Telecaster / Stratocaster recommendations (got one! Page 9)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Mike
I like EL34s

Telecaster / Stratocaster recommendations (got one! Page 9)

Post by Mike »

EDIT - got one (page 9)

Past Mike wrote: Stuff I like:

Gloss on necks - CHECK
Maple necks on Telecasters - CHECK
Vintage neck radius when possible - DUNNO, think it's 9.5" which is good for me.
Chunky/clubby neck profiles - CHECK CHECK CHECK

Hi all,

Despite I'm sure saying on the call I don't need any more guitars (I DON'T), I've been kicking around in the back of my head the idea of getting a Stratocaster (never owned a proper Fender one, and I ruined my old Squier through so many bad decisions) or a Telecaster (love love loved my Baja and '72 Deluxe RI that are both long gone).

Part of me is wondering whether any of this makes sense but I think this is what a midlife crisis is.

Anyways.

Things that have peaked my attention:
- those new internet hype riding Wide Range "proper" pickups. Getting a Deluxe RI second hand and throwing some of them in sounds like it could be great.

- or just a standard single coil "traditional" Telecaster or Telecaster Custom would be lovely. (NO SUNBURST) - I generally prefer more interesting colours than the standard Black, Red, White etc if possible.

Stratocaster wise, I'm pretty much ignorant - would one of the Classic Vibes help me scratch the itch if they came in interesting enough colours? I really don't like those really anemic looking maple necks some of them have.

Stuff I like:

Gloss on necks
Maple necks on Telecasters, Rosewood on Stratocasters (in general)
Vintage neck radius when possible - I don't like super flat..
Chunky/clubby neck profiles

I guess I'm gonna spend a lot of time on Reverb.com but it would nice to know if anyone had any particular models I should be looking for besides my own experience?

Cheers
M
Last edited by Mike on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

If you liked your Baja Telecaster then the Vintera modified ones are supposed to the new equivalent. The 50s one has a maple fingerboard and comes in Daphne blue or Surf green. Might be worth a look?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks I hadn’t really engaged with those
It looks really similar specs from what I can remember of the baja save some of the switching that I wasn’t really fussed about anyway

The only issue would be finding one second hand

I should have mentioned in the original post I’m a stupid eco worrier (that’s not a typo) and I try not to buy anything new anymore if I can avoid it (what a wanker I know)
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Oh, I thought the modified ones had the same switching as the Baja (i.e. 4 way switch for putting the pickups in series and an S1 switch for out of phase)?

Yeah, not sure how many would be kicking about second hand as I think they’ve only been out a year or two.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Oh, and there’s nothing stupid about trying to cut down on the frankly ridiculous amount of “stuff� that we consume.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

PM (actually, probably a text) incoming.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I like teles and strats because they’re made out of guitar.

That’s the only advice I can give you.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

A secondhand Baja (which you already know you love) or a Deluxe are the best Tele’s you can get at a reasonable price these days.

Funnily enough after missing my Baja a few months after I sold it I started casually watching for a secondhand Tele and ended up getting a Deluxe for £320 of FB marketplace. It had a couple of dings but I’m very happy with it. I’ve also dallied with getting a set of those “proper� wide range pickups. I’ll keep an eye for some secondhand too. I’d originally planned to refinish it but the black has grown on me.

If anything pops up that fits the bill for you I’ll shoot you a text.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Very much depends on your budget I guess, but it seems like you've had more experience with Teles. On that basis I'd look for a Strat. If you like the 7.25" radius, you're probably looking at a vintage reissue of some sort. A Mexican Classic (50s, or 60s) would be a great shout, and won't need owt doing to it. Late 80s MIJ Squiers are also likely to have 7.25" radius, and will be dripping in mojo arrows. They might however need electronics upgrades.

WRT to the Squier CVs, I think you want to try and go for the MIC ones. I think the MII will be good guitars, but by all accounts the original MIC ones were outstanding.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the recommendations

I'll keep looking for second hand Baja and '72 Deluxes.

What is particularly galling is the price I would have to pay these days.

I got my Baja Telecaster NEW for £255 I'm pretty sure in 2007.

I got my MIM Telecaster '72 Deluxe for £510 in 2005.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Mike wrote:I got my Baja Telecaster NEW for £255 I'm pretty sure in 2007.

I got my MIM Telecaster '72 Deluxe for £510 in 2005.
I got my CIJ Jaguar for £459 in 2007. Madness.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
NickD

Post by NickD »

I kinda wish I'd never sold that Deluxe. Was a nice guitar, but I had too many.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Mike wrote:I got my Baja Telecaster NEW for £255 I'm pretty sure in 2007.
Fucking hell.

Weirdest thing about this is that when I bought mine in 2010, it was already up to £350 SECOND HAND. And even that seemed like a steal at the time.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I really hope it not misremembering that but I remember for sure they were an incredible deal and very shortly after that they sold out and then came back much pricier which could even have been within the calendar year

I miss both the Telecasters

I’m really overthinking this and wondering if I could even justify anything anyway

Like I don’t need anything and it really seems borderline offensive really when I analyse it deeply

FML
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

If I lived over there I would buy the daphne blue CV esquire right now. Exclusive to your market. We got the shitty babypuke yellow one.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I don't see any harm in buying something cheap and second hand. You can live as non-materialistic a lifestyle as you want, wooden toothbrushes and all, but at the end of the day you've still gotta do some stuff that makes you happy, innit! Otherwise what's the point?

IMO you should buy this hideous purple Bullet Tele.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Seems like you shouldn’t buy one then. Or at least do a one in, one out.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

There’s an abundance of Strats out there, and you could always partscaster one together with decent bits others have “upgraded� from if that would help with the ethics of it.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

If you can find a Highway 1 telecaster I'd highly recommend you get one. Mine has been my go to guitar for the last 15(ish) years... no idea what prices are like now though.
XY
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

compostable guitars?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.