NGD: SubZero Rogue VI

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Dillon

NGD: SubZero Rogue VI

Post by Dillon »

Do I want a Bass VI?  I dunno, not sure I'd get along with the large body, pickup switches and Jag trem.  Do I want to try a 30" scale hambaker offset for cheaper than the cheapest Bass VI?  Absolutely. 

tl;dr: This thing is impressive for the money, but if you're interested in getting one, be aware it has its caveats. It's heavy, the neck is extra chonky, and the string spacing is a bit narrow. Because of the reverse headstock and string through body, most baritone strings aren't long enough for the top two, so you'll either want to go with Bass VI strings, or cannibalize a Bass VI set to get the extra long .056 and .072 strings. Also, if it's like mine, it'll have a handful of quality issues you'll want to sort out before it can be a real player. Classic case of "you get what you pay for", but I knew that going in and sure had fun making it "mine".

---------------------

I actually had been eyeing these for a while, but with Gear4Music being a UK-based company, didn't want to spend the money on importing a £250 guitar of unknown quality.  Apparently someone local to me did, though, so I scooped this up for cheap.  The guy plasti dipped the pickguard, which doesn't look awful, but it is coming off near the neck pickup and on the edges, so I'll do something different eventually.  As I got it:
► Show Spoiler
It had Bass VI gauge strings on it (28-84) and was tuned A to A.  But it it sure wasn't set up for that.  Action way too high at the upper frets, even though the bridge was as low as it would go.  Tuning it down further to see if the relieved tension would help, the thing was even worse.  Practically unplayable.  The fret ends were a bit sharp, too, so I decided to give it a full workover.  

The price point to quality ratio shows in certain areas. Their website claims the fretboard is "oiled laurel", but I suspect it's some lighter wood, as what looked like dye could be seen on the binding. (Or maybe somebody used Sharpie in spots? I dunno.)

The inlays aren't very well fitted, and green glue had seeped out of the edges.  It cleaned up OK though (last picture).  The binding isn't Gibson-style, the frets go through it with the ends exposed, so fixing that was the same as if it had no binding.
► Show Spoiler
I intend to use it as a baritone more than a bass, so I also decided to try the spare set of 14-70s it came with and keep it in A.  Surprise!  Those were nowhere near long enough for a 30" scale string through body. 
► Show Spoiler
I bought a bunch of different baritone sets and finally found that D'Addario makes one that works.  Sorta. On the two lowest strings, the wrap ends not long after the nut. Both snapped at the tuner after having to detune and retune many times during setup. I ended up replacing them with the 4th and 5th string from a Bass Vi set, which do work just fine. And speaking of setup...it's never taken me so long. So much trial and error.

I first shimmed the neck pocket, thinking it'd lower the action in higher frets and allow me to raise the bridge. Sure, it did, but then it actually WAS unplayable due to the strings hitting the first few frets. No amount of truss rod adjustment could fix that. The nut is cut WAY too deep on the bass side. I had no replacement that'd work...it's got Fender string spacing, I think? But being a slanted headstock, it's not a Fender-style nut, in that it doesn't go in a slot. It sits on the headstock and butts up to the fretboard. So I took it off and shimmed it. Then I had to shim the neck pocket even more, and adjust the truss rod again.

The price also shows in how it sounds plugged in.  The factory pickups just don't work well for tunings that low.  No clarity, especially with gain.  So I swapped in a set of GFS Fat Pats I've had laying around. Decided to give it a bit of a makeover to match. Haven't decided if I want to keep the amber top hat knobs or go with black witch hats.

Finished product (for now). Whenever I do something about the pickguard I might change things up. The Fat Pats are definitely an improvement, but IMO still not ideal for this tuning. If anyone has suggestions on humbuckers that work well for B or lower tuning, I'm all ears. All eyes?

Last edited by Dillon on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MattK

Re: NGD: SubZero Rogue VI

Post by MattK »

Wow - that is fantastic work on the neck. End result looks great! I’d be interested to see a white or off-white pickguard on it.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nice work indeed - looks great - I like the look of the burst and how the outer color bleeds into the center with some of the grain.
MattK

Post by MattK »

That burst and body finish really is beautiful, I wish I could buy these in Australia just for that.