Sans drummer help

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Progrockabuse

Re: Sans drummer help

Post by Progrockabuse »

Reminds me when they used to credit drum machines on 80’s albums.

Like A.Linn (pronouns unknown/unplugged) on Rick Astley’ debut album and most of whatever dross Stock, Atkin and waterman ejaculated into the pop world.
Attachments
IMG_1120.jpeg
IMG_1120.jpeg (629.02 KiB) Viewed 757 times
Fender Classic Player 60’s Stratocaster>East Coast T1 Tele>
Epiphone Les Paul SL>Ovation 12 String acoustic>Peavey Strat DIY Relic

Marshall Origin 20H>James’s old purple 2x10
Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

aen wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:37 am It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to hook up 2 pair of headphones to the MPC... but it would hinder your movement :(

I'm in a similar boat, though we use an Octatrack and a Drumbrute. Luckily my partner in that band has a PA system cobbled together, so if he's not doing sound at the gig already we can supplement equipment if needed.
Hm, I wonder, how bad an idea is it to combine cheap bluetooth dongles and cheap bluetooth earbuds to make a cheap in ear monitoring setup????

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165016536395 ... SwjbpfW3H8
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Bluetooth would have too much latency, I imagine.

Our drummer has a headphone click to keep in sync with our programmed synths/loops/samples/whatever, and that works nicely for us, but if the drummer is the robot element then it's tough to know who would benefit most from wearing headphones. And you don't really want everyone wearing headphones, it's a vibekiller.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:23 pm Out of interest I am going to try plugging my behringer sansamp pedal into it to see how it sounds with guitar. But not expecting much.
I mean, if it's got speaker simulation on it, it's designed to go a flat frequency, PA kinda situation; keyboard amps aren't really anything but a wee little PA
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Freddy V-C wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:57 am Bluetooth would have too much latency, I imagine.
Freddy, that's easy! You simply put the guitars through and vocals cheap bluetooth interface and probably that fixes everything.
Last edited by Bacchus on Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:25 am
Hurb wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:23 pm Out of interest I am going to try plugging my behringer sansamp pedal into it to see how it sounds with guitar. But not expecting much.
I mean, if it's got speaker simulation on it, it's designed to go a flat frequency, PA kinda situation; keyboard amps aren't really anything but a wee little PA
I actually just plugged straight in today and quite liked the sound with the gain pull pot on.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Tom Verlaine was a big user of PA systems for a lot of his later guitar sounds, so similar principle would apply here.

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

So tried out the Peavey and it's still too bass heavy even with the bass turned right down and the treble turned up. It just didn't improve things.

However the practice space had this little wedge that worked much better and had the top end we needed to hear the snare. So we are going to try and do a swap with our practice space.

best free image uploading site
Going to use it at our next gig on Friday.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Good shout, I've thought about going down this route as a guitar amp for ages; really just need a MAKE LOUD BOX with a decent EQ and not back-breakingly hefty.

Hurb wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:59 pm I actually just plugged straight in today and quite liked the sound with the gain pull pot on.
People really sleep on solid state distortion; got some fucking gnarly sounds from random cheapo amps over the years - I thought the distortion on the Jazz Chorus was actually sick as fuck, the tube snobs always keep on keeping it down tho
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Given how good digital is these days, a big analogue amp is getting harder to justify, and guitarists probably would benefit from just having a "make loud box" like you say.

But we won't go for that, because we're all children. So I reckon you're going to see more things that are basically PA enclosures or PA amps but with a guitarist friendly aesthetic.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I might just get one of those Marshall half-stack fridges and put a Line6 Spider inside it

maybe a real spider as well
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

You’ll have to install a waterspout as well.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Progrockabuse

Post by Progrockabuse »

Bacchus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:07 pm Given how good digital is these days, a big analogue amp is getting harder to justify, and guitarists probably would benefit from just having a "make loud box" like you say.

But we won't go for that, because we're all children. So I reckon you're going to see more things that are basically PA enclosures or PA amps but with a guitarist friendly aesthetic.
There was a company called atomic that essentially made guitar amp looking combos but designed to work with modellers etc

Marshall MG10 Combo

1 time host of PROGFEST
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

We toured with a band that the bass player didn’t have an amp, he just ran direct and had GIANT monitors.
► Show Spoiler
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:07 pm Given how good digital is these days, a big analogue amp is getting harder to justify, and guitarists probably would benefit from just having a "make loud box" like you say.

At the jam on Sunday the primary guitar rig was an active speaker fronted by a laptop, a USB interface and some MIDI foot pedals (which had some kind of scribble strip display that didn't display anything useful). I can't say I took to it; in fact I switched to using the bridge pickup to try to get a different tone and more gain.
Personal pronouns he/him