Fender Bronco History

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

taylornutt

Fender Bronco History

Post by taylornutt »

I am a proud owner of a 1971 Fender Bronco and I love the guitar.

After looking through some Vintage Broncos on Reverb, I kinda wanted to learn more about the history of the Fender Bronco.

There are definitely different areas of Broncos with different hardware, colors, etc.

Does anyone know any good online resources for Fender Bronco guitars?

I found some websites on Mustangs, Duo Sonics and Musicmasters but not much on the Bronco.
J Mascis Jazzmaster | AVRI Jaguar | Tuxedo-stang |Fender Toronado GT |
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
rahbro

Re: Fender Bronco History

Post by rahbro »

start with finding PDF's of the old fender catalogs
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

rahbro wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:36 pm start with finding PDF's of the old fender catalogs
That's great idea.

Catalogs and advertisements would a great source.

This website has lots of vintage catalogs

http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/fender/catalogues

Here is Bronco Page
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/fender/Bronco.php

Fender Catalogs (including Japanese)
http://guitar-compare.com/catalogs/fender-catalogs/

Fender and Gibson Catalogs
http://vintageguitarhaven.com/images/c ... index.html

1967 Fender Catalog
http://vintageguitarhaven.com/images/c ... s/f76.html
Last edited by taylornutt on Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Squier FSR Sparkle Jaguar | Squier CV Mustang |1971 Fender Bronco| Baja Telecaster |
NickS

Post by NickS »

Those are fascinating.
Personal pronouns he/him
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Lots of interesting information so far.

1970's catalogs are not as consistent to find. I have not found early 70s catalogs (1971 and 1973-75) or late 70s( 1978 - 1980.

Apparently, Fender Broncos were paired with amps for 1967 - 1975. I don't know if they were other finish options beside red during that timeframe. Some of the Bronco Amps in 1969 had large Jaguar knobs instead of the Black Witch hat knobs.

I know they came in other colors started in showing up in 1976 (black and Vintage White with black pickguards and Strat knobs)

I also didn't realize that Japan also had Broncos.

This one from the 1977 Catalog in all White with black Witch hat knobs looks fantastic. 1979 Japanese models were all black.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

picking up a bronco is still a bucket list item for me. i've given up on the idea of building one as buying the intact bridges separately is almost impossible at this point. i do have legit bronco knobs, though.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

dots wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:55 pm picking up a bronco is still a bucket list item for me. i've given up on the idea of building one as buying the intact bridges separately is almost impossible at this point. i do have legit bronco knobs, though.
I have about 90% of a Bronco Bridge. I have been really lucky to piece it together. I wish Fender would reissue it already and maybe upgrade the saddles.

It's my favorite vibrato unit.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

you're not the first i've heard say the bronco bridge is their favorite, and it's a shame with bona fides like that and the popularity of the guitar antiquity won't prompt fender to do a proper reissue. since it only ever landed on one model of guitar the molds, templates, and forges may have been lost once they discontinued it.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

dots wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm you're not the first i've heard say the bronco bridge is their favorite, and it's a shame with bona fides like that and the popularity of the guitar antiquity won't prompt fender to do a proper reissue. since it only ever landed on one model of guitar the molds, templates, and forges may have been lost once they discontinued it.
This guitar was the original Squier Strat pack except it was made by Fender with an amazing amp.

When you see how many Mustang variants they currently make, it's hard to believe they couldn't have a line of Bronco guitars. The body route is super simple and the vibrato is not that complicated in terms of parts. They could do a Vintera vintage spec model and a two pickup option.

This was one of Leo's last designs and I think it's so extremely underrated.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

taylornutt wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:24 pmI also didn't realize that Japan also had Broncos.

This one from the 1977 Catalog in all White with black Witch hat knobs looks fantastic. 1979 Japanese models were all black.
I don't think they were made in Japan back then, but for the Japanese market.

Kind of like the 84 Mustang on this site:
http://www.fendermustangstory.com/
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

Fakir Mustache wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:33 am
taylornutt wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:24 pmI also didn't realize that Japan also had Broncos.

I don't think they were made in Japan back then, but for the Japanese market.

Kind of like the 84 Mustang on this site:
http://www.fendermustangstory.com/
I agreed they were most likely made in USA and exported to Japan. The all white is absolutely gorgeous.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

taylornutt wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:18 pm
dots wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:46 pm you're not the first i've heard say the bronco bridge is their favorite, and it's a shame with bona fides like that and the popularity of the guitar antiquity won't prompt fender to do a proper reissue. since it only ever landed on one model of guitar the molds, templates, and forges may have been lost once they discontinued it.
This guitar was the original Squier Strat pack except it was made by Fender with an amazing amp.

When you see how many Mustang variants they currently make, it's hard to believe they couldn't have a line of Bronco guitars. The body route is super simple and the vibrato is not that complicated in terms of parts. They could do a Vintera vintage spec model and a two pickup option.

This was one of Leo's last designs and I think it's so extremely underrated.

squier has the bronco bass, and i have to admit (miley has one), they're pretty good at the $200ish price point.
finboy

Post by finboy »

I have a bronco amp and my buddy has a bronco guitar, every couple years we keep trying to haggle from each other to make a great set. Pat from offset has a beautiful one with a widerange humbucker, it’s amazing.
taylornutt

Post by taylornutt »

finboy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:57 pm I have a bronco amp and my buddy has a bronco guitar, every couple years we keep trying to haggle from each other to make a great set. Pat from offset has a beautiful one with a widerange humbucker, it’s amazing.
You gotta finish the set. I have vintage Vibro Champ which is the same amp but lacks the cool red "Bronco" letters.
finboy

Post by finboy »

Some day maybe, it’s my go to amp as I don’t hate my neighbours

rahbro

Post by rahbro »

taylornutt wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:56 am
finboy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 9:57 pm I have a bronco amp and my buddy has a bronco guitar, every couple years we keep trying to haggle from each other to make a great set. Pat from offset has a beautiful one with a widerange humbucker, it’s amazing.
You gotta finish the set. I have vintage Vibro Champ which is the same amp but lacks the cool red "Bronco" letters.
Pat from offset isn't pat from offset. He is Pat from Shortscale.
plopswagon wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:55 am
I laid a pallet of sod yesterday
finboy

Post by finboy »

Fair play
goldengurls

Post by goldengurls »

rahbro wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:47 pm
Yeah I dunno about that.
mustang afflicted duo sonic II junkie.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

goldengurls wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:19 pm

Yeah I dunno about that.
((front))
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

Dude I come here.whwn I'm drunk and find this and almost cry

❤️
my name is Pat.