also have a guarantee on this and will replace for breakage or corrosion (good thing because they cost £15!). So well done, the marketing has worked on me.

If these sound like EB Slinkys and don't break or unwind after 90 days, these will be my new string of choice. Otherwise, it's likely back to Fender Bullets.

The Test
I installed these last night and plan to report back in 90 days on their overall performance. I am not so much bothered about the strings dulling a bit, I actually like how Slinkys age (and don't expect miracles). The main thing I'm after is no e string unwinding. I will also be regularly cleaning the strings as I would any other set.

The guitar is my project 25.5" with MIJ Jazzmaster tremolo and a roller tune-o-matic bridge. It also has an Earvana nut and reversed angled headstock (custom Warmoth Wizard II style neck I got off eBay)

First impressions
Sound good but feel a lot tighter than regular EBs. Hopefully they'll loosen up a bit more in the coming days. The windings also look completely different to other strings - more "engineered" and robust looking.

(apologies for the long preamble, but I thought I'd stick all the terminology in for people Googling this issue to help with traffic as I couldn't find anything else online, also other Shortscalers might not be familiar with this problem).

TL;DR
Most strings I've tried are shit for Jaguar/Jazzmaster tremolos because the top e unwinds. I'm challenging the EB Paradigm 90 day guarantee to see if they're any better, and that they retain their freshness.
George

Post by George »

Demo - 3 days in
Wanted to do this on day 1 but I'm lazy. Have done a quick a demo of some badly played open-tuned wankery using a Sansamp Vox-style clone straight into DAW (no compression etc.). Should have dialled in a nicer tone but everything at 12 o'clock will be easier to remember in 3 months' time!

http://bestnetworx.com/uploader/files/4 ... gmtest.mp3

1. Bridge clean
2. Neck clean
3. Neck dirty
4. Bridge dirty

Will be interesting to hear the difference.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I've never had this happen? Is this a real thing?
dots wrote:incesticide
George

Post by George »

It is for me. Don’t you use 12s or something?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've never had it happen either in 25+ years of playing Jags. At least, not that I can recall.

Been using D'Addarios for probably the last 10-15 years. Mainly Chromes (10s or 11s) but I've got some NYXLs (10s, think they might be the balanced tension ones) on one of mine at the moment.

Maybe it's something to do with the increased tension on 25.5" scale guitars?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
George

Post by George »

Quite possibly, and 9s. I never had it happen on my Jaguar (except once?) but also used 10s or 11s.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Pretty sure I've never put 9s on my Jag so that could be it.

Anyway, good luck with your experiment. Hopefully the EBs you're trying will hold up.

At what point do you tend to experience the unwinding? Soon after putting on a new set or further down the line?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
George

Post by George »

Hard to remember because I’ve been using Fender Bullets for so long. Varied - usually after a week, usually before a month?
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

You can flip the two outer trem screws upside down thru the plate if they’re catching.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I usually use 9's and never had it happen but then, I never used the trem much to be honest.
George

Post by George »

I'm always ragging that trem. Some videos were taken of this NYE wedding gig we did and I'm doing "tasteful" wobbles and light dives on almost every hanging chord. Thought it sounded the nuts but watching it back the overuse makes it sound cheesy and a bit cringe :lol:
Johno

Post by Johno »

Noirie. wrote:You can flip the two outer trem screws upside down thru the plate if they’re catching.
I did this on the screw that goes under the high E/B strings as they were unwinding. I got that tip from M&M guitar bar website.http://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ll-follow/

I also solder the ends before I string up. I've not had any strings unwind since... 3 years and counting.
NickD

Post by NickD »

I use 10-52s and am terrible for changing strings very rarely. I've never had this happen. Mainly Jazzmasters BTW
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I found EBs did this, D'Addario not so much. 10s, not sure about 11s. I used the solder on the wind trick, and it never let me down. But for sure EBs were the worst.

I tried the bullets, but hated the feel. They were so tight. It was like going up 2 gauges.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

George wrote:I'm always ragging that trem. Some videos were taken of this NYE wedding gig we did and I'm doing "tasteful" wobbles and light dives on almost every hanging chord. Thought it sounded the nuts but watching it back the overuse makes it sound cheesy and a bit cringe :lol:
Saw a band playing in a cafe and their guitarist did that almost in every song which made me wanna throw something at him. He also had tons of reverb and all together it sounded awful
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

There are songs where that kind of tremolo use belongs though. I don't like when people try to squeeze it where it originally doesn't. Especially in some medium pace to fast pace songs it may sound and look like too much wanking
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
George

Post by George »

Say that to my face not online and see what happens.
George

Post by George »

But yeah you're right, that's exactly what I was doing. Thankfully I've had the chance to hear myself recorded so can reflect on it. If it's my own material then it's fair game but cover songs, nahhhh.

Also glad to see someone else (Gus) has experienced the issue I'm referring to, you gaslighting ****s.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

hmmm... if the new set of slinky's doesn't do the trick, maybe a hybrid set of strings (bottom heavy) will help out? kinda surprised at the issues you're having with the bullets as i've used them for years and found them pretty durable. are you using super bullets or the standard? supers are nickel plated (my string of choice), so maybe that's the difference? if not, yeah, that's a pickle. admittedly, i rarely use trem on the guitars i have with them, so this is an odd phenomenon to me. hope you get it sorted, and thanks for putting your results (wordiness and all) in the forum. =]
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

If you get a good deal maybe fit a AVRI trem on there George. Is a direct fit.

I’d give what me and Johno mentioned a while back a try though.