New Pedalboard lfg

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

New Pedalboard lfg

Post by Rhysyrhys »

So started to build a board out of the pedals I bought and I’m having great fun so I thought I’d share
Attachments
6A4A714B-3310-4CF7-AEBE-3AECC2E8D5B2.jpeg
6A4A714B-3310-4CF7-AEBE-3AECC2E8D5B2.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 1164 times
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Re: New Pedalboard lfg

Post by Rhysyrhys »

I lost my Big Muff. I had a really cool Big Muff that I bought off Benecol back in London that I treasured and it came all the way to LA with me and I can't find it :(. Even worse my Saltshaker + DLS Rhysdriver is missing too and I don't know how that could be. They were both my two favourite drive pedals and I was so excited about getting them out and on my board here... I've not given up hope but also its not very like me to not track something that sentimental to me...

At any rate, finally got my DD-200 and my HOG on a board together and the results are excellent fun. So far I'm certain that I'm going to run the Comp + Silver horse under the board to free up space and give me a hardpoint to plug a jack into by just supergluing (velcro squaring first) them upside down to the underside, such is my love for them both.

I lack a modulation pedal and as boring as it sounds I might go for a Boss MD-200 because the TRS midi switching game seems pretty fucking tight, and all I really want to add is a CE-1 clone (best chorus ever), a Phase 90 and a wah (which MD-200 has because you can foot control the autowah) BUT also have these things paired with my delay... I don't have a band or even songs, I just have sounds in my head that always are some sort of SPACE + MOD things, and so I feel that might be an interesting route...
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Also massive shoutout to which ever britbong I bought the Dano Chicken Salad from, with the mod thing. That pedal flew 5000mi with me and now lives in LA :)
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

That was also me. Shame on you for losing that muff.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

shameless footpic for engagement, smdh

The HOG2 rules, I kinda miss my one but it's such a whopping footprint:how-often-it's-used ratio, had to let it fly.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

TL;DR: Dump with no photos, will follow with photos.

Updates:

1) I velcro'd pedals to the board. I bought a two row 'board but have used embarrassingly little space thanks to micro pedals.

2) I bought a Mooer E-Lady, but alas I flew a bit too close to micro pedal sun. It's a bit gash sounding overall, too plastic-y and effected (yes I know it's a flanger) but I feel like the EHX Electric Mistress' I've owned have a more tape-y feel to the flange and the frozen waveform mode was a lot more natural sounding and useable. The E-lady feels like it needs a blend knob, never felt like that with the original/RI/Smallbox ones I've owned of the Real McCoy.

3) My E-Lady died, so I returned it for sweet, sweet cash. Literally had it plugged into a correctly rated 9v 300mA power supply, was messing around with it, unplugged it and left it on top of my amp then came back the next morning, plugged it in and it was dead as a doornail. Not a huge loss, but I would've kept it around for some fun.

4) I got a GFI Systems Synthesia after much deliberation. Paypal does that thing where you can "Pay in 4" chunks which is fucking kryptonite to my decision making skills because in the USA you get paid every 2 weeks, andddd "Pay in 4" wants money out of you.... yep every 2 weeks, so I basically paid 110 bucks per paycheck for the next 2 months to "finish off my board" (we'll see how done I actually am).

5) The HOG2 is getting benched, for aforementioned space reasons and also because it's just not that useful. The Synthesia has a capable octaver on it and foot pedal/tap tempo etc.

6) The rest of my board space will be for the amp's channel/reverb switcher pedal, a fuzz pedal, tap tempo external for either the DD-200 or Synthesia and an expression pedal, for wah and volume.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

totally hearing you on the risk vs. reward on space saving through micro pedals. in some instances (like the Tender Octaver or my JHS Foot Fuzz), it's so worth it to get nearly identical performance for half or less the real estate. the Donner compressor i have is just meh at best. i do find it's enabled my board to look like a hoarder's dream, though, albeit more nicely arranged and presented.

OH! btw, HOTONE's lush flanger is ultra tiny but so good. they discontinued them (and i think all of their pedals) but worth it if you can snipe them on ebay or reverb. if i knew an equivalent, i'd recommend it.

i wish you wouldn't have endorsed PayPal's pay-in-4 bit as my willpower may not sustain knowing that...
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Yeah it's really nasty because 0% interest. So you pay the same, just spread out... doesn't count as credit, they don't do a pull (soft/hard) of any sort.

It was how I purchased the DD-200 which was 250ish and just barely felt like I spent money cos they took 70 and it turned up Fedex'd two days later. Dangerous lubricant..
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Also Dots: I highly recommend the Mooer yellow comp, Thom turned me on to it and I'm a big fan. I'll probably get an expensive one to A/B against it but I really can't fault it as far as bang for buck goes.

I have it with the big comp knob around 10-11 o'clock and the volume all the way up around 2-3 o'clock so it cooks my amp a bit, I might even take the Silver Horse off because the clean boost it gives alone is very pleasant.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Progress pic!
IMG_4107.jpeg
IMG_4107.jpeg (853.36 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Sorry for the massive photo.

I think once I get the Synesthesia I might take the Flamma mini delay off the board, but it's also not terrible and I have cabling and real estate for it. At the moment I have it pretty quiet and always on, fattening things up a little bit.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i dig those pedal connections. short, to the point. 8)
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The B-Box preamp is great! I did a 4 month run of shows relying on that and a MM Silver running through a Joyo American sound and was pretty happy with how they sounded. Looks like you've got a fun setup to play on!
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Rhysyrhys wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:40 am Yeah it's really nasty because 0% interest. So you pay the same, just spread out... doesn't count as credit, they don't do a pull (soft/hard) of any sort.

It was how I purchased the DD-200 which was 250ish and just barely felt like I spent money cos they took 70 and it turned up Fedex'd two days later. Dangerous lubricant..
I'm sure y'all don't wanna hear this, but if it's something that Sweetwater carries, getting a credit card with them gets REALLLLLLLLY fucking scary, as many things there are like 48 months no interest. Just set the monthly autopay to pay it off before then, and it's basically free loans... I got a bundle of stuff during pre-black-friday sales like an audio interface, a midi drum kit, etc and despite racking up hundreds it's only costing me a few bucks a month.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Definitely some mad deals out there as far as credit goes. I also deeeefinitely need to stop spending money on this stuff... even if I am playing a lot of guitar lately again which is nice. Not just because of the gear but cos I'm genuinely finding it good for my mental health to pick goals and head towards them on the instrument, my legato is coming along nicely and that gives me the warm fuzzies etc.

SO

1) The Donner DP-Z power supply shits the bed when I have the DD-200, GFI Syn, Golden Horse, BB-Box, Silver Horse and Yellow Comp all plugged in at the same time and then I plug the power in. If I unplug any of the two larger pedals it will power up and then the capacitors in it must have enough charge because I can plug the DD-200 back in and everything will work. Really not ideal so I'm going to see if I can return it even though I've had it for a while. It does say that it's 2000mAh and the GFI, DD-200 both say they require 300mAh with each of the disto's accepting the 80mAh ports no problemo... so I don't think I'm anywhere near those sorts of numbers??? I don't know shit about electronics really so who knows, maybe one of you guys could say?

2) I found a Source Audio Collider locally for similar price to what I paid for the DD-200 and so I think I'm going to switch to that because I lack a reverb other than the fairly modest one on the amp. Sale thrad incoming, got some pedals/guitar I'm not using :)

3) I've got a midi foot controller that I've had for donkeys years knocking around and the GFI Syn and Collider both do midi, I'm starting to think my pedal board might end up being those two pedals stuck on top of my amp in the effects loop, then the pedalboard just being comp/clean boost and a drive and the midi footswitch. There seems to be some fancy shit out there where it sends MIDI CC but also has loops built in, Boss ES series and the ilk but I'm still a bedroom guitarist (might have some gigs soon wahoo) so crisp switch and shit doesn't really matter whatever I tell myself lol. I'm also well aware that I have a Line6 Helix that I could've just used to replace both of these and run it as an effects box instead of a modeler, but the objective here was never to be conservative, I wanted to mess with single effects and tubes again and I've got my wish.

Also I've not made the OMEGA RIG yet where I stereo out to my FRFR speaker and PRS amp from the Helix with the stereo pedals in a stereo loop (you can send/return on both loops then put each return on L/R respectively), then gain pedals in front and whatever models I need. I might try that this week, completely unnecessary but possibly amazing.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I’ve had a similar thing with power supply, and the issue is that whilst it says it does, the Donner doesn’t have truly isolated outputs. Digital pedals that need a bigish amount of juice don’t like being Daisy-chained which is what is happening in effect. I think you’ll have the same issue with the Collider. You can either get them their own single power adaptor or splurge for a more expensive supply like a Strymon, Voodoo Labs or CIOKS, or something like that.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

So after much fucking around this is the current state of my board:

Sonic Research Strobo tuner -> Empress comp -> BB Preamp (still love this thing) -> Fuzz -> Golden Horse Klon copy -> GFI Systems Synthesia -> Source Audio Collider -> front of amp

I've decided to sell my Helix LT, the GFI and Collider and just get a HX Stomp, I kinda miss the Helix with this board but I don't want to go back to having such a big footprint - and the GFI and Collider sound absolutely fabulous but its a lot of work to get it all MIDI'd up and its still then not as flexible as the HX Stomp XL, which I can find for 600 bucks, a fraction of what these will all sell for. Been a fun little excursion tho.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Wished I’d kept hold of my danelectro chicken salad, they are a photocell vibe that sound great for the money/size. They go for silly money now, same with it’s bigger cool cat version.

I’ve not had a pedal board setup for years and miss playing around with sounds/tones. I picked up a line 6 M5 for £35 and I’m gonna try and setup a board with that at the end for my Leslie speaker and odd random effect fix.

Would like a couple of nice pedals but stuck for ideas.
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST