Talk to me about Telecasters

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Benecol has already warned me against it, but I've spotted a 2005 Lite Ash Special Edition Tele for a not-entirely-unreasonable price, and I'm tempted by it.

Tim says he's played a couple of them and wasn't keen, anyone else got any experience of these?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

IIRC Shad has one.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Curious!

I don't think he logs on here much these days, so I've just sent him a DM on Facebook...
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Nick wrote:IIRC Shad has one.
Paid $420 bucks for it to a dude on Craigslist back in 2005. He was high out of his mind and went on a rant about how the bass drum sound in some Johnny Cash song gives him a boner.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

He didn't include that excellent anecdote, but Shad did drop me some COOL KNOWLEDGE via the DMs.

I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on this, if I can figure out my funds.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

that one has the maple neck with the white or abalone inlays, right? shit would throw me off not having black dots on a maple neck. ugly.

if you're spending fender money you might as well get what you want to spec unless it's hella cheap.
I'd go for a Baja based on the twisted tele neck pickup and the switching options alone. or a vintera, played a fiesta red maple necked vintera recently and was just in love. the neck was lovely, thing looked really good, was tempted to go home and hawk all my valuable gear so I could go back and snag it.

edit: I've actually been in a similar boat lately as well. been mainly playing my classic vibe 50's tele and classic vibe 60's Strat. and while I've AB'd them against their fender counterparts and been satisfied with how they play and the quality I've kind've been wanting to upgrade them. dug out my fender jazzmaster and jaguar and was just obsessing over the stupid little details you get for a few hundred more bucks, and how the pickups sound just a little bit clearer compared to their squier counterparts.
but damn, that vintera tele
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Can’t fault my classic vibe tele with upgraded pups. Incredible guitar for the price.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

that fiesta is lit
dots wrote:incesticide
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Best guitar I ever played was a Raodworn 50s Tele. Finish looked like ass for sure, but damn I frequently regret not buying it. Was super resonant, light, lively, super easy to play.

I have a tele, but don't play it because it weighs 11lb :shock:
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
Nick wrote:IIRC Shad has one.
Paid $420 bucks for it to a dude on Craigslist back in 2005. He was high out of his mind and went on a rant about how the bass drum sound in some Johnny Cash song gives him a boner.
l o l e

420 bucks too, literally?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

The one I've spied is £445 and "open to offers", so you bet your ass I'm offering £420 (if I can figure out my finances before someone else buys it).

B l a z e i t .
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

i l o v e d r u g s
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Doog, 420 is funny because it is the sex number.
George

Post by George »

Natural finishes don’t look good on Teles, in my opinion. Abalone inlays don’t look good on anything, and on a maple board are indefensible.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I think a natural finish can be hit and miss on any guitar, but the wood on this one is pretty sweet looking. Looks nicer than most others I've seen, even this exact model (been watching a few reviews on YouTube etc).

I'm in two minds about the abalone, I think I need to see it in person. The neck finish is apparently much less glossy than other similar spec'd Fenders, which appeals to me and might swing it even if I'm not keen on the abalone. Plus, Shad pointed out to me that due to the birdseye maple you can sell the neck on its own for a fair whack.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Dont do it. It's a cheeseboard with an ugly handle.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

:lol:

I'm taking everything you say with a pinch of salt, Tim, because I know you're still trying to convince me to spend £950 on that copper AVRI.

Across Gumtree/Ebay/Reverb there's 8 I've got my eye on for sub-£600; the Lite Ash, a couple of Vinteras, a Player, a Mexican Standard, a Nashville, a Classic 69 and an American Traditional. I reckon the last two will probably get bid higher though. I would like a Baja, but the only stock paintjob I'm arsed about is shell pink (the "faded" sonic blue ones are way too pale IMO), and those seem hard to come by. I could easily get it refinished, but I'm useless so it'll take me 6+ months to get around to that, and I don't want to play an uggo guitar for half a year.

Honestly, the Lite Ash is probably my favourite. Especially surprising considering about half those other ones are some iteration of surf green, sonic blue etc.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I don't really understand why we're on page four of this thread. It should have been locked after the first reply.
Bacchus wrote:The Baja is still the correct answer.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

gotta agree with Baja. love those teles. but don't sleep on the vintera since it's in your price range if you can get to a shop to at least try one, the U neck is nice. I loved it. always could upgrade the wiring and pickups to spec it up with a Baja down the road.

let me live vicariously through you so I don't have to hawk shit on reverb and craigslist to have another guitar I don't need. lol
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

There's a blonde maple neck 1989 US tele at my local for £800. Looks pretty clean and comes with a hardcase.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED