Recent acquisitions (70s Strat/JM/Sigma

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Recent acquisitions (70s Strat/JM/Sigma

Post by Thomas »

I’ve picked up a few bits n pieces over the last week or two. After the full that followed the breakup of my loooong (too long) relationship I started looking out fir a few things.

I picked up a Sigma SG45 (copy of the Gibson without the price tag). Amazing acoustic and part of the range currently being sold through in music stores to make way for the new models.

I had some store credit so used it on a Vintera Jazzmaster. I originally went in for a shell pink player with white mid-matched headstock that was custom made for Guitar Guitar but i didn’t like the more modern appointments of that so opted for the Vintera. The pink one had standard tuners, bigger frets, 5 way switch without upper circuit, matte neck non locking tremolo.

Lastly in the deal of the century I picked up a 74 Strat in the swap of the century. It was filthy and non-functioning when I got it but it’s all better now. The thing is it sounds great, isn’t heavy and the neck isn’t chunky. I was originally going to flip it but think it’s a keeper. Now it just needs knobs.

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Haha, good work! That's quite a haul.

My Sigma is excellent.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Bacchus wrote:Haha, good work! That's quite a haul.

My Sigma is excellent.
Cheers man. Yeah the Sigma stuff is crazy good, especially at the price point. I managed to get mine a bit cheaper still as it had a tiny chip in the paint. It’s a lot of guitar for £300.

I only tried it because a friend kept going on about how great they were. We both went in to try them, both nought one. I’ve been playing it almost all the time in an attempt to get my chops back.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

That Jazzmaster is lovely. There is one for sale on marketplace at the moment same colour that I keep seeing and wanting. I Don't get all that excited about acoustics but that thing looks legit!

Sorry to hear about breakup although it sounds like you are cool.

Did you manage to sell everything before?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Yeah, sucks about the breakup, fill that void with guitars!

Super jealous of the Strat!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Nice one. I saw one of those JM's in PMT. The neck pocket on the bass side had a big chunk missing out of it.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
paul_

Post by paul_ »

70s Strat is the coolest by miles, congrats. Always wanted one, best necks.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Oh. I see you've bought my birth year guitar.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Oh man!

Sorry about the breakup, but that's some seriously good looking after yourself guitar buying. That's Jazzy's Gaww-jus
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
NickD

Post by NickD »

That strat looks just like the 70s one I had, except not the weight of a small planet. I've had a Sigma and it was a really nice guitar - they seem to have changed the headstock since I had mine though. Lovely guitars, sorry to hear about the breakup though. Even if its time, its never easy.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hurb wrote:Sorry to hear about breakup although it sounds like you are cool.

Did you manage to sell everything before?
Yes everything I wanted to.

Thanks for all the well wishes. The breakup wasn’t a bad thing. We’re still pals. Things had just romantically ran its course. It would have been easy to just settle for OK but I want more out of life than OK. In reality it should have ended a year or longer before it did.
benecol wrote:Oh. I see you've bought my birth year guitar.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...
Mine too! Tho if it does go I’ll be sure to let you know first ;)
NickS

Post by NickS »

Love that Strat. Well done!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

NickD wrote:I've had a Sigma and it was a really nice guitar - they seem to have changed the headstock since I had mine though.
I think the headstock shapes might be determined by whichever famous guitar each individual Sigma guitar is copying inspired by.