Moderated By: mods

BearBoy

EHX NAMM 2020 Leaks

Post by BearBoy »

Someone seems to have got hold of an EHX catalogue with some new pedals in:

Pitch Fork+

1440 Stereo Looper

Big Muff Pi Hardware Plugin

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lol that Big Muff outboard fuzz, wtf.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah seems pretty crazy. Not sure I’d have any use for the DAW/outboard functionality but a Big Muff with presets might be kind of useful. Maybe.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

I can't keep up with this company.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
George

Post by George »

Is the pitch fork actually a harmoniser that know scales or just a shifter? I’d probably upgrade if it’s the former.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BearBoy wrote:Yeah seems pretty crazy. Not sure I’d have any use for the DAW/outboard functionality but a Big Muff with presets might be kind of useful. Maybe.
As if an actual plugin couldn't make the exact same sound, what a load of hooey.
George wrote:Is the pitch fork actually a harmoniser that know scales or just a shifter? I’d probably upgrade if it’s the former.
It'd put money on it being a 'dumb harmoniser'; just fixed note distances, nothing involving keys or scales. I don't think EHX have any existing intelligent harmonising stuff they could rework for this, plus their main userbase seems like the wrong kinda crowd too.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Does the big muff have a but in reamp? I've been using all my pedals as outboard for a while now and it's great using the actual pedals rather than vsts a reamp box is a better idea then you can use any pedal as an effect in your DAW.
XY
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Yeah, is the Big Muff REALLY more of an audio interface built into their most recognisable brand? It's kind of mad but makes much more sense that way than it does... any other way.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

That does seem to be the case; 'Direct monitor', stereo inputs and outputs.

What a fucking weird pedal to base this around though. I guess it is their most well-known, but seems a bit misjudged in practical terms. It's like those old 'plugs into the output jack' FX from the old days; great if you want it RIGHT THERE in your chain, less good if you don't.

edit: Upon further reading, it looks like it does interface as an actual plugin, so you can stick it wherever in your chain. Interesting.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

jcyphe wrote:I can't keep up with this company.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Roland Corporation wrote:I can't keep up with this company.
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

The sheer number of distortions they've released recently (outside of the straight up Muff variants) has been a little overwhelming, but I got to try out The Crayon, The Lumberjack (Logarithmic overdrive...?) and their Satisfaction fuzz recently and... they're all great. Different enough to justify their existence, and they sound really good. And they're affordable. Didn't get to try the Flat Iron (their Rat clone) which was actually what I wanted.

Bought the Blurst a while back though. Interestingly weird and wacky filter shenanigans.

I worry that this release schedule and diversification is going to become difficult to sustain, BUT. None of the pedals seem particularly shit. It just feels like EHX pedals are reaching saturation point.

That said, it IS kinda mad that it's taken them up until recently to actually start turning out the various era-specific Muff clones.

Still, if they're doing well (and I'm assuming they must be to be carrying on the way they are.... I guess?) then whatevs, I certainly would own all of the above pedals based on my experience of them if it wasn't for having a money and time sink in the shape of a small boy.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Looks like there's a new (bigger) reverb coming too:

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

...and here it is...

Electro-Harmonix introduces the Oceans 12 featuring two simultaneous, independent, stereo reverb engines, series and parallel control for the dual reverbs, 24 presets and advanced I/O allowing for stereo in/out, splitting reverbs to left and right channels, or mono send/return with pre and post reverb options. The pedal also includes a new Tide Control for stereo image alteration, a Lo-fi Control, an infinite attenuation control and an input jack for external expression and footswitch control.

The Oceans 12’s reverbs types are as follows:
• ROOM – two modes: reverb algorithms modeled after a lively room and a spacious performance hall
• SPRING – two modes: vintage 1962 Fender® 6G15 tube reverb emulation and the spring algorithm from the EHX Holy Grail
• PLATE – two modes: two emulations of the smooth, metal plate reverb often used in high-end recording studios during the 1960s and ‘70s
• REVERSE – two modes: a reverse reverb effect as well as true reversed echoes
• ECHO – three modes: a digital delay with various echo rhythms feeding into a plate reverb
• TREM – three modes: a classic, periodic volume envelope with various shapes applied to both the wet and dry mix of a hall reverb
• MOD – three modes: combinations of chorus and flange reverbs that create rich reverb tails
• DYNA – three dynamic, experimental reverb algorithms: swell, gate and duck
• AUTO-INF – three modes: auto-infinite reverb (w/optional chorus or flange) that “listens� to your playing and crossfades to a new reverb wash upon detection of newly struck notes.
• SHIMMER – two modes: two configurations of a rich octave-shifted reverb wash
• POLYPHONIC – two modes: two configurable bi-directional pitch shifts that add dimensionality to the reverb tail
• RESONANT – two modes: reverb excited by tunable resonators and configurable self-oscillating filters on the reverb tail

A Tails switch provides a choice of whether the reverb effect fades out naturally or stops immediately when the pedal is switched to bypass. In most settings the pedal is also capable of producing infinite reverb which can be played over with a different reverb effect.

The Oceans 12 comes equipped with a standard EHX 9.6DC200mA power supply and is shipping around the third week in March.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

[youtube][/youtube]
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

A tails switch, did the earlier smaller pedal have that? If not, that's a bit of a selling point for me.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Holy titty-fuckin' shit. What a sound! That Floyd intro. Also, does ANYONE know what that weird bodyless jem type guitar is?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Its a Traveler Vaibrant Deluxe V88X
Found it in the comments
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

ekwatts wrote:A tails switch, did the earlier smaller pedal have that? If not, that's a bit of a selling point for me.
It did, but it was located inside the pedal:
TAILS Switch – The OCEANS 11 allows you to choose whether reverb continues to play or stop immediately after the pedal is switched to bypass. To control this, remove the OCEANS 11's bottom cover and locate the small slide switch on the bottom of the board labeled “TAILS.� When TAILS is set to ON, the reverb will continue to play after the pedal switched to bypass, with the decay time set by the TIME knob. Anything you play after entering bypass will not reverberate. If the pedal is set for infinite decay time (i.e. TIME is set to maximum) the reverb will continue until you turn TIME down or switch to a different mode.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Doog wrote:
Its a Traveler Vaibrant Deluxe V88X
Found it in the comments
Thanks man!

I did look in the comments, but it was a fridge look.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band