SHORTSCALEGEARDEMO: Joyo American Sound

Post by rahbro »

plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
Pens
less dickface

Re: SHORTSCALEGEARDEMO: Joyo American Sound

Post by Pens »

Interesting. I've been looking to find a Boss Bassman pedal after a friend let me borrow one, and it sounds great, but they are over $200 now. This thing seems cheap to try out, to see if I can dial in the particular Bassman+Twin sound I want.

Basically, the BM voice into my Twin sounds fucking awesome, and I want that.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

These are great, unsurprisingly as they're clones of Sansamp pedals. I've had the 'AC TONE' Vox-alike for years and it still sounds great as a "direct to board" thing or just as a dirt pedal, how I use it currently.

The Voice control is a pre-gain mid shaping thing; fully clockwise results in waaaay more gain than you'd get out of these kinda amps, way fun.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of pedal to get to match my Sansamp Classic setting. Anyone know of a site that lists that sort of thing?

Also, Doog, do you know if this thing can do the Bassman voice?
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Given that it's 10+ year old analog technology at this point, I'm sure it won't hold many candle to modern modelling and IRs, but that control PLUS the 3 band EQ, I'm sure you could get in the ballpark; it really does reshape the tone to give a lot of options.

I'm sure you could pick one up for like 10-20 bucks, I'd say it's worth a go? I'm pretty sure Mike has one of these, maybe he'll show up.

Useful demo of the real thing here from Brett, really shows off the ranges:

The V2 has a switch to turn off the 'speaker sim', which is really just a preset EQ curve to closer emulate a real speaker; ain't no IR. Based on my experience, the Voxy AC one sounds great (if not actually better) into a real or emulated amp even with that hardwired 'speaker sim', stuff is a little more brittle going straight to board.

v2.jpeg
v2.jpeg (239.56 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Thanks doog. I got the Joyo wishlisted on Reverb so I don't forget about it, maybe at some point I'll manage to snag one.

This thread started me down a rabbit hole, to find out exactly what kind of "amp" I was modeling with my preferred Sansamp Classic settings, so now I am also looking at the "California" Joyo model. Though, now knowing that my SAC settings were basically a Mesa-style, I was able to dial this Palmer Pocket Amp MK2 in to get a close version of it I think, so maybe I won't need the Mesa pedal now. I didn't like this Palmer thing when I first got it, but it's started to grow on me now.

I still want to test out this "American Sound" thing tho, Bassman sound at the start of my chain into the Twin like that Boss pedal did was so goddamn cool.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Harley Benton pedals from Thomann are clones of the Joyo pedals.

http://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_ben ... uetone.htm
Personal pronouns he/him
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

There's loads made in the same place, just branded differently (different chasis on the HORSE, tho):
► Show Spoiler
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pens wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:12 amThough, now knowing that my SAC settings were basically a Mesa-style, I was able to dial this Palmer Pocket Amp MK2 in to get a close version of it I think, so maybe I won't need the Mesa pedal now. I didn't like this Palmer thing when I first got it, but it's started to grow on me now.
I had the Behringer equivalent of the Pocket Amp (both clones of the Sansamp GT2), definitely some decent sounds to be had, although the Voice and Mid controls on these 'Character' pedals makes a huge difference; the Marshall setting on that Behringer had such horrible upper mids it was unusable, honky as shiiiiit.

Pens wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:12 amThis thread started me down a rabbit hole, to find out exactly what kind of "amp" I was modeling with my preferred Sansamp Classic settings, so now I am also looking at the "California" Joyo model
I forgot about that one, weird that they've got 2 Fender-style simulators, though I guess they do sound pretty different.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Doog wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:54 am
Pens wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:12 amThis thread started me down a rabbit hole, to find out exactly what kind of "amp" I was modeling with my preferred Sansamp Classic settings, so now I am also looking at the "California" Joyo model
I forgot about that one, weird that they've got 2 Fender-style simulators, though I guess they do sound pretty different.
The Joyo California is a Mesa Boogie one (clone of Sansamp California). Although I think Mesa amps were based on Fenders anyway, weren't they?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I've got a bunch of the Joyo/Harley Benton ones but the manuals for the original Tech 21 versions have some suggested settings to (supposedly) get the sounds of the original amps. This manual covers the Blonde (Fender), British (Marshall), California (Mesa) and Liverpool (Vox): LANK

The suggested settings for the Oxford (Orange) one are here: LANK
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Ahhhh, makes a bit more sense.
NickS

Post by NickS »

I see the Caline box is no longer called "Central Station" and "American Sound". It's now called "The Americana".
http://www.bandlineuk.com/caline-effec ... s-21-c.asp
Personal pronouns he/him
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Is there one that has more of a Boise sound?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

BearBoy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:40 am I've got a bunch of the Joyo/Harley Benton ones but the manuals for the original Tech 21 versions have some suggested settings to (supposedly) get the sounds of the original amps. This manual covers the Blonde (Fender), British (Marshall), California (Mesa) and Liverpool (Vox): LANK

The suggested settings for the Oxford (Orange) one are here: LANK
Thanks for this. Based on the docs, there does seem to be a BM style setting on this, tho people have different interpretations of what the BM sound is, usually they mean the usual bleus wank sound. I like to set it for more of a noise rock Shellac/Jesus Lizard sound, which is possible on the Boss pedal.

For the Mesa one, I found a descriptor that listed the input settings on the SAC that determined the amp type, the "normal" switch is Mesa-style, which on the Palmer or GT2 is the "US" setting. That got me into the ballpark, the other switches I used were Low Drive and Bright Switch, so just cranking the Low and Highs got me fairly close to my SAC. I'm keeping the California Sound on my wishlist to snag at some point, but I think I can do some recording with this Palmer. The DI out is pretty useful.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Pens wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:48 pm Thanks for this. Based on the docs, there does seem to be a BM style setting on this, tho people have different interpretations of what the BM sound is, usually they mean the usual bleus wank sound. I like to set it for more of a noise rock Shellac/Jesus Lizard sound, which is possible on the Boss pedal.
The AC Tone is pretty damn good at this with the Character pulled back, can get pretty clangy and aggressive; i'll try and do a mad-quick demo when I'm back at the flat.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

JoYo's Bizarre Adventure :lol:

(I always called it JOY-o)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

In my opinion everyone should own a joyo /Harley Benton American sound

I have two

They really are that good. No speaker emulation but still just glorious as a straight to board or make it sound good in headphones kind of pedal. I do most of my playing or testing of pedals through one of these set to a lovely fender clean sound and then through Amy’s old Squier frontman solid state amp into headphones.

The amp on its own sounds fucking awful. The worst. Add the pedal and I would die for that sound. It’s the cats pyjamas and takes pedals beautiful

Oh and you can also get great overdrive sounds from the pedal too.

Tech21 know what they’re doing and you can get those smarts for cheap.

I’ve owned a few of the others and they are good but in my opinion this fella is the main man
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Doog wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:47 pm These are great, unsurprisingly as they're clones of Sansamp pedals. I've had the 'AC TONE' Vox-alike for years and it still sounds great as a "direct to board" thing or just as a dirt pedal, how I use it currently.

The Voice control is a pre-gain mid shaping thing; fully clockwise results in waaaay more gain than you'd get out of these kinda amps, way fun.
I use the ACBOX the same way - as Vox-voiced dirtbox into a Vox amp. It sounds exactly like my AC15HW does when cranked.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Mike wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:50 pm In my opinion everyone should own a joyo /Harley Benton American sound

I have two

They really are that good. No speaker emulation but still just glorious as a straight to board or make it sound good in headphones kind of pedal. I do most of my playing or testing of pedals through one of these set to a lovely fender clean sound and then through Amy’s old Squier frontman solid state amp into headphones.

The amp on its own sounds fucking awful. The worst. Add the pedal and I would die for that sound. It’s the cats pyjamas and takes pedals beautiful

Oh and you can also get great overdrive sounds from the pedal too.

Tech21 know what they’re doing and you can get those smarts for cheap.

I’ve owned a few of the others and they are good but in my opinion this fella is the main man
Huh. So, I have a Fender Mustang I amp, it does indeed match both a Bassman and a Twin sound in the modelling, however absolutely any pedal into it sounds like pure garbage. When I made that two-channel Rat pedal, I seriously thought I completely fucked up because it sounded so bad into it. I wonder if one of these Joyo's just before it would actually make that amp sound decent?

I spent a bit tonight fiddling with my SAC into the Palmer, when you set both of them to the "Fender" settings, they sound pretty damn clangy and aggressive. I think I really need one of these Joyo pedals now. Tomorrow I'm going to hit the music resale shop, and see if they have one.