Supersonic with P90s?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

Supersonic with P90s?

Post by Thomas »

I picked up a Vista series Supersonic from one of my friends. I remember from my old Jagmaster that these pickups are a bit uninspiring so they’re fur the chop. I have a spare set of DiMarzios (Evo2 and Breed) kicking about as well as all the stuff needed to make them splittable but I’m also considering a humbucker sized P90 in the neck instead. Have any of you tried out this combo in one of these?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I use a Dream 90 in the neck of my main SG and it's great with the Duncan '59 in the bridge. Best of both worlds if you're going to mix single coils and buckers, in my opinion... YMMW (and what does Slash's dick taste like while we're on the subject Mr Throaty Leadz LMAOOOO)
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dots wrote:haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.
I might order in a set of those just to try. They sound right up my street! I think the DiMarzios might be a bit too full on for what I’m really looking for. I’m also a total sucker for the P90 style punch. GFS are great bang for your buck too. I might already have one of them in my parts box too.

paul_ wrote:I use a Dream 90 in the neck of my main SG and it's great with the Duncan '59 in the bridge.[/size]
Usually this is my go-to for versatility. Either way I’ll def try the dream90 at least!

What capacities are you guys running with the Dream90s?

Thanks for the input!!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Thomas wrote:
dots wrote:haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.
I might order in a set of those just to try. They sound right up my street! I think the DiMarzios might be a bit too full on for what I’m really looking for. I’m also a total sucker for the P90 style punch. GFS are great bang for your buck too. I might already have one of them in my parts box too.
i've become a bit of a one-brand guy when it comes to electronics, but at the price point and quality of sound i get, i can't see spending another $50 or more for wound copper and magnets.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

.022uf for me, standard for Gibson/humbucker schemes.

I guess the Duncan "Phat Cats" are the primo equivalent of these GFS 90 pickups, but they're actually closer to a P-90.

The GFS Dream 90s are just an overwound single-coil which is built around one humbucker bobbin (so half an open coil humbucker).

And the Mean 90s have a larger bobbin and higher output, increasing the magnetic field

The Duncans have a bobbin closer to the size of a whole PAF, fully populating their baseplate and cover

I agree with dots that pricey pickups aren't always worth it. For me I prioritize having a nice bridge pickup, and the neck pickup can be any old shit that works with it. In my favorite Epiphone LP I have a DiMarzio DP100 in the bridge and a GFS Fat Pat in the neck, that's another great set.
Last edited by paul_ on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hopefully I can source some here, if not I think the Toneriders are the same thing... I’m going to see if I can buy a spare guard too as I don’t want to hack up the stock one to fit regular shaped pickups in there (I never realised that the routes on these are shaped like the coils instead of the standard humbucker route.

I have some orange caps that are the right capacitance.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

right, the p90s i am using are humbucker spaced by design. that was attractive to me when i originally selected them as the dragster humbuckers the HH jag comes with stock didn't clean up as crisp or drive as hard as i wanted.

i also put a set of GFS gold foil p90s in my toronado to replace the uninspired fender p90s. i need to shave down the bridge pickup cavity a little bit, though, as i think the pickup is about 1/8" too close to the strings. i don't have any complaints on tone, but it just doesn't look right and leads me to believe there could be something off.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yeah I think that it’s definitely the laws of diminishing returns, especially especially once you go past SD prices. I have phat cats in my Eastman and they are great pickups.

It’s interesting to see the construction of the GFS models. The one in my parts box is a Warman version. Pretty similar construction it seems. I might try that with the Evo in the bridge (it sounds decent split too) at first then buy in some replacements if needed.

Probably the best sounding p90 I’ve ever had I bought from someone on here yonks ago. It was an SD antiquity. I’d love to go down that route but I don’t want to hack up the old supersonic. Tho I’ll have a look at the routing under the guard I crack it open tomorrow to see what the state of play is.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Just adding another +1 to the Dream 90, I use one in the bridge of a single pickup strat I put together, it’s a great choice.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

and if you get the chrome version, you can look really cool like this.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Very cool. Tho this is white so I’ll most likely go for black.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.
I've had the DiMarzio bluesbucker recommended to me, and I've been looking at the Mississippi Queen by Bareknuckle.

I love the zebra stripe aesthetic of the stock pickups so might give a bluesbucker a try. Apparently the main coil is wound big and wide like a P90 and then the slug coil is just for bucking the hum.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

GreenKnee wrote:I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.
I've had the DiMarzio bluesbucker recommended to me, and I've been looking at the Mississippi Queen by Bareknuckle.

I love the zebra stripe aesthetic of the stock pickups so might give a bluesbucker a try. Apparently the main coil is wound big and wide like a P90 and then the slug coil is just for bucking the hum.
I have the Bluesbucker in my SGuar and it is awesome.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

theshadowofseattle wrote:
GreenKnee wrote:I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.

I have the Bluesbucker in my SGuar and it is awesome.
That's good to know, the people who have them love them so I'm definitely leaning that way. Plus the DiMarzio are a much more sensible price than a set of Bareknuckles
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I’ve never pulled the trigger on any Bareknuckle pickups. Everyone I know who has used them has ended up taking them back out and selling them. The Bluesbucker sounds interesting too tho.

I’m currently quite pleased with the splittables in this just now. So I’ll probably hold off on the P90s until I need these pickups for something else.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Here it is as it is now. Somewhat of a stealth upgrade. Needs a mint guard tho. It definitely needs a black tip whammy too.Image
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

White on white looks super classy to me
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thomas wrote:Needs a mint guard tho
this is why we're not allowed to have nice things
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i think it would look awesome with white or chrome pickups/covers. you'd need to slightly trim the pickguard in its present state, tho, since the current pickup routes form fit to the humbuckers.

still, looks great, imo.