fuckin super sonic volume knobs

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

rahbro

fuckin super sonic volume knobs

Post by rahbro »

plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Re: fuckin super sonic volume knobs

Post by theshadowofseattle »

Educated guess: when either knob is all the way off, it shorts the circuit and completely kills the signal. You see this on Gibson L@@K 4 knob dudes. However, that shouldn't matter if you have it switched to either pickup by itself.

Open it up and make sure that the wiring has the volume knob wired BETWEEN the pickup and the switch.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

theshadowofseattle wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:49 pm Educated guess: when either knob is all the way off, it shorts the circuit and completely kills the signal. You see this on Gibson L@@K 4 knob dudes. However, that shouldn't matter if you have it switched to either pickup by itself.

Open it up and make sure that the wiring has the volume knob wired BETWEEN the pickup and the switch.
Yeah I'm fairly certain this is the case. I recently looked up the SS wiring for a friend, and was a bit surprised that it was wired this way. It's basically a Gibson volume wiring setup.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Pens wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:16 pm
theshadowofseattle wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:49 pm Educated guess: when either knob is all the way off, it shorts the circuit and completely kills the signal. You see this on Gibson L@@K 4 knob dudes. However, that shouldn't matter if you have it switched to either pickup by itself.

Yeah I'm fairly certain this is the case. I recently looked up the SS wiring for a friend, and was a bit surprised that it was wired this way. It's basically a Gibson volume wiring setup.

That's how my old Vista one worked. You could have one on 10 and one on 0 to mute the guitar with the toggle. Can't do this with this guitar. The only way you can get it to shut up is have both pickups on 0 no matter position the toggle is on.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

If both knobs on 10 does the toggle change the sound at all? I’d guess a bad switch, common failure point.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I don't know, that guitar seems to be completely broken to me. It's probably even unsafe to play and hence you have to send it my way.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

rahbro wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:00 am
Pens wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:16 pm

That's how my old Vista one worked. You could have one on 10 and one on 0 to mute the guitar with the toggle. Can't do this with this guitar. The only way you can get it to shut up is have both pickups on 0 no matter position the toggle is on.
I'd need you to open it up and post pics of the wiring to the knobs and the switch to determine what is different on this thing. All I know is how the Vista was wired, I assumed these were the same.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

2 volumes and a 3 way switch is a great setup. My John 5 tele had it, and you don't even miss the tone control if you don't use treble bleeds on the vol pots.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

rahbro wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:00 am
Educated guess: when either knob is all the way off, it shorts the circuit and completely kills the signal. You see this on Gibson L@@K 4 knob dudes. However, that shouldn't matter if you have it switched to either pickup by itself.

Rob, any chance you (or someone else) could point me to a wiring diagram from a Vista Super Sonic? Recently bought one that has had a bridge pup change and the wiring change to Vol/Tone and I'd like to put it back to stock. Had a look online and couldn't seem to find one not from the paranormal ones. Cheers
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Just go to Seymour Duncan website and look up Vol/Vol HBHB 3way.

It's in there
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Broe. You basically just said "google it".

I haven't looked in a while, but here's what I found.

This is not my drawing.

http://geekversusguitar.blogspot.com/2 ... agram.html

This is basically what my Vista had.
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

Pens wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:46 pm Broe. You basically just said "google it".

I haven't looked in a while, but here's what I found.

This is not my drawing.

http://geekversusguitar.blogspot.com/20 ... agram.html

This is basically what my Vista had.

Fiiiiiine. This took me 23 seconds to pull up

Screenshot_20230125_214041_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230125_214041_Chrome.jpg (421.61 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
JordanD

Post by JordanD »

Sorry Rob, I thought the SS was slightly different than just 2 vol 2 hum. I heard the knobs and switch were all backwards, which made sense when I watched your video above.

@Pens Thanks
rahbro

Post by rahbro »

I mean you can make them backwards. Just screw them in the opposite pickguard holes.