ever used a pedal/effect switcher?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

dots
BADmin (he/him)

ever used a pedal/effect switcher?

Post by dots »

i'm looking at the boss and EHX versions of this idea and wondering if anyone has experience with programmable pedal switchers. it seems like you might give up some of the "in the moment" control over the dials, but the organization and reliability seems to be a huge value add.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

also seeing this from voodoo lab that seems to combine best of both worlds?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I remember thinking the Boss ES-8 looked amazing when it was announced but realistically I just don't need that level of flexibility/control just pissing about at home :(

Being able to sync up the tempo of delays/modulation (including via MIDI) looked especially cool.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

I've looked into and been tempted by TheGigRig stuff (Quartermaster as I don't need all that crazy MIDI functionality). Not sure what the availability of that stuff is in the US though, but worth a look if you can get hold of it.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

the g2 looks super awesome... spendy, but yeah. also found their USA shop to save on VAT.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, I used a Mooer GEC9 for a few years, generally very handy. Nearly bought the Boss until I decided singing and playing math rock was already hard enough, and ended up simplifying that setup.

I loved how simple the Mooer was to “programme�, it was literally a button push to add/remove a loop to your preset, instantly saving as it goes. I think there’s similar “immediate� units out there too; no need to fuck with menus and etc.

Also the Mooer was setup that pushing an already active preset footswitch would put the unit into bypass; no need to have a dedicated ‘bypass’ preset or any of that shit.

There’s a ES-5 too, that might be closer to your requirements?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

those (the mooer and the boss) look fantastic, too. going this route, i'd have to make a decision as to whether i prefer a huge board with pedals and switcher in front of me or just the switcher connected (i assume via midi or din cable) to a controller back at the amp. probably getting way ahead of myself, but i am thinking about how i'd arrange presets already.

also just found out one of my colleagues who stopped playing guitar in the early 90s but had what he considers a decent pedal collection from the 80s is going to be giving them away. he's sending me photos over the weekend, and i can't wait to see what that includes. he mentioned DOD and marshall but couldn't remember them all, so i'm very curious.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

dibs :lol:

Switchers scare me
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Some switchers are dead simple though, like the above Joyo. I actually first had one made by a one-man electronics company initially; just a metal box with footswitches, LEDs and some microcontrollers inside. That said, it ended up going wonky haha. While all of this stuff seems like overkill for a lot of usages, not having to click 3 pedals at once while trying to sing, play and at least appear interested in a live situation is worth the slight learning curve.

The Mooer was similar to those simpleass Joyos etc. but had more ways to wire it up, to the point you could even use a few loops as amp footswitches with the right cable plumbing.

The main sell for me on the Mooer was the fact you could essentially plumb a pedal in between loops 1-4 and 5-8, but still have it included in bypass mode. My "clean" tone was a medium overdrive, but I still wanted some pedals before and some after, so it was perfectttttt.

From what I remember, the Boss units offer a LOT; you can even re-order the pedals PER preset, which is pretty amazing. Very easy to get into the weeds on this stuff, but if you've got specific wiring issues or needs, there's some game-changing shit out there.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

and that's what i am talking about -- that ability to swing between completely different tone recipes quickly and accurately without expending too much cognitive energy as that, in my view, should be focused as much on the actual playing/singing in front of the audience.

true, though, is the fact i haven't played a live show with my rig since christmas time 2019. so there is not some immediacy to this, but i would like to play out again, and since i've invested so much already in gear, this does seem worth exploring. if nothing else, the learning is really fun... if spendy.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Whoops; MOEN, not Mooer. You too can be like this mook

[youtube][/youtube]

If I was in the market for another, I'd defo give the GEC5 a look; got MIDI and everythiiiiiing

http://www.thomann.de/gb/moen_gec5.htm
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Not buying a pedal demo’d by that guy, but he does sort of make me want to riot and rape and rip off Nirvana.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I don't understand why all those things don't have built-in tuners.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I'd do anything for a free mono to mono adapter
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

I started to think about how to make one a while ago. Running off an Arduino, but when you look at the number of relays required it gets expensive. Well if you want to do the programmable order switching with a matrix.
euan
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Mike wrote:I'd do anything for a free mono to mono adapter
Just you and me, buddy, mono a mono!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Hurb wrote:dibs :lol:
i think ima snag the guv'nor and the TS10 -- can't ever have enough dirt. never was a fan of their stuff, but am i missing out on the DOD overdrive?
► Show Spoiler
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I'm actually on the lookout for a second DD3, if that's still up for grabs?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

dots wrote:
Hurb wrote:dibs :lol:
i think ima snag the guv'nor and the TS10 -- can't ever have enough dirt. never was a fan of their stuff, but am i missing out on the DOD overdrive?
► Show Spoiler
The old dod stuff defiantly has as following. If its free or cheap you should snag the lot.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:Not buying a pedal demo’d by that guy, but he does sort of make me want to riot and rape and rip off Nirvana.
:lol:

Pure RockAndRollConfidential.com Hall Of Douchebags fodder
Last edited by Doog on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.