New Amp Day: Orange Rocker 30

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

New Amp Day: Orange Rocker 30

Post by Nick »

5 years ago I decided to buy an Orange, and in my budget at the time, I settled on an OR15. It was cool because it had an effects loop that I never used, and a 3 band EQ which the Tiny Terror didn't have. I still love the sound of that amp, but being single channel, it wasn't very practical in a live environment.

Saw this at my friend's store, it's like the OR15 but is 30 watts, and has two footswitchable channels (the "Natural" channel is JUST master volume-that's it, and the dirty channel has a gain/master with 3 band EQ). Traded my OR15 + Peavey Classic 30 and the old speaker from my DRRI + some cash for it. It came with a cover and footswitch - I want a 2nd PPC112 for it now for the full stack, but it's probably enough as it is:
Rocker30.jpg
Rocker30.jpg (237.67 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Re: New Amp Day: Orange Rocker 30

Post by Freddy V-C »

Sick! How does the "natural" channel sound?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Freddy V-C wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 am Sick! How does the "natural" channel sound?
Like Birkenstocks.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Super cool, I'm very surprised they didn't share the EQ across channels though!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

So no EQ on the "natural" channel at all?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Bacchus wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am So no EQ on the "natural" channel at all?
Nope!
Freddy V-C wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:05 am Sick! How does the "natural" channel sound?
Bright and clean, on the edge of breakup but not quite. It likes neck single coils but humbuckers/hotter pickups in the bridge. I’ll have a better idea of levels after practice tonight, but just playing it solo last night it was one of those things where it inspired playing I wouldn’t normally do so I’m a fan of it so far
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nick wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:46 am
Bacchus wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:35 am So no EQ on the "natural" channel at all?
Nope!
Curious. I'd be interested to see how that works out long term. I can see that making sense if you had something like the Orange/Matamp FAC control to at least tune the amp to the guitar, then an EQ for the "extra" channel.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Yeah I was thinking of using an EQ pedal on the natural channel (first going to try my Nobels ODR-mini at practice later as a tone control/boost).
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Congrats, great amp. I nearly bought one but ended up splurging on the Rockerverb 50 but really enjoyed the Rocker when I tried it.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It passed the practice test, I ended up using my new Nobels ODR-mini as a gain boost for both channels. I was also testing out my new Strat, might have just been getting used to everything but I found myself controlling my sound with the guitar’s controls rather than pedal settings, which is probably a good thing. My bandmates even complimented my tone so I think it’s a keeper, our next show is in a month so I’m planning to use it.

This is my first real foray into the world of 2 channel amps and definitely making me rethink my pedal situation…I’ll probably get an EQ to replace one of the now redundant dirt pedals on my board.
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

:D

cool to see there's still love for the rocker 30, congrats !