New cheap strat day

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

New cheap strat day

Post by dezb1 »

Bought this for £30 has a few dings, body is made of Paulownia, unbelievably light weight; so light I actually weighed it! (Not somethibg ive ever done before 4.7lb).

Haven't played it yet spent about 15 minutes trying and failing to tune it only to find there's bits missing from the trem so decided to change the guard and clean it up - will get new strings tomorrow

Sorting the trem and going with a black guard I had in my spares box
XY
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That's very nice. Do an SRV.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Bacchus wrote:That's very nice. Do an SRV.
Play it while checking out my own arse?

Unlike SRV I'm going for black knobs...
XY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Some of them Encores are okay, is it one of the Blaster Series? Trev Wilkinson was behind them, he said it was a difficult challenge to make a giggable guitar on such a low budget, but believed he'd achieved it.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dezb1 wrote:
Looole

Do an Johnny Vaughan

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Doog wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
Looole

Do an Johnny Vaughan

Its already bald.
XY
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

dezb1 wrote:

Unlike SRV I'm going for black knobs...
MOAR PLEATS !!!
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Cheap Strat days are the best days of an average week.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

paul_ wrote:Cheap Strats are the ultimate do it all electric guitars and nobody really needs anything else.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Also
dezb1 wrote:body is made of Paulownia
Bacchus wrote:That's very nice.
paul_ wrote:Yeah!
Nice grain on big bits of paulownia (I've only had a Fiesta finished Strat body done up in it so haven't ever really looked at it closely) which is convenient given the light weight and sourcability. I think Fender will be using it a lot more in the future due to it's appearance on the Brad Paisley Tele but it's hard to tell given the specialized construction they used it with which was likely a light-weight concern across the board mixed with some acoustic guitar theory (a sort of semi-hollow made with a carved out paulownia slab and spruce top).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

paul_ wrote:Also
dezb1 wrote:body is made of Paulownia
Bacchus wrote:That's very nice.
paul_ wrote:Yeah!
Nice grain on big bits of paulownia (I've only had a Fiesta finished Strat body done up in it so haven't ever really looked at it closely) which is convenient given the light weight and sourcability. I think Fender will be using it a lot more in the future due to it's appearance on the Brad Paisley Tele but it's hard to tell given the specialized construction they used it with which was likely a light-weight concern across the board mixed with some acoustic guitar theory (a sort of semi-hollow made with a carved out paulownia slab and spruce top).

The grain is crackin looking, the whole guitar weighs about 4.5lb - was having a look on YouTube and some of the botique builders on there are using it a fair bit. Apparently it's very fast growing and as environmentally friendly as a guitar wood can be.
XY
NickS

Post by NickS »

It's certainly fast-growing, my mother-in-law had trouble with one that her neighbour was given as a present.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Fran wrote:Some of them Encores are okay, is it one of the Blaster Series? Trev Wilkinson was behind them, he said it was a difficult challenge to make a giggable guitar on such a low budget, but believed he'd achieved it.
Aye, it's a Blaster old Trev did a no bad job - all guitar tech parts, the machine heads cost more than I paid for the guitar. Have spent the morning playing Chic and Inxs songs - that's the kind of noise it makes the pickups are quite hot sounding so I've dropped them pretty low.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I'm now up to £48 in money in it... I've paid ten times that for guitars that aren't half as good. If it's still in favour be t month I'm going to put a Wilkinson trem I have in the garage on it next string change.
XY