Talk to me about Telecasters

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Doog wrote:
Bacchus wrote:It'll be grand. Fuck intonation, guitars are imperfect anyway.
oh right yeah why bother tuning or having frets at all then lol
Bro your snare drum head looks like Bea Arthur's face. Stooooopit
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Buy a 100 dollar telecaster from guitar fetish, put an old squier51 neck on it, rip out the stupid neck pickup completely and cover it up with an Esquire pickguard.

BOOM SQUIER ESQUEIR for 150 bucks.

Spend the other 850 on blow and sex

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

George wrote:And flip the control plate
NO!
XY
lorez

Post by lorez »

robroe wrote:Buy a 100 dollar telecaster from guitar fetish, put an old squier51 neck on it, rip out the stupid neck pickup completely and cover it up with an Esquire pickguard.

BOOM SQUIER ESQUEIR for 150 bucks.

Spend the other 850 on blow and sex

I that the one I ended up with? That was a brutal guitar and wish I hadn't sold it
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Hell yeah!!!

That neck was fucking BUTTER

so butter that I got a second squier51 neck from Aen when I built double bound squier custom esquier #3 bro!!!

I've cobbled together 3 of these now and like them more than any other telecaster I have ever picked up in a store or someones floor.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Yo if I didnt know how to put this shit together myself though i would buy that squier special tele with the JMJM neck and pickup though in the first post.

Played a couple in shops and loved the feel. Super gloss neck. Felt just like an old MIJ fender.

http://reverb.com/p/squier-vintage-mod ... rce=google

lorez

Post by lorez »

robroe wrote:Hell yeah!!!

That neck was fucking BUTTER

so butter that I got a second squier51 neck from Aen when I built double bound squier custom esquier #3 bro!!!

I've cobbled together 3 of these now and like them more than any other telecaster I have ever picked up in a store or someones floor.
i spent so long just playing it in drop d through a rat and feeling like every punk rock / hardcore dream was a reality. Shit I need to get something like that back in to my life
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I think I sold it to Fran and then it ended up with you.

Loved that guitar. I remember it had 5 slot heads and one modern tuner for the high E.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Bajas are great. Don't flip the control plate - I thought it would be great, but it wasn't. 72 customs are also brilliant (you'll want to swap the neck pickup eventually, mind) and are weirdly cheap secondhand. I have a pink tele and I love it - buy that Baja.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

A Baja Tele is one of the few guitars that I think I still really, really need, rather than just wanting it. I remember when they came out, and I'd just been paid the first paypacket of a shite call centre job I had as a student. I so nearly bought one, but it was too expensive to justify spending the money on. I thought I should be sensible and keep the money for other stuff, like bread and that.

It was £375. I have no idea what that money ended up being wasted on, but I know that I didn't nearly starve that month, and that I don't have a Baja Tele. Should have bought it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

BROOOOOOOOO

$32

+

$75

plus a 5$ parchment solid fuckin esquier cover and trade some shit for a squier51 neck...everyone on here' has like 3 of them. Mickie bought like 24 of them when they were 100 dollars close out

AND YOU GOT SOME SHIT FOR 100 DOLLARS THAT YOU FUCKIN BUILT WITH YOUR OWN SHIT THATS BETTER THAN ANYTHING IN THE 500-800 DOLLAR RANGE
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

also

IS THIS FUCKING THING EVER GOING TO COME OUT?

I WANT TO BUY ONE AND TAKE IT TO ALBQ IN MY BACKPACK TO MELT FACES

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Alt ... -Guitar.gc
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I've been super tempted by the Baja teles I've played. for me nothing beats the classic vibes, the one I have feels just as good as any fender I've played, one day I'll treat it to some really good pickups to get the most out've it, but for the money CV teles can be gems.

edit: no cool colors though, so Bajas may be the winner if you're trying to splurge.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

As much as I’m sure the Harley Benton/Guitar Fetish options are decent, the whole point is that I already have a cheap Tele which I love, and now I wanna treat myself. Honestly, I probably don’t need it. But I’m a grown ass man and I feel like I deserve to have a “nice� guitar for once.

Ideally I’d like to A/B a Baja and a Player series to see if it’s worth the price difference. Jeez, imagine if I could still cop a second hand Baja for under £500, huh? Then it would be job done.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

You should be able to get a Baja under £500, surely? I wouldn't pay much more than that (much as I love them). Didn't spot how much that pink one was before I pointed you at it. It's grim there, but join thefretboard.com - really good Classifieds. And like I say, the best value tele lately (I alomost bought one when I was waiting on that Italia) seems to be the 72 deluxe. I really loved my old one.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

sonic blue tele custom pantara model
http://reverb.com/item/26728043-demo-m ... sonic-blue

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

CME exclusive daphne blue player telecaster -675$

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/li ... e/22201031

benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Rob, you need to factor in a lousy exhange rate, CITES for rosewood necks, the hike in delivery costs and the fact we pay 22% import tax on everything coming in from the states.

Freddy, you need to explore the very real possibility of buying a guitar while you're in the US and bringing it back in as luggage.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I'll never be able to comprehend why people who never touch their onboard volume but do change pickup selection on occasion think flipping the Tele control plate is a good idea. I get why Jeff Beck might like it, but for JS/shortscale dudes who strongly advocated for it in the early '00s it was literally just an armsock/go-faster stripe thing to do.

I tried building my dream Tele (in photoshop terms) ten years ago. I used mostly GFS parts to construct a butterscotch Tele Custom, trying to make the project as cheap as possible. I ended up spending around $400 and the guitar sucked ass; I literally threw it away apart from pickups and bridge, the only parts that had retained any monetary value.
The following year I tried again and basically made my own version of a Fender '62 RI with a "no expense spared" attitude, and used AllParts '62 neck/hardware and AVRI pickups with an MIM Standard body. I later put a single compensated saddle on it for the D and G strings. It cost about $600 to do and was perfect, it's still my main all-rounder.
When you're making a partscaster, don't buy cheap bullshit stuff (like GFS or Affinity-level necks) if your aim is merely to save money. You won't save enough, and all partscasters have less resale value than you'd ever expect unless they have vintage parts on them (and even then, you're basically selling the vintage part with some extras in the eyes of most virtual-window-shoppers).

A used MIM or MIJ reissue is still the safest route. If you don't like vintage radius you can sell the neck for the equivalent of a used Squier, and things like saddles and pickups can be changed.
Last edited by paul_ on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"