1975 Fender Tele Deluxe

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

NickD wrote:If it had a rosewood fretboard cites would be an issue though.
I've also never had an issue with this when flying with guitars with rosewood boards. I think that's more to do with importing and exporting.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Gabriel wrote:
NickD wrote:If it had a rosewood fretboard cites would be an issue though.
I've also never had an issue with this when flying with guitars with rosewood boards. I think that's more to do with importing and exporting.
For vintage guitars (with Brazilian rosewood, or what the customs officers think might be Brazilian rosewood) it affects travelling with them as well as importing and exporting. It's a bit of a minefield.
NickS

Post by NickS »

NickD

Post by NickD »

While not being wrong, the section that mentions vintage guitars is dangerously misleading. You can import/export/travel with a vintage non Brazilian rosewood guitar as much as you like, as long as it predates the recent cites law.

However, there is an existing cites law that restricts the movement of Brazilian rosewood in a similar way to how ivory for example is restricted, and many vintage Fenders, Gibsons and Martins, among others were built using Brazilian rosewood.

You absolutely need a Cites certificate to travel with your pre '70 Gibson SG or pre '65 Jazzmaster. Later vintage guitars? By those manuufacturers supposedly didn't include Brazilian rosewood, but you are relying on the knowledge of the customs officer to know that.

You are (or at least were) restricted on the airports you can bring a Guitar with Cites documentation in through - quite a restriction for touring musicians.

You can apply for a Musical Instrument Certificate un the UK, which meets UK requirements and precludes the need for a Cites certificate, but you are still subject to import restrictions in the country you are travelling to.

I can't remember, but I think there may need to be some proof of when the instrument was originally sold/came into the UK, and who has that on a vintage guitar?

Do bands get away with moving undocumented vintage guitars with Brazilian rosewood? Yes, of course they do. Would I, considering how much they cost? No.

Like I said, it's a minefield
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

[youtube][/youtube]
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Thanks for showing off the sounds. Loved the neck and middle positions every time but thought the bridge didn't really shine until some gain was added but that was just my takeaway. Seems like a wonderful instrument all together
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I love that bridge pickup crunch sound. Wish they still made the Wide Range pickups for real
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Really like the sound of the neck pickup clean tone and all the drive tones were class.
XY
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks guys, the bridge pickup is very bright. Usually I back off the tone a little as that tames the high end a little. But the wide range pickups are very interesting for sure.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

From 0:00 to about 0:03 I thought you were playing Santeria by Sublime haha.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Hope nobody at the customs sees this video. Looks and sounds very nicely !
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Great to finally hear a clear representation of what Wide Range Humbuckers really sound like.

Sadly it means the hype is real - those are some incredible sounding pickups. Jeepers creepers.