1964 Mustang custom order Candy Apple Red, no documentation?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doug

1964 Mustang custom order Candy Apple Red, no documentation?

Post by Doug »

On Reverb there's a man selling his 1964 Mustang for $7.5K. He claims to be the original owner; that his parents custom ordered the Candy Apple Red paint. I'm concerned it may be a refin. He has offered no documentation but has answered my inquiry promptly (see below). Anyone have any knowledge of this type of claim, or suggestions for me as I consider buying the guitar? -Doug, Atlanta, Georgia, USA

http://reverb.com/item/39596926-1964-f ... -apple-red

Thanks for your prompt reply. This story sounds credible, sir. (I am not assuming you the owner are also Mike of Mike's Shop. ) And yet this is a custom order. How did your parents know about placing a custom order with Fender in 1964? And why did they insist on Candy Apple Red when Fiesta Red was readily available? I've been collecting vintage guitars since 1978 and I have a 1965 Mustang. If you have the accurate story, I'd guess the guitar is worth close to $7.5K. But without more than the your story, I'd need some corroborating documentation. Perhaps Fender has a record of your parents' custom order...? -Doug, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Doug
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Re: 1964 Mustang custom order Candy Apple Red, no documentation?

Post by Nick »

I’m no authority on Fender custom stuff but I don’t know that I’ve personally ever run across a custom color on a Mustang.

Also the color used on the Mustangs of the era was Dakota and not Fiesta red
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Second what Nick says.

According to Mr. Maxima custom colors were never offered on Mustangs. Even if it is original from the factory, it’s still a white one that’s been resprayed.

Also the listing says alder, but again Mr. Maxima says they were all poplar in the 60s.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

That's just a load of bullshit.
CAR came with white guards. Mustang was an entry level student guitar, the "custom" model would've been the Jaguar.
And, above all, if anything, there would be at least some SPECIAL marking/stamp under the pickguard.

So no, I say no way.
my name is Pat.