Talk to me about Telecasters

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

George

Post by George »

Use my volume pots all the time. More likely to use that during a song than change a pickup. The knurled knobs and position also make it good for swells.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I'm sure I assumed it was rob who'd mentioned it somewhere in the first 2 pages. There was seemingly a big push from everyone to do it here some years back. Having said that, I do use volume and tone knobs a lot (and hate Tele neck pickups, but not the middle position) and have never been tempted to move the switch that far away.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
George

Post by George »

Think it was me mentioning it. I first saw it as a country guitar mod to imitate a lap steel sound. Ultimately it’s not that significant whether volume or switch is nearer for regular adjustments but swells are a nice additional thing to have available. The position seems a bit more familiar to me as I use strat most of the time.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

benecol wrote:Rob, you need to factor in a lousy exhange rate, CITES for rosewood necks, the hike in delivery costs and the fact we pay 22% import tax on everything coming in from the states.

Freddy, you need to explore the very real possibility of buying a guitar while you're in the US and bringing it back in as luggage.
Yeah that's what I figured he was going to do anyway at NAMM. normally I'm not posting a bunch of American junk for yall
dots wrote:incesticide
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Bringing something home from NAMM isn’t a bad idea, actually! Although I generally have an absurd amount of luggage for conventions, so unsure how feasible it would be for me to actually carry a guitar on the plane. Does anyone have experience of bringing an instrument home and avoiding import taxes without it becoming a giant pain in the ass?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Freddy V-C wrote:Does anyone have experience of bringing an instrument home and avoiding import taxes without it becoming a giant pain in the ass?
Don’t try to smuggle one home in your arsehoel.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Take it apart and stuff it in a suitcase.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
George

Post by George »

Yeah neck off. If you capo the first fret you can even keep it strung up
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Noirie. wrote:Take it apart and stuff it in your arsehoel.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

NO CAPO

FUCK SAKE
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I contacted my airline once in order to negotiate bringing onboard "a fragile electric guitar". Their answer was "Nuhuh. Not gonna fly with us dipshit. Buy your dumb guitar a ticket" On the other hand people write about their positive experience of taking guitars onboard. As far as I understand they try to negotiate it at the desk while checking in. A bit risky to me, what if I am denied, should I just dump it right there and forget I've ever had it?

- Sir, is that your Gibson?
- Nope.
- Ok, sir. You can't just go dumping this shit here. Pick it up, proceed towards toilets and put your shit into a bin saying "Gibsons". Then wash your hands with soap and return to the line. I'll put you in front of it once you're done. Thank you.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

wish I had the means to get out've the country and see the UK I'd fuckin bring one to you. can't believe you guys aren't fucking with the neck and middle positions on your teles either because there's a lot of good tones to be had there. next time I crack mine open I might mod the wiring and install a 4 way switch to be like a Baja tele. been contemplating a white pick guard on it too.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Also do an doogcaster Jack on the control plate. Fuck a football jack.

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Josh wrote:wish I had the means to get out've the country and see the UK I'd fuckin bring one to you. can't believe you guys aren't fucking with the neck and middle positions on your teles either because there's a lot of good tones to be had there. next time I crack mine open I might mod the wiring and install a 4 way switch to be like a Baja tele. been contemplating a white pick guard on it too.
I’ve been thinking about modding (read: fixing) my Tele to have no volume, tone, or switching controls. One bridge pickup, straight to the output. Fuck an any pickup but bridge
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Get a nice Lindy Fralin bridge pickup and shove it up your arse.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Noirie. wrote:Get a nice Lindy Fralin bridge pickup and shove it up your arse.
No u
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

kingkiller wrote:I’ve been thinking about modding (read: fixing) my Tele to have no volume, tone, or switching controls. One bridge pickup, straight to the output. Fuck an any pickup but bridge
I'm with you in theory, I spend 99% of my time playing the bridge pickup with the volume and tone on full. BUT you'd be surprised how much high end is rolled off by the volume and tone knobs, even turned up to 10. I did a similar mod to an SG a while ago (both pickups on all the time, got rid of both tone knobs and one of the volume knobs) and it became SO SHRILL.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

robroe wrote:Yo if I didnt know how to put this shit together myself though i would buy that squier special tele with the JMJM neck and pickup though in the first post.

Played a couple in shops and loved the feel. Super gloss neck. Felt just like an old MIJ fender.

http://reverb.com/p/squier-vintage-mod ... rce=google

That would be a really cool guitar to own, even if the pickups sound like crap.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah, I remember playing one in a shop when they first came out. I'm tempted by that one on Reverb for sure, just not sure if I'll end up being disappointed I didn't get a "real" Fender (I know it means literally jack shit lol).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That always reminds me of a cheap aerodyne (although I know that P-90s and JM pickups are different)

I love mine, although it's not a proper tele.