Fender Mustang Micro

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

astro

Fender Mustang Micro

Post by astro »

Just got one today. I am impressed! The models sound pretty good. Although all the models are all designed for guitar, some sound quite good with bass. The 65 Twin + compressor model sounds best to my ears with bass guitar. I am playing this through mediocre ear buds and it sounds full and nice.

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

been seeing this advertised heavily lately (must be a large profit margin), so thanks for the review. may have to check one out.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

So can you plug this shit into an amp instead of headphones? It would be like a micro pod
lorez

Post by lorez »

i was considering these but the L's for it seemed a lot. They have been hammering the youtube guitar channels with product placement for it but good to hear a first hand non incentivised review of it
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
astro

Post by astro »

robroe wrote:So can you plug this shit into an amp instead of headphones? It would be like a micro pod
I was curious so I tried it out. My youngest is asleep so I tried it through my Roland Micro Cube on low volume and it seems to work well. I will try again tomorrow through my Concert II to see how it sounds at loud volumes through a tube amp.

The instruction manual (available here: LANK) says you can use the USB-C port to output to a computer for recording. I am not equipped to try that out right now, though.

Overall I think this thing will be super handy for me: I tend to only have time to play after my kids are in bed, and of course when they're in bed I can't use my regular amps without waking them up. I've tried using the headphone output on my micro cube but it sounds like ass. The Mustang Micro actually sounds really good through my headphones. It was a lot of S's ($130 Canadian S's) for such a small thing but I feel it delivers the goods. I don't doubt that like Dots said, it's a high margin product for Fender, but really the price is comparable to an effect pedal and this thing will probably get way more use than a pedal from me.
lorez

Post by lorez »

It does sound very usable and the computer connector would be great if you don't already have a recording interface
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

is the price difference to a Vox Amplug justified?
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Pretty intrigued by this! Been looking for a decent headphone solution...
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

Hmm, I wonder whether this might be the thing to get me back playing again.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Another thing you could try for our thirsty friends is connecting it into the output jack of a dirt pedal (or your pedalboard) to see how the clean amp settings like the Twin take pedals?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The 60 Cycle Hum demo-and-irritating-laugh video shows it with pedals, 41:15 onwards:

[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Nice! Wow an hour - fuck me

He's covering all the bases though, sounds pretty good to my ears - definitely better than the old Fender Mustang modelling amp used to smell the glove

to be clear I only had a quick gander on the section Andy linked, if it sounds arse at other times don't kill me
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I think I watched most of it when it dropped; it really does sound pretty good, and a great deal for someone who's not a total tweaker
Last edited by Doog on Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

This looks really handy, especially for use with the Bluetooth for that Blackstar Superfly I picked up from the SDOTD a while back
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's also firmware updatable, so hopefully Fender will drip-feed any algorithmic improvements they brings to their other larger digital products to this unit over the next few years
Last edited by Doog on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I’m intrigued.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
astro

Post by astro »

I tried the Mustang Micro with the headphone out plugged into the "return" input of the effects loop on my SWR bass combo and it sounds pretty good. However, it didn't sound good plugged into the instrument input of the Concert 2, it was squealing up a storm. I suspect it would have worked better in that amp had I also used the return effects loop input there as well. Overall I think it sounds better through headphones when using the headphone output, though.

I'm not really sure how useful this thing would be if used as a modeller with a proper amp... the Micro is clearly optimized for portability and headphone use and has it's limitations that come with that. I am eager to try using it as USB interface to record with at some point, I suspect it will sound good that way.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I'm curious about how this might sound plugged into a Tascam Portastudio... sorta like a DI box. I have been wanting to get back into cassette recording for awhile, but I don't have a proper hardware amp modeler. Was thinking to just grab a Joyo American Sound, but this looks a lot better?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It’ll sound the same recorded directly as on headphones, unless you’re further altering the sound on the Portastudio.

And this will sound waaaaaay better than the Joyo, the speaker sims on those are negligible.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The joyo won’t work direct to headphones - you’ll need a headphone amp after it

Whether or not this thing sounds better than a joyo plus headphone amp I will reserve judgement on as my setup sounds pretty good to my ears and is ANALOGUE which matters a lot to us trendy media dads in our forties