2022 gear goals

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: 2022 gear goals

Post by plopswagon »

He’s like Tommy Lee but with custard sparkle drums!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Wow, dude! Does he have a hot girlfriend with unnaturally gigantic breasts?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Another long standing goal of mine has been to upgrade my Aerodyne Tele, starting with the pickups. Last night I started that ball rolling by ordering pickups from Bulldog. Hoping to get a neck P-90 that's wound hot, but tapped to have a vintage output too. I'll have that switchable by a push pull pot on the volume knob. Then a bridge pickup that's wound to match.

Eventually, I'll get one of those fancy Free-way 6 position switches to get all the options on the Nuno Bettencourt Nele thing:
► Show Spoiler
After that, I might get round to upgrading the bridge, but I don't really know why. Might even go the whole way and get a Mastery or Callaham or something.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

nice!

but shouldn't the switch tip be more... *amber*? :lol:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

My understanding is that once it has buotuiqe pickups and a bullshit, cryo'd bridge on it, the black switch tip will naturally turn amber over time.
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm He’s like Tommy Lee but with custard sparkle drums!
And without the talent, to be fair.

I’m not sure what Mrs NickD would say to Sunshiner’s question :shock:
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

plopswagon wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm He’s like Tommy Lee but with custard!
tlj.jpeg
tlj.jpeg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 1841 times
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Need an Stingray bass
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^ I have two
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

My gear as it stands is my Tele that Shad gave me, a black partscaster strat, the white Squier P-bass I use for the band, my Bullet Mustang and a black Daisy Rock Retro H and my red burst Recco (no, YOU haven’t ordered the missing tailpiece to finish putting it back together yet). I’m fairly set in the amp and pedal department, w my Orange for geetarz and my Ampeg used for the band. I don’t use pedals much outside of when I’m playing Electric Wizard covers and I need four dirt pedals on at once.

This year I’ll reassemble the two that are in pieces, but as much as I’d like to I don’t think I’ll get any more. First one on the chopping block is the Mustang, unless I find the time to replace the pickups in it.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

paul_ wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 am Need an Stingray bass
me too

:P

plops has one for each of us lol

but i changed my mind and would rather have my dream bass

a wal mark I (lefthanded)

Or the true OG wal 'pro II'

Last edited by kim on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

4CA52151-F3DF-476F-A29B-1A2382B8AA81.jpeg
4CA52151-F3DF-476F-A29B-1A2382B8AA81.jpeg (247.62 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
► Show Spoiler
paul_

Post by paul_ »

kim wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:11 pm
paul_ wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:30 am Need an Stingray bass
me too

:P

plops has one for each of us lol

but i changed my mind and would rather have my dream bass

a wal mark I (lefthanded)
I wouldn’t mind a Wal Mk I or II either but they’re like one hundred million dollars when I can even find one listed anywhere (I see you found the $11k one on Reverb, haha). I’ll probably only go for a Sterling brand ‘Ray in the end after all. This has a lot to do with my only roundwound bass the last few years being an Epi EB-3 which doesn’t really sound any good for the contemporary (80s and early 90s) toanz.
This has been bugging me long enough that I’ve considered getting a job at Ernie Ball (who are local to me) for a discount.

So that’s very generous, plops, but don’t worry about it for now.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

The MASSIVE picture that Kim posted above, it looks like there are two output plates on the side. What's going on there?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I have a lot of synthesizers but not a lot of essentials to do fun things with them besides playing them live.

So I think 2022 for me will be filling in the blanks with the boring stuff to get the most out of what I already have.

That said, I just ordered an Arturia Keystep and an S Trigger cable so I can do arpeggiated things with my old MG-1, and am now on the lookout for some cheap drum machines-eyeing the RX15 and RD-6.
dub

Post by dub »

I'm similar, just trying not to accumulate too many synth/tabletop boxes! I always get tempted by cheap volcas and gadgets but already don't have enough space on my desk for what I've got.

Priorities are:
Getting a midi-cv module (or maybe one of those little NIftyCases to do the same job) and open up my options controlling the eurorack.
Get a bigger desk and tidy up the music space so everything is a little more plug and play, probably hide my mixer underneath. Get some small drawers to store/organise pedals, so I don't have to go digging through my storage bins or have them laying about. Buy a bunch of cabling.
Probably impulse buy some analogue synth to do more classic sounds to augment the microfreak, maybe a secondhand behringer model D or a Minilogue, maybe the XD.

Guitarwise I'm set, maybe I should sell one of the guitars I don't use. Was thinking of turning that coronado neck into a project but I'm enjoying the trashy hollowbody already attached, might put a better pickup in the bridge.
Only pedal I've been meaning to buy is a MicroPOG. HX stomp has me covered from everything except poly-octaving.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Bacchus wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:26 pm The MASSIVE picture that Kim posted above, it looks like there are two output plates on the side. What's going on there?

I think it's actually a powered line out. I don't know exactly how their wiring or controls work but I do know that those Wal pickups have a separate coil pair for each string. I'm seldom impressed by stereo output guitars but if it's a 8-pickup active bass, OH GO ON THEN I suppose.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.48 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i think i need to get a bass this year, and i'm struggling with the idea of either just getting any ol' bass to have a bass, or putting in some real effort to get something i'll have around for a while and maybe even invest time into getting to be a passably decent bassist. right now, the decision matrix is...
  • bronco bass (cheapest) from craigslist or ebay
  • jaguar bass because they look bad ass
  • bass VI, and yes "Get Back" re-piqued my interest given how versatilely they passed theirs around
beyond that (guitar wise), it's about figuring out whether i want to do another mustang build with the surplus parts i have from last year's project.

for my fx, i'm still toying with the idea of TheGigRig but will probably hold off until i know i have a band together and a reasonable expectation of playing out to justify that.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Thoughts on CV Mustang bass? I liked my Bronco for what it was but the Squier Mustang is a decent improvement.