Acoustic guitar recommendations (I ended up buying a Yamaha FG830)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Acoustic guitar recommendations (I ended up buying a Yamaha FG830)

Post by Gavin »

Been thinking about picking up a new acoustic. Just for playing round the house. I used to have a Yamaha F310 years ago (have no memory what I actually did with that guitar). I remember liking it at the time, so I figured I might buy another, but I am doing alright for money these days, so I thought maybe I could spend more in the £300 range to get something better? Is it worth it?

I also had a look on eBay to see if there was any interesting vintage acoustics. I saw a cool looking Hagström, but then I thought, maybe it's a bad idea to buy a wonky old guitar that is horrible to play but looks cool and has mojo.
Last edited by Gavin on Tue May 24, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner

Re: Acoustic guitar recommendations

Post by sunshiner »

I have an f310. Every f310 i played was a dull sounding instrument although well built. I'd buy some parlor sized guitar with a 14th fret joint full neck. At the same time every parlor guitar I played sounded either boxy or tinny when strumming
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i'll have to look at the model number as i never remember it, but i love my martin acoustic/electric. got it in 2012 new, and it's only gone from great sounding to even better over the years as the wood has aged. it's not a full out dreadnought, but it is of the larger size, so you get plenty of low/low-mid tones even with the cutaway on the lower bout. some shy away from electrics, but doing so also sacrifices the built-in tuner in addition to the ability jack it in virtually anywhere as needed.

i want to say i paid about $1200 new back in the day, but i think this model was superseded by another with slightly different specs. anyway, pry it from my cold, dead hands, i dare you.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Was it only guitars that belonged to someone else that you used to smash over people's heads?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I love my wonky vintage Harmony built Silvertone, it doesn’t play as well or sound as good as my 70’s Takamine dreadnought but it’s got tons of mojo. I wouldn’t buy one without being able to play it first.

For around the house there’s plenty of midrange priced dreadnoughts that’ll do I think.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Do you have any pictures of your Silvertone? I think you've posted one before
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Here it is in all its spruce and painted on pickguard glory.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks nice, I've never known that pickguard was just painted on them
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:34 am painted on pickguard
:shock: :shock:
Personal pronouns he/him
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

It’s ok, I paint on my six pack abs as well.
► Show Spoiler
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I got an Epiphone EL00 for £150 secondhand. It's pretty good and is just like a smaller EJ200.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Just checked yesterday... DCPA4 is the model of my Martin. It's worth as much or more than I bought it for 10 years ago :shock:
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Gavin wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:01 pm Been thinking about picking up a new acoustic. Just for playing round the house. I used to have a Yamaha F310 years ago (have no memory what I actually did with that guitar). I remember liking it at the time, so I figured I might buy another, but I am doing alright for money these days, so I thought maybe I could spend more in the £300 range to get something better? Is it worth it?

I also had a look on eBay to see if there was any interesting vintage acoustics. I saw a cool looking Hagström, but then I thought, maybe it's a bad idea to buy a wonky old guitar that is horrible to play but looks cool and has mojo.
If you were stateside I could get you an Eastman hookup on a pretty nice guitar. Can't do it over the pond though. :( Theya re great if you get a chance to play one, have a garage full of them.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think (particularly on an electric guitar forum) this is one of those topics that will inevitably descend into people recommending the thing that they have.

In that vein, I'm still very much in love with my Sigma 000M-15. It's much battered now, having been used in classrooms by hundreds of students. But it's still gorgeous.

If I was spending a bit more serious money on an acoustic, I'd be very comfortable spending it on a Sigma.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Bacchus wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:48 am I think (particularly on an electric guitar forum) this is one of those topics that will inevitably descend into people recommending the thing that they have.

In that vein, I'm still very much in love with my Sigma 000M-15. It's much battered now, having been used in classrooms by hundreds of students. But it's still gorgeous.

If I was spending a bit more serious money on an acoustic, I'd be very comfortable spending it on a Sigma.
I had a 12 fret version of that. It's a bit too close in style to my Martin (which is the Martin version of your guitar) so I sold it, but it was a great guitar.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

Ok, interesting. This seems like the recommendation I'm looking for. In that £300 range and seems justifiably worth the extra £200.

I have a friend that plays a lot of acoustic and he said I should just get a Little Martin for playing in the house. I'm kind of immediately resistant because of the Ed Sheeran connection, but I'm thinking maybe it would be a good idea if I can get one second hand.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

After looking up reviews, the Sigma that Bacchus recommended is now in a head to head with the Yamaha FG830. Honestly, I love the look of the Yamaha, so if there's not much difference between the sound/feel of the Sigma I will end up getting the Yamaha on looks alone. Took a halfie off work tomorrow to go uptown to the local corporate guitar shitehole guitarguitar to try them both out.

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... tic-guitar

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... n-sunburst
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sigma also do dreadnought type guitars.

I'm not really an acoustic player, but I've always thought it much more important to play the actual instrument and like it than with electrics. So yeah, heading into town and playing a load is the way to go.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Re: Acoustic guitar recommendations (I ended up buying a Yamaha FG830)

Post by Gavin »

So, yeah. That was a much harder choice than I anticipated. Both the Sigma 000M15 and the Yamaha FG830 felt really nice to play and sounded really good.

I had thought I'd go for the Yamaha on looks alone if they felt/sounded similar but irl the Yamaha looked a bit worse (more plasticy looking) and the Sigma looked better (nice understated satiny looking). The slightly more comfortable size was in favour of the Sigma but the slightly nicer sound (to my unsophisticated ears) went to the Yamaha.

I actually wanted to buy both but that would be stupid. So, I bought the Yamaha. £389. Was £299 for the Sigma. The money didn't factor in that much cause I had planned on spending a wad anyway.

I just felt that it sounded a bit more resonant and had more sustain. Had a kind of classic acoustic guitar sound to my ears.

Loving it.
► Show Spoiler
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Re: Acoustic guitar recommendations (I ended up buying a Yamaha FG830)

Post by dots »

nice. glad this turned out to be a winner for you.