Original fender Bridge is the best bridge - CHANGE MY MIND

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Noirie. wrote:Image

Superior plec.
I use gator grip 2.0mm and I have for a few years. Something about the thickness of it just feels right. I also use thicker strings than I probably need to, so...
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:Someone who uses a super flappy pick, playing open chords in between the pickups is gonna have less trouble than a 3mm boi tremolo-picking the fuck out of the strings by the bridge. Different tools for different fools.
100%

and this stuff changes over time, or at least it has for me. i started (well, i started playing with any pick i could find) with stubby's -- acrylic, short, thick picks cos i thought they gave me teh met0lz. then i was a dunlop jazz pick guy for days before finding dava. whatevs.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Hurb wrote:
NickD wrote:
My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

Obviously I know you are legit when it comes to guitars. Remember when we built one in your house? But I have to ask what you find shite in the stock bridge? Do you find it s ball ache to setup? Or does it not work and give you problems?

If its the second one...I have either been extremely lucky with all the offset guitars I have worked on. Or I am doing something different to you and others that have issues. Does that make sense? Like I have no issues once setup now, although I admit they gave me challenges early on.

Just watched a video comparison on all jag bridges. The mastery seemed louder but not as nice to my ears.
I do remember that - essentially a strat with an acoustic bridge. It smashed well though :lol:

The stock bridge is a ballache to set up, that's definitely true, and the Mastery was incredibly easy, but its more that - however I set it up, neck angle, bridge adjustments, whatever, the bass strings would occasionally jump out of the slots. I could (and have before) loctite the adjustment screws, but I've never needed to at all on a staytrem or mastery. To be absolutely fair though, my JMs were in non standard tunings, and I haven't tried the stock bridge since I took my remaining one back to standard tuning (albeit with flatwounds) and to Doogs point, I tend to play near the bridge with heavy picks. The staytrem bridge was even easier to setup than the mastery FWIW.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

I cant argue against them being more in depth to setup than other options and can appreciate people wanting to just play the thing than fuck on! My old jag in particular doesn't have the original grub screws in the bridge posts. But rather the same size screw with the head chopped off. So I have to remove the bridge to adjust haha!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Just dermmul a slot in the screw and remove it with a flathead screwdriver
dots wrote:incesticide
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

robroe wrote:Just dermmul a slot in the screw and remove it with a flathead screwdriver
You can't on 60s bridges as the hole for acces is tiny.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

I love the OG vintage bridge, but I agree that the only time it's gonna do some fuck shit is when you're on stage. I would never buy a mastery, but one came on the jazzmaster I bought and I love it. I don't think I could bring myself to buy another one for my other guitars, but it is worth it I guess if you gig alot and want to turn your jag/jazzmaster into a tank.

my fender CP jag came with a TOM bridge, a while back I swapped it for the vintage style bridge that came with my fender jazzmaster. I prefer it to the TOM any day, and also can't bring myself to buy a mustang bridge, staytrem bridge, or mastery. if for some reason I felt compelled to start using it for gigs consistently I'd put the mastery bridge on it, and deal with changing the radius from 7.25 to 9.5.

also on picks, used to be really particular and only use the purple tortex picks, but lately I've been changing it up from big stubbys to fender thins. also the type of guitar and what I'm trying to helps decide what pick to use. purple tortex is still my favorite, been liking the fender thin pick/strat combo lately though. old man style.
howardlo

Post by howardlo »

Hurb wrote:The only issue i have ever had with a rocking bridge is when the nutt was not set up properly and was binding.

Other than that....butter!
Same for me and I have been playing them since I bought a new Jazzmaster in 1964.
If only my playing reflected my 60+ years of playing...
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

howardlo wrote:
Hurb wrote:The only issue i have ever had with a rocking bridge is when the nutt was not set up properly and was binding.

Other than that....butter!
Same for me and I have been playing them since I bought a new Jazzmaster in 1964.

Welcome !!!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Welcome Howardlo.

((nopics))
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
howardlo

Post by howardlo »

You will get no argument from me. Been playing them since I bought a new 1964 Jazzmaster. Never have had a problem with them then or now with my Squier VM Jazzmaster and Jag. One of the best designed bridge and trem systems ever designed.
If only my playing reflected my 60+ years of playing...
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Do you still have your ‘64? Would love to see pictures of you do.