NGD Fender 'Shorterscale'

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Johno

NGD Fender 'Shorterscale'

Post by Johno »

Fender Cyclone 90s?

Its had a Wilkinson VSVG Bridge fitted which sorts out the intonation issues of the original....apparently these guitars are Gibson scale. Trem works great, totally different feel to my Jag & Mustang but good to have some variety.
Guitar also has dual tone/vol pots which I've never used before but actually work great.
The tuners have been replaced with Fender Vintage locking tuners... which I'd never come across before....I'd always used split post tuners on my Fenders.
Pickups are a Tex Mex neck & an Atomic Humbucker.... sound fine to me so no rush to swap out...
The neck is 9.5 radius but quite chunky which feels quite a bit like my Musicmaster.

Arrgghh not sure why but some of the links appaers as pics and other as links

Last edited by Johno on Fri May 22, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Early oughts, I think?
I remember being reeeeal interested in the cyclone line when I dove into Fenders around that time. I only got to play one once, it was... fine. IIRC the neck was nearly unfinished, which back in those days was the mark of a cheapo.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
Johno

Post by Johno »

aen wrote:Early oughts, I think?
I remember being reeeeal interested in the cyclone line when I dove into Fenders around that time. I only got to play one once, it was... fine. IIRC the neck was nearly unfinished, which back in those days was the mark of a cheapo.
Just ran the numbers at Fender, looks to be a 1997-1998 as serial is MN7 +6 digits.
The neck is glossy on this one, I might knock it back with a brillo if it get sticky.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I don't think the Jazz Bass pots are original, nor do they make much sense in that pickup configuration.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I like it. Is it a swimming pool route?
Johno

Post by Johno »

Bacchus wrote:I like it. Is it a swimming pool route?
Nah just cut for the pickups.... I wondered the same so had a peek.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nice.

I think the Cyclone II has a swimming pool route and it's always bothered me. Other than that, it's always been a dream guitar for me. And I know the swimming pool route doesn't actually make a difference, and one of my favourite guitars (Jagmaster) has one, but it has still always annoyed me. Even though I don't own one.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Nice one, congrats. The cyclone is something I would definitely have picked up at some point if they had made them in lefty ever.
NickS

Re: NGD Fender 'Shorterscale'

Post by NickS »

Johno wrote: Arrgghh not sure why but some of the links appaers as pics and other as links

Edit the links to remove the ?1 after the .jpg. Also the first pic was missing a [.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Looks sick. There was a blue Cyclone sat at my local for years. Jaguar pickups were a nice touch but could never get on with the neck.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Johno

Re: NGD Fender 'Shorterscale'

Post by Johno »

NickS wrote:
Johno wrote: Arrgghh not sure why but some of the links appaers as pics and other as links

Edit the links to remove the ?1 after the .jpg. Also the first pic was missing a [.
Cheers, I should have spotted that.