NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Post by Nick »

Picked this up on the Squier Labor Day sale at Proaudiostar....they were doing deep discounts and a lot of the CV and Paranormals were $280, this included. Would have gone for the black, if it were offered at the same price, but beggars can't be choosers.

It arrived with the top of the box open. Usually there's a box inside a box, but this one was just packed in an open carton inside a single shipping box. Ok kinda sus but no big deal.

I opened it, and immediately realized the strings were tuned almost to standard E tuning (was probably closer to D or Eb but I immediately detuned it)....should be B standard, this has some heavy 14-68 strings and that was a lot of tension...then I noticed the strings were rusty...the frets also looked unpolished if not corroded. The worst part is probably the tuning keys that actually have pitting on the chrome plating. I was pretty upset by all this but the neck and body were very nice, and it'd a good weight for what it is (7lbs 9oz). I slept on it and ultimately decided not to send it back and save myself the stress of sitting on hold and arguing with customer service for half an hour to get a free set of strings or 10% off. The threat to send it back isn't there for me because I really don't want to. It sounds killer through the pro reverb.

I went to parkway and bought a gold anodized pickguard (it's like 3 ply metal/plastic/gold brushed, but it is metal on the top layer). They've had it forever for $20 and I never had the right guitar to put it on. Will need some slight modification for a perfect fit but it looks good (to me). Also when I was changing the pickguard, I noticed the neck pickup is routed for a humbucker - I can see myself wanting a filtertron in the neck at some point, we'll see.
Tele Baritone.jpg
Tele Baritone.jpg (366.75 KiB) Viewed 853 times
The nasty tuners
► Show Spoiler
NickD

Re: NGD: Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Post by NickD »

The pitting on the tuning keys isn't great for a brand new guitar, but it's a decent looking piece of wood at a decent weight which is more important in the long run.

I didn't know they did standard baritone Teles, I thought it was just the Cabronita Teles.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Very nice!

My CV strat had similar issues with what looked like oxidation on the metal parts (although not the frets or strings). It had a weird tarnishing on the back plate and maybe the bridge too. I think that's why it was so cheap.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It looks ace, some sunburst guitars just look right. It's annoying the way they shipped it to you. The person who tuned it, doesn't probably know one thing about baritones
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

That's the nicest looking brown guitar I've ever seen. For a brown guitar
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

rahbro wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:51 pm That's the nicest looking brown guitar I've ever seen. For a brown guitar
That’s pretty much my exact feelings about it as well :lol:

I almost ordered a B stock GFS body on Labor Day for it, but once I put the gold on it I changed my mind