NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Post by taylornutt »

I had reached out to a person on Craigslist about a month ago about this guitar and they said they still had it but I had to wait until today to come get it. I thought it odd but my patience paid off and I am now the owner of new (unplayed) Classic Vibe Mustang in Olympic white. A Fender Mustang case was included as well.

The guitar is exactly what you expect from an out of the box Classic Vibe Mustang. It needs a setup and some upgrades, but it has no other issues. The stock strings are very small and still are not stretched out yet. The pickups are pretty bright but loud enough. Some of the pickguard screws need to be backed out and run in straight. The fretboard is very dry and needs some oil to condition the wood. The nut will probably need some widening to accommodate larger strings.

My initial plans are to:

1) Replace the Squier Mustang Vibrato with Fender Mustang Vibrato
2) move the springs down on the Vibrato arms to get the better tuning stability
3) Shim the neck
4) Oil the fretboard
5) Raise the bridge and adjust the tremolo.
6) Possibly replace the tuners

I am looking forward to getting this guitar from good to great.

What upgrades have you made to your CV Mustangs?

Stock Setup

J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
Fakir Mustache

Re: NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Mustang

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The fingerboard on mine looked dry as well. However, it was not. Just looks like that, actually felt oily and has some sort of lacquer or something.

Also, yours is not white, it's really blue. The white ones look like coffee with tons of cream. I know it's not really blue, but it's what the manufacturer calls it.

I just changed the pickups and did the usual setup, including checking to see if the springs are as tight as possible.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Wade-19

Post by Wade-19 »

It is Olympic white.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Fakir Mustache wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:00 pm The fingerboard on mine looked dry as well. However, it was not. Just looks like that, actually felt oily and has some sort of lacquer or something.

Also, yours is not white, it's really blue. The white ones look like coffee with tons of cream. I know it's not really blue, but it's what the manufacturer calls it.

I just changed the pickups and did the usual setup, including checking to see if the springs are as tight as possible.
It's Olympic White not Sonic Blue. I played a Squier Sonic Blue Jazzmaster last week and this guitar is not the same color.

You are thinking of the Vintage White (yellow).

This Mustang is basically brand new, but it was not bought recently and not one of the current colors.

The seller said it was Sonic Blue but I think she was going off the current website not what she bought.

I played another used Olympic white model at my local guitar shop and looks identical to mine.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Good score! Fakir might be right. VM Mustang was super pale blue and CV Sonic Blue is almost white. I don't think Squier has made any other colors for CV Mustang other than Vintage White(super yellowish) and Sonic Blue which looks white. Exception are FSR models, but I don't think there was an Olympic White one
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

They also made a Limited Edition run of the classic Mustang colors: Blue, Red and Olympic White.

My guitar is the Olympic White model and you can still purchase them at Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/Cla ... 0296708.gc
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Oh, my bad then, I didn't know that
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I ordered a new Fender Vibrato and Vibrato arm to swap out on the Classic Vibe.

In the meantime, my wife mentioned that if I took down two frames I could can more guitars on the wall (She is so wise).

I can now get all my offset guitars out on the wall at the same time.

ImageImage

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Nice! Love that bronco.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Thom wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:52 pm Nice! Love that bronco.
Thanks. Now that its out I hope to play it more. It needs a ground wire.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I wanted to address the issue about the color of this guitar.

Several people said the guitar was Sonic Blue and I was contending that is was Olympic White.

After looking at several websites selling this guitar, I now understand the confusion.

I know that the colors that Squier uses are not a 100% match for what Fender USA or Fender Mexico uses. There will clearly be some variation but I am not sure how Squier thinks this color is Sonic Blue.

I found a couple pics from Guitar Center, Chicago Music Exchange and Fender's Website. I don't consider any of those colors to be Sonic Blue. The pictures from Fender's site look more like Surf Green.

Here is a comparison between Squier and Fender guitar in the same color. The Jag-stand is what I consider to be Sonic Blue(slightly lighter version of Daphne Blue). When I look directly at my guitar in good light, it looks Olympic White but something in the clear coat tones down the white to be less bright. It's just bizarre that Squier and Fender's colors are that far off.

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

I have been working on getting this Mustang fine tuned.

The bridge was too high so I lowered it initially to the same height as my Vintage Mustang.

I realized that since the Squier has a flatter 9.5" fretboard radius, that I would need to drop it lower to accommodate that.

The action is nice and low and intimated properly. I oiled the fretboard again since the Laurel wood continues to be dry.

Overall the guitar is done and has a cool new strap.

taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Any good recommendations for upgrading the tuners?

I was looking at some Vintera Jaguar tuners but was curious what others might have used.

I like the look and feel of the tuners but it takes a lot more noodling to get it in tune.