Talk to me about Fender amps

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

benecol wrote:You'll still buy a fucking Blackstar or something though, you prick.
:lol:

Alright, so right now I'm leaning towards either a HRD or a Twin.

Twin-wise, is there any reason I should be wary of that 2001 lad I spotted? I feel like it'll probably sell before I'm in a position to buy, but still intrigued why it's so cheap.

There's a 90's HRD in Northern Guitars in Leeds for £500. Might head down and see if I can take it for a spin. They've got a late 80s/early 90s Super 60 as well, which looks interesting for £450, so I might try them both. Anyone know much about those? Looks pretty similar to the HRD, but 60 watts rather than 40, and it's £50 cheaper... curious.
Last edited by Freddy V-C on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Get a Hot Rod Deluxe. Or a Deville. They're the fancier version.

Or even better don't make the mistake you made with the Lite Ash tele and try before you buy.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Noirie. wrote:Get a Hot Rod Deluxe. Or a Deville. They're the fancier version.
Don't do this. They're not. Buy a Twin. But not that twat guy's one. They're ten-a-penny.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Didn't say they're a fancier twin, Grandpa.

The Deville is the fancier HRD.
more being STOKED
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

YEAH, WELL THEY'RE STILL SHIT.

My mate who did an apprenticeship, so had money while we were all still skint, bought one with one of his first pay cheques. When it stopped working, we drove it back up to Birmingham (50 odd miles from us), then took it in turns (he had the 4x10) carrying it from the multistorey to the shop. It had blown a fuse in the plug.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

they're good enough for Kelly Jones...
more being STOKED
George

Post by George »

My crystal ball says if you buy a twin you’ll know after the first gig you’ve made a mistake but will persever for up to six months. you’ll start using other people’s amps more and more frequently and before long you’ll stop using it completely. You’ll eventually sell it but not before it’s been used as a side table for two years because it’s too loud to play at home and you can’t be arsed to sell it.

No good will come of it.
Last edited by George on Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Noirie. wrote: they're good enough for Kelly Jones...
HAHAHAHA

Good memory.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

benecol wrote:
And was then alarmed to discover Hurb talking pure trash.

nuh uhh!

Get one of these Freddy

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Fucking hell, Hurb. What a curveball.

I'm listening. Would like to try one. I can't imagine it'll sound that different to the CR120 though.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote:Ha, what a prick.
Amp Guy wrote:This amp would get all the comments at gigs.
Gig Punters wrote:Don't think your amp was working, mate.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I honestly liked the few times I've used a Deville/Deluxe, the Deville especially, a nice pedal platform but not particularly "Fendery". I used a rented Twin at a work band night thing a few years ago and HATED it. No midrange, no preamp breakup available, bleh. Soooo they ARE pretty different amps, despite the brand name.

Also, roadworthyness was always a bit shaky on the Hot Rods. Both pals I had who used em ('Joey' from the Pixies tribute, and Sim from Fashoda Crisis) had to get it serviced a few times in a "more than a blown tube or fuse" kinda way. Maybe they've sorted it out with the more recent models?

For the record, your guitar sounded great at that show; I presume you'd borrowed an Orange tube head as I didn't recognise it and sounded goooooood
Last edited by Doog on Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Fuck, Hurb, that Pedal Baby has really gotten under my skin.

Why doesn't every amp manufacturer make this? This is literally what I want. I want an amp with volume, treble and bass. No reverb. I've just completely gone off Orange cleans. If Fender made this, I would be all over it immediately.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Freddy V-C wrote:Fuck, Hurb, that Pedal Baby has really gotten under my skin.

Why doesn't every amp manufacturer make this? This is literally what I want. I want an amp with volume, treble and bass. No reverb. I've just completely gone off Orange cleans. If Fender made this, I would be all over it immediately.
I agree with Doog your guitar sounded grand when I heard it.

OK How about this, has fender voicing but not modeled.

200 watts Freddy...200 WATTS!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'd be intrigued to at least try one out.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Freddy V-C wrote:I'd be intrigued to at least try one out.
NAMM?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Perhaps!

I was pretty pleased with my toanz on that tour. Glad you guys were into it!

I guess I'm just at a point where I know exactly what guitar sounds I like, and I just wanna find the best possible versions of all that stuff. I like a Tele through a Rat or a Harmonic Percolator into a loud, clean, bright amp. I just want to put together the best possible version of that rig (or at least the best version I can realistically afford). Yes, I'm aware of how ridiculous it sounds to speak with such finality.

(Cut to me, five years from now, desperately selling all my gear in order to raise money for a PRS double neck or some shit.)
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Maybe try Markbass amps if you can. Aptbs are using them for live shows for guitar and bass cause they're loud af and can take all the stupid pedals they put in front of them.
more being STOKED
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Hurb has sent me down a rabbit hole of amps with fuck all controls, and I found this. Holy shit:

If someone could make a version of this which was like... 50 watts, I guess? Then I could die a happy man.

Turns out there is a Defender 50 but it's literally a completely different amp. Very cool.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

where are you guys playing where a blues jr isn't enough? shit's been more than enough for me, 95% of the gigs I play the amp's mic'd anyway why carry around a heavy ass hot rod deluxe or twin. only upside to those amps is they're big and sturdy enough to double as a seat.

I'd look into a blues jr. unless you like super ice picky clean tones and you play big bars unmic'd and your drummer uses a big ass kit and is heavy handed. 15w tube amps aren't much quieter than 22w deluxes. the 40w deluxe and twins are overkill to me, gotta get the amp compressing a little bit. let the big amps die, all they do is piss off sound techs. (even tho they're cool)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Fuck listening to us losers Freddy. Why don't you just FaceTime your new mate Stevo and see what he thinks?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.