Northwest Guitars Jag Shop

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Northwest Guitars Jag Shop

Post by Noirie. »

theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

I'd be tempted by a finished body, seems like a fair price, but the quality of the other components seems like they could be Chinese tat. May well be great and excellent value, but I'd have to have them in my hands before I'd feel comfortable buying any
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

They’re MIJ so might be decent. Doog bought one of their Jazzmaster body’s and seems happy with it.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, it was fine. I'm pretty sure the bodies are from Korea but they do all the finishing in-house.

edit: they don't actually sell unfinished bodies, or offer refinishing so maybe not. Also, Japan, not Korea, although I swear I'd read that before though.. maybe a different model. However:
Jazzmaster Body | 2-piece Alder
We've been making bodies and necks for many years now, and in that time we have achieved a reputation among builders and luthiers for producing wood products of the highest quality.

Our range of Jazzmaster bodies are manufactured in Japan, using hand-selected hardwoods imported direct form the USA. We've spent months working with our colleagues in Japan to ensure these bodies match the look and feel of this iconic instrument.

2-piece construction
All our Jazzmaster bodies are manufactured using only 2 pieces of matched Amercian alder, and are finished to an exceptionally high standard
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

hm.

are we reaching the point of fender "licensed" parts?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Doog wrote:Yeah, it was fine.
Anything you don’t like about it Doog?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I’d say the poly coating is maybe on the thinner/more brittle side, as it got a few small minor scratches on it when I was putting it all together.

That said, you always notice tiny flaws on an otherwise flawless finish, especially on a very dark colour like black, so it might just be standard fare that I’m focusing more closely on.

Will compare with the black CV Jag’s “wear and tear� when I get back to my place. As I’ve been away, and playing gf’s stock VMJM, it’ll be interesting to switch back.

It was also a little heavier than the stock VM body but not “heavy� by any means; the completed guitar is still lighter than the CV I had a moan about.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Cool. Good to know. Was going to contact them to see if they do lefties as there’s no obvious option I can see on the site.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I think I had a chat to them about lefty Tele parts and it was basically a no we can't sell enough so don't bother
euan
NickD

Post by NickD »

euan wrote:I think I had a chat to them about lefty Tele parts and it was basically a no we can't sell enough so don't bother
Sounds like they think they can’t sell enough so haven’t tried. From the number of lefties on shortscale it seems like they are a pretty significant minority of players.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Ah bugger. Shame, quite fancied a cheap finished body for a project. Once you factor in finishing for a guitarbuild body it's quite pricey. .
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

NickD wrote:
euan wrote:I think I had a chat to them about lefty Tele parts and it was basically a no we can't sell enough so don't bother
Sounds like they think they can’t sell enough so haven’t tried. From the number of lefties on shortscale it seems like they are a pretty significant minority of players.
I think the reality matches the expectation. You just need to look at whats on Reverb/eBay to see there aren't that many left handed guitars out there. Which is obvious given that the shops don't actually stock that many in the first place.
euan
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Back at my place, I managed to put some nice bucklerash on the upper bout after 30m of playing, wearing my new metal-strap equipped watch, doh.

There's a good chance it'll buff out, and you only really see it when the light catches it, kinda annoying though, but still annoying.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'd say 50% of the blame goes to the finish itself, it shouldn't really be that easy to mark it, surely?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, it's definitely a pretty brittle clearcoat, and there's with nothing to speak of on the black Squier CV Jag after 7-odd months of playing. Ah well, get what you pay for, I guess.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Weird that you wear your watch left style.
euan
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

not as weird as being lefthanded
NickD

Post by NickD »

I wear my watch on that side too. And can confirm it isn’t great for the finish if I’m wearing a metal strapped watch.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

At least it’s a sick watch

ImageImageImage
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

What time is it?

A quarter past Trivial Pursuits!