Headphones for mixing

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

sunshiner

Headphones for mixing

Post by sunshiner »

Haven't recorded a single note yet but have a question - do any of you use headphones instead of monitors for mixing and how do you go about their shorcomings like absence of crossfeed?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's never concerned me tbh, but I'm not a professional; just be sure to listen to your mixes on real speakers too? It's certainly nothing you should be worrying about if you haven't even started recording.

Regardless, it seems there's plugins nowadays that can emulate this for headphone mixing, so seems the world is your oyster any which way you want it.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Instead of doing I do my research to find excuses not to. I just saw a pair of relatively affordable monitors, then thought I have no "treated environment" to actually use them properly, looked into using headphones. I just need to start recording shit with what I have I guess
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, just dive in; there's already plenty of engineering and DAW things to learn on the way before you need to start spending energy on such things as crossfeed.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Personally, I would say using monitors in an untreated environment is still preferable to mixing on headphones. Heck, I've been mixing on some cheapo Logitech speakers in a completely untreated room lately, and it still sounds better than anything I could have mixed on headphones.

Although Doog is right, there is now technology that simulates an "in-the-room" sound on headphones.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Cheers, gonna give a try to both headphones and PC speakers