NGD. A Thing from Canada

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mkt3000

NGD. A Thing from Canada

Post by mkt3000 »

I bought it form Finboy, and after a delay at customs, it's here! Taking it to my tech tomorrow for a setup and discuss ideas.

Unfortunately my wife's been in meetings all day, and I've had a ton of job interviews (somewhat fortunate?), so other than bolting the neck on, I haven't done a thing to it.

10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

nice. Look forward to hearing reports on it.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Tremendous looking guitar, have always liked this one.
XY
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Need moar strings, less stickers
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks super classy, congrats!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hooooray, glad it showed up okay! I love that it's a complete oddball yet still mostly 'works'

but I just can't unsee that control plate as a big dangly scrotum, i'm sorryyyyyyyyy
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

After having it apart for a bit, I think I'm going to have a slightly larger guard to cover some routing on the upper horn... or if I'm feeling up to the task, cutting a small piece of wood to fill it in.

Trying to figure out what to use to remove duct tape residue without possibly damaging the exposed part of the wood.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
NickS

Post by NickS »

Kerosene?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Good to see Lauren's old Dano Convertible is still kicking around!
NickS

Post by NickS »

mkt3000 wrote: exposed part of the wood
You have bare wood? Maybe not kerosene then.
mkt3000

Post by mkt3000 »

NickS wrote:
mkt3000 wrote: exposed part of the wood
You have bare wood? Maybe not kerosene then.
A small part, yeah. I night just put another piece of duct tape on it and leave it as is

For now, the guitar is now safely at my tech's shop for a setup.
10 PRINT "Bite Me!"
20 GOTO 10
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickS wrote:Kerosene and a match?
Jealousy rears its ugly head.

Just kidding Nick, this probably my jealousy rearing it’s ugly head.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I always find lighter fluid works well to remove residue without much issue by your mileage may vary
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I feel that a guitar you've bought on here in good faith shouldn't have a major body route just covered up with tape. The ad in the classifieds made it sound like the tape covered what might be usual switching spaces under the guard in the upper horn. Can we see what it looks like without tape?

I'm also iffy about having to remove gunk from bare wood. PMs etc. might have been exchanged, but the original ad didn't mention that duct tape was being used to cover bare wood. I don't like that the seller is now suggesting remedies (with a YMMV caveat) to a problem that they caused and didn't fix.

REALLY IMPORTANT CAVEAT - this is an incredible guitar, and probably impossible to value. More importantly: Finboy has only ever been a well regarded, valued and trusted poster on here.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I can say for sure I wasn’t trying to deceive anyone, apologies to mkt and anyone else if you feel if that is the case. From my perspective a route has always been used to describe wood removal from a body, as such I used that language in the ad. I certainly don’t want anyone thinking I was actively trying to deceive to make the sale, and was only adding a common method used to clean surfaces (naphtha is commonly used by both my luthiers when doing surface prep).

I don’t want to derail the build thread, if mkt feels misled we can take it to pm’s to find a resolution.
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:
NickS wrote:Kerosene and a match?
Jealousy rears its ugly head. (Stands up, etc.)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

finboy wrote:I can say for sure I wasn’t trying to deceive anyone, apologies to mkt and anyone else if you feel if that is the case. From my perspective a route has always been used to describe wood removal from a body, as such I used that language in the ad. I certainly don’t want anyone thinking I was actively trying to deceive to make the sale, and was only adding a common method used to clean surfaces (naphtha is commonly used by both my luthiers when doing surface prep).

I don’t want to derail the build thread, if mkt feels misled we can take it to pm’s to find a resolution.
good on you, and there doesn't seem to have been any deception in my view. well done speaking up.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

My post above smacks of backseat moderating in a really cringey way. I apologise for this.

It also sounds like I'm accusing finboy of impropriety. This is a mistake. I apologise for this too.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Bacchus wrote:My post above smacks of backseat moderating in a really cringey way. I apologise for this.

It also sounds like I'm accusing finboy of impropriety. This is a mistake. I apologise for this too.

Sometimes I yell at the TV.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Bacchus wrote:My post above smacks of backseat moderating in a really cringey way. I apologise for this.

We’re all good homie, I always get nervous selling any custom guitars as my idea of condition might not match everyone’s.

Group hug?