OGD - Epiphone Emperor Regent

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

OGD - Epiphone Emperor Regent

Post by Bacchus »

When I was back home for Christmas, I picked this up from my parents' place.

I got this second hand when I was in my late teens and played loads of gigs with it. When I got it, I intended it to be my first foray into acoustic guitars (or acoustic adjacent), but I always played it pretty aggressively as a big, unwieldy electric paired with a Fender Champion 600 for heavy Tom Waitsy blues stuff.

It's in good shape, but was in bad need of a clean and set up, so I've spent a week or so tinkering with it, properly sanding the the bridge's base to fit the shape of the top of the guitar etc, getting everything right on it. Letting it settle a little now before tweaking intonation and truss rod, but it's playing very nicely already.

When I was taking it part, I was curious about what the pickup was. These are normally gold, so I always wondered if it had been replaced at some point. When I unscrewed the mounting bracket from the next, I noticed that the shaft of the screw was in fact gold. I think the previous owner had spray painted the pickup and done a decent job of it. They've also added a Fishman piezo bridge with a separate output, but I've never used that because I don't have a pre-amp and I'm not particularly interested.

It sounds great acoustic or plugged in. Acoustic it has nice note separation and a lovely, sweet singing voice that makes you want to keep playing simple lead lines on it. Plugged in it has a big, thick, fuggy, bassy sound that I love, but with a bit of rasp from the roundwounds that I've put on it. Very lively plugged in.

Plus, it's gorgeous.

I love this guitar.
20230115_165906.jpeg
20230115_165906.jpeg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 940 times
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Re: OGD - Epiphone Emperor Regent

Post by plopswagon »

Very nice
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Yeah v nice. Classy.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

That's a nice guitar, these hollow archtop Epiphones look really nice. Yours is probably MIK.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Yep, can't remember the actual date, but know that it's a Peerless factory MIK.

I seem to think it was made in 1997, but I haven't run the serial number in over a decade.

I got it in 2003ish. It seemed an old guitar then, strange to think that it was very much quite new.
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

20 years ago. When you bought it in 2003, 20 years ago was 1983.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

► Show Spoiler
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

Post by Gavin »

In 1993 I hated Led Zeppelin because they were ancient and shit. I now think Zeppelin peaked in 1973. I am old and the years are so so many. :cry:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Gavin wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 pm In 1993 I hated Mozart because he were ancient and shit. I now think Mozart peaked in 1790. I am old and the years are so so many. :cry:
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.