Best Jaguar set up video

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mike wrote:I got my string-a-lee gauge

Both Jaguars just needed a little slackening of the trussrod as I had very little relief when measuring it with the old capo 1, 17th fret, measure at the 8th method.

Not really sure there is a noticeable difference in the playing as a result of it, but at least I am PERIOD CORRECT now
You might find a more noticeable difference tomorrow; this has sometimes been the case when I tweak truss rods (depending on the weather/ambient temp), especially if the outcome meant tweaking the action also.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Doog wrote:
Mike wrote:I got my string-a-lee gauge

Both Jaguars just needed a little slackening of the trussrod as I had very little relief when measuring it with the old capo 1, 17th fret, measure at the 8th method.

Not really sure there is a noticeable difference in the playing as a result of it, but at least I am PERIOD CORRECT now
You might find a more noticeable difference tomorrow; this has sometimes been the case when I tweak truss rods (depending on the weather/ambient temp), especially if the outcome meant tweaking the action also.
Patience is key with the truss rod adjustments. I leave the guitar on a stand to rest overnight, I feel like laying it down in a case is either going to let gravity have an effect or resting the neck in the case will do the opposite (I've no idea really but feel like it being vertical is best)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Kinda feel like that's overstating the effect gravity can have vs. the 200~ pounds of pressure the strings provide, but each to their own :wink:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/quest ... ro-gravity

These folk certainly seem to think gravity will do nowt here too; barely even having an effect on the string itself.

Putting it in a case might have an effect due to potential difference in humidity/temperature but it's definitely all more about "how quickly" the neck will adjust, rather than it straight-up not changing at all or something.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

That's good to know, thanks. I'd never looked into the validity of my assumptions, just went with my gut so it's nice to know I don't have to be quite so anal about these things. I seem to remember Puisheen saying how guitars should be intonated in the playing position rather than laid down, but I guess in that orientation gravity is working perpendicular to the tension of the strings and truss rod.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Oh, for sure 'playing position vs. laying flat' can have an effect on guitar's tuned pitch due to the neck bending slightly if the headstock has enough tiltback to make contact with the surface, if the neck is mega heavy, and/or the neck-body join is not super solid and kinda acting as a slight pivot.

Makes 100% sense to tune and intonate in the position you're going to be using the guitar in!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Yep, all the Erlewine books recommend setting up in playing position.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I’ve always done that by accident since you have to play the thing to intonate it
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Unless you’re doing it on a workbench/table like some techs do
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I do mine in the bathtube
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.