NGD Fender Musicmaster

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Johno

NGD Fender Musicmaster

Post by Johno »

Belated NGD post.

Picked up a 1978 Musicmaster a few weeks back complete with original WRHB.
Always been curious about the WRHB as I never really got on with HB's but I quite like this one.
Still find myself reaching for the non existent tremolo & the neck feels slighter fatter than my other guitars but its a great sounding fun guitar. Still tinkering with the 3 saddle bridge.
Here are some pics with its SS pals! (a 70's Mustang I bought off Pat & a 64 Jag scored on Offset)

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

That looks great.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nice, know it's not the subject of the thrread but I love that mustang.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Nick wrote:Nice, know it's not the subject of the thrread but I love that mustang.
I bought that off Pat a couple years ago. Its been re fretted & had a Staytrem bridge dropped in as it suffered the classic e string slippage.
Also bought an original 60's tort guard & some white pup covers.
The switches has been rewired & sunken lower with a couple washers.
The switch closer to the neck Is a 3 way pup selector
Switch nearer the bridge is In phase/out of phase/bass boost.

I love it but has a very thin neck so short bursts or I get a cramp.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

my friend Dan used to have this back in 2005.

good times with that thing.

[youtube][/youtube]

his was wired straight to the humbucker and the single coil was left in but not connected
dots wrote:incesticide
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Three perfect guitars.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Dreamguitars!!! All of them :shock: :shock: :shock:
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

I've got a black 1978 musicmaster, and I love the neck on it. Quite thick, as you say.

How does the humbucker sound?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I didn't realise some Musicmasters came stock with WRHBs! This looks purdy...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I don't think they ever did? I guess when Johno says "original WRHB", he means someone put a real one in there, not one of the reissues
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Ahhhhh.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Doog wrote:I don't think they ever did? I guess when Johno says "original WRHB", he means someone put a real one in there, not one of the reissues
Correct, modded before I got my mitts on it.
markarkark wrote:I've got a black 1978 musicmaster, and I love the neck on it. Quite thick, as you say.

How does the humbucker sound?
Well the single coil in the neck sounds lovely & warm.
The humbucker has less bass is a bit hotter as its pushes the amp into gain & sounds a bit quacky/phasey..... I'm starting to wonder whether the switch has been wired back to front? Going to open it up later & check.
Either way a lot of sounds to be had from those two pickups.

I really really like the neck, so much more comfy compared to the Mustang, perhaps my Mustang neck is thinner than usual?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Neck thicknesses were all over the shop in the 60s and 70s. The only ones i’ve Played that have had a familiar feel were the Musicmaster’s I’ve owned. They are also my favourite Shortscale’s to play. Every vintage Mustang I’ve had/played varied from super thin all the way to ultra chunky. The Bronco I had years ago had the thickest neck on any fender i’ve Ever had.

This guitar looks amazing, the combo of those pickups is perfect.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Thomas wrote:Neck thicknesses were all over the shop in the 60s and 70s. The only ones i’ve Played that have had a familiar feel were the Musicmaster’s I’ve owned. They are also my favourite Shortscale’s to play. Every vintage Mustang I’ve had/played varied from super thin all the way to ultra chunky. The Bronco I had years ago had the thickest neck on any fender i’ve Ever had.

This guitar looks amazing, the combo of those pickups is perfect.
Ah didn't realise they varied so much. Was going to try shopping for a old neck (shame as i've had this one refretted) but may be easier to get a new one from Allparts.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Johno wrote: Well the single coil in the neck sounds lovely & warm.
The humbucker has less bass is a bit hotter as its pushes the amp into gain & sounds a bit quacky/phasey..... I'm starting to wonder whether the switch has been wired back to front? Going to open it up later & check.
Only if this is in the neck-and-bridge position; a humbucker shouldn't sound phase and quacky on its own?? Unless someones repaired it and fucked it up..

Here's some samples of Lollar's version of the WRHB to compare with: http://soundcloud.com/lollarpickups/se ... -humbucker
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Lollar usually redesignes pickups to his own specs to make them sound... jucier from what I know
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Doog wrote:
Johno wrote: Well the single coil in the neck sounds lovely & warm.
Only if this is in the neck-and-bridge position; a humbucker shouldn't sound phase and quacky on its own?? Unless someones repaired it and fucked it up..

Here's some samples of Lollar's version of the WRHB to compare with: http://soundcloud.com/lollarpickups/se ... -humbucker
All sorted now, I lowered the pickup & it sounds like I'd expect. Its more balanced with the single coil now. Also fun matching the poles to each string for a nice even spread.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

noice
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

heh, i have committed that sin in a past life... "PUT THEM POLES RIGHT UNDERNEATH THE STRINGS FOR MAXIMUM MET0LZ"
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Yep, the secret to my Marlin Sidewindertonez