NGD - Fender American Professional II Jazzmaster - LH

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

MattK

Re: NGD - Fender American Professional II Jazzmaster - LH

Post by MattK »

I’m sorry it was in the hands of idiots, but I’m glad to hear you’re bonded to the point where you’re protective of it no matter what cost!
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Well there are limits but i'd like to slow down my greying hair as much as i can. :P
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

That really is the best looking color on a jazzmaster.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

It's got issues and i am really disappointed with 2021 Fender US quality control but yes, that color was made for a JM.

Hurbb said perhaps not a bad idea to lube saddles with those nylon inserts for the bridge posts, he recommended shooting Mike Adams a DM about it.
So i did.
He said there's thimbles under there. Bridge post liberation day.
Thanks Jorden, thanks Mike.

kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Normally you'd be happy and over the moon with a nice JM

With this one it's been one thing after another.
I've set it up quite perfectly, the nylon inserts on the bridge are gone, it's freed, it's safe from anymore store abuse and i absolutely feel comfortable playing it.
With the KC jag i had to compromise using a roller bridge (post spacing won't fit JM/jag thimbles and bridge stock, you'd need to fill and redrill)
I love the panorama trem, i love the neck and frets feel (love those narrow tall ones like on my CV), love the heel cutaway. All feels solid.

I hate the modern string through tuners, i'm a big fan of safetipost vintage style, i knew that when i bought it though, as a righty i would've saved up for an avri/american classic knowing my spec preferences but this is a good compromise for a lefty.
I have no complaints about the AVII pickups.
Yes they are not 'fantastic' at what i love those Q pickups '58 for, but they are more than decent at about anything you put them through.
They cover a more broad spectrum 'decently' rather than shining at something specific, basically.
With all the controls options i have no complaints, if i feel like surfs or spaghetti western stuff, it's there, if i feel like shreds, it's also there.

But bad news keeps coming.
Then i open the case, pick it up, plug it in, and i'm loving it. Why i don't want to return it.

Fender US CR a while ago

Fender Germany (covers Belgium) today
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Ugh, what a complete pain in the ass; so sorry Kim.

At least you can send them just the neck, rather than trusting them with the whole thing any more. Maybe they'd cover the cost of new pickup covers and bridge/intonation screws too?

I'll gladly buy those nylon bridge inserts from you, to add to the commiseration fund.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

If you want those nylon inserts you can have them, sucks about shipping cost to UK but i'd gladly mail them to you if you want them.
Perhaps in non tracked envelope just as letter post it'd be cheap.
I'll verify diameter so you know they'll fit for sure.

The shop said either return the whole thing like it was (too bad, pickguard wrap cover is gone) or a refund of €75 which i initially agreed on but i have not received to this day. (that was before i saw more damage they or one of their other customers caused)
I should inform paypal about that. Still 75 is quite laughable.

I bought aged white pickup covers and intonation screws myself, 20 damage, yes, i did that.
I also put in time to remove the dents on the toggle tip and trem tip (both had a dent).
Because i really did fall in love with this poor thing.

If anything, i got some gratification out of setting it up as intended and fixing up what was damaged.

Goes to show, i guess the superficial damages were caused by either the shop or some customer who returned it but ...when i got my MIA P Bass in 2005 i paid less and the thing was spotless.
The edges nicely rolled, nicer than on this one, no damage, clean, untouched from the US factory to the store i bought it from.
That's what you'd expect, if you're spending a months wage on an instrument, you expect it to get to you the same way as it left proper quality control at the factory. Whatever you want to change from factory setup is up to you, but the instrument is 'new' and in the condition it should leave.

Maybe Fender US has lost its pride, i've heard about american originals showing up with QC issues too.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

kinda ?

Anyway, was looking up some stuff, lead circuit is 500k, 'rythm' circuit (no classic rythm circuit on this) are 1meg

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/SM_011397XXXX_Am_Pro_II_Jazzmaster.pdf

someone made a drawing of the wiring

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I’m not sure I’d put as much blame at Fender’s door here. I’m not saying they are blameless but from the fact that it’s clearly a guitar that has been used and returned, who is to say all of this wasn’t done by the previous owner or whilst in the shop? I’m feel really sorry for you as you’ve clearly been sold a non-new product but that’s not Fender’s fault. Personally I wouldn’t have hesitated and just sent it back, but that’s just me. My experience of Fender US products have been flawless, maybe I’ve been lucky.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

My Dad and my brother in law have both bought Am Pro II strats in the past 6 months and they are both amazing things. My Dad’s also left handed so I get to benefit from that! Once again, I’m sorry you’ve experienced this, the shop have a lot to answer for.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Haven't heard anything more from the cunts, no refunds, nothing

The badly seated fret and hole under the wire i'm pretty sure are Fender's QC responsibility.
The other damage, likely the store or a customer who returned it. Yes.

This is only my second US Fender, my first one, from 2005 is a wonderful instrument, no issues, bought as new and received as new.

This one is a wonderful guitar too, all nonsense aside, but it's a shame about all the issues, no refunds and just a pile of bullshit being laughed away.

Perhaps i should've returned it straightaway, like the other customer(s), but it's a big chunk of money for me and after contact with the store who were, really, just making fun of what i found as 'it's not a big deal, i can barely see it !' and some other comments that rubbed me the wrong way...knowing i only get refunded when they receive the guitar in the condition it was, aaand it ships with bpost...yeah...
belgian post. Good luck.
I gambled once already buying online, that was enough. :lol:

I absolutely love the thing, if the fretboard collapses, worst case scenario, well then, exciting !
They can keep whatever miserable little refund they offered. I'm done with them. Damn headache.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah sounds like the biggest issue is the shop not taking it seriously and that’s completely unacceptable. Glad you think it’s a wonderful instrument though, as long as it brings you joy in the long term that’s what matters.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

I won't be throwing it about but the fact it didn't arrive pristine makes me less nervous in the way i treat it, it's a solid tool and in hindsight i'm happy i got this one. :lol:

That CV JM made me fall in love with how jazzmaster pickups work and the way the strings travel,the resonance.
As a lefty this was the one that checked most of the boxes for me, like when i got my MIA P Bass, from start that was my trusty one and have never felt the need for a different bass.

Well, I wouldn't mind being gifted a lefty wal mk1 :wink:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Out of curiosity I emailed Fender about the little leather pouch we should have got in our cases. The rep said they had a shortages be didn’t want to delay shipping guitars out due the bags not being available.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

I filled in the customer protection form from PayPal asking for 20% for used guitar.

Correct replacement intonation screws and pickup covers arrived.

And yeah i figured that's why they went with the seal bags instead.
Would've liked a pouch for the trem arm but i like the seal bag for the papers and cerificate as it's sealable.
I've seen some other (curiously only jazzmasters) for sale without the fender pouch.

My guess is either they underestimated sales for the offset (compared to the strats, teles and basses) or the required parts for those JM's are less availabe, 1 meg mini pots (and the 500k reverse in lefties), switches, toggles, trem plates (again, less lefty) ..which is why production is less.

Perhaps combination of both.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

There was quite a long waiting list for JMs, with some folk who bought them on release waiting for months for them. I think the plastic baggie ones were when they’d finally caught up on production.

I think that you’re correct that they were a lot more popular than they expected.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Yeah that makes sense, they released mid october 2020, some waited almost a year to receive their order (i remember Mike Adams saying it was a year).
This one was made in june and july of 2021, so i think you're right production starting to catch up by summer 2021-autumn 2021 and the standard accessories included may have been reserved for earlier orders.

May also be why i received (possibly) a returned JM, lots of them are 'on request' from retailers, especially lefthanded ànd JM, perhaps some bozo wanted a lefty jm, bax ordered one through fender, sent to customer, kept it a bit (and used clunky tools on it) and then sent it back after the max 30 days, then they put it up for sale again.

Wonder if you were really demanding same treatment like other customers, to make a point, you could reach out to fender to have them send you a pouch when there's enough stock....lal.

One of the reasons (other than ..logistics) i didn't accept to return it is that long waiting time and i wanted a '21 one. That 75 stamp is on pretty much everything fender made this year, i know, but i like having that there.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

You got it from bax shop ? Theyve always sent me damaged stuff.. A tele with rattling screws and shit pots (not screwed correctly), but it was a cheapo guitar, Fender frontman amp with a damage on the side..
Dont like that place. hah. But I bought some cheapo stuff.. so for this kinda product they should pay a bit more attention.

But as You say its only a tool.. and ya.. When I turned on my amp and fixed the electronics on my chepo tele I was happy. hah.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Bax Music and Tonefactory are two shops i will never do business with again.

Luckily i paid with paypal, still no response from Kax about my 20% refund request, i doubt they'll agree and then make it a claim.

It's just a push of a button, i'm not having headaches over it anymore as i'm happy i got my lefty US jm.

Cheap or not, if items are sold as new they better show up new and not damaged, damaged is not new. We must be so genious for understanding that. :lol:
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

News

It's pretty obvious to me but PayPal will side with the seller.