Guitar Through Bass Amp

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

FireAarro

Post by FireAarro »

Guitar -> Bass amp won't blow anything but will usually sound shit. I know it does through my bass amps.

Bass -> guitar amps can blow speakers if you use it at high enough volumes, so it's not recommended. We blew a behringer amp's speaker at school once playing a microkorg synth through it for a few hours. It wasn't really really loud or anything either, we're just badass.
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

Guitar played through a vintage tube Fender Bassman actually sounds quite nice.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

Chico Malo wrote:Guitar played through a vintage tube Fender Bassman actually sounds quite nice.
The origins of the Marshall amplifier I believe.
euan
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

practiceing i normally set a bass groove with my ps-5 looped on my akai..and then play over it.

surley you cant break the speaker this way? but acording to whats been said the bass notes will.

this sucks!
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

I'm not sure the ps5 would be able to make a strong enough fundamental with the lower harmonics to do any damage. I could be wrong though.
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I think bob is right.

Plus you're not playing at high volume are you Hurb? I.e. close to the speaker's max output.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:I think bob is right.

Plus you're not playing at high volume are you Hurb? I.e. close to the speaker's max output.
no not at all..iam sorta talking future refrence really
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i've been rockin the bassman 100 for guitars for a few shows now (and on our new record). it's a great combo, though a bit dark. you can easily compensate by using the bright switch OR do what i do and use a jaguar. 8)
luke

Post by luke »

dots wrote:i've been rockin the bassman 100 for guitars for a few shows now (and on our new record). it's a great combo, though a bit dark. you can easily compensate by using the bright switch OR do what i do and use a jaguar. 8)
Yeah, I was just thinking that you could compensate the low end of a bass amp by using an extra trebly guitar output. That makes sense, you can control that tone with your tone knobs without having to worry about the EQ. :D
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

yeah, they seem to be pretty much made for each other. on the marshall, i had to use the eq on the gt6 to add a shit-ton of bass just so the jag would sound normal.
Chico Malo
Sushi Monster

Post by Chico Malo »

yeah, your set up sounded stellar at the last gig we played at o'connells.
If you need a shitty friend, I'm here for you.
FireAarro

Post by FireAarro »

Chico Malo wrote:Guitar played through a vintage tube Fender Bassman actually sounds quite nice.
True, but..

1. Modern bass amps are pretty different than 50s Fender designs
2. Does anyone actually use a vintage Fender Bassman as a bass amp?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

FireAarro wrote:2. Does anyone actually use a vintage Fender Bassman as a bass amp?
Yes.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
a.aaron

Post by a.aaron »

the tweed bassmans don't sound too great as bass amps. the 60's & later ones with the "normal" Fender styling sond c?l.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

my main guitar amp is a 1973 Marshall Super Bass, the bass amp version of the super lead. it sounds fantabulously thick and rich with guitar and is not that far off from a bassman.

the marshall jtm 45 (marshall's first amp) was pretty much a fender bassman, because jim marshall doesn't actually know anything about electronics. an 18 year old dude called dudley craven designed all the classic marshall amps, jim just designed the cabinets and stuff.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
blackmarker

Post by blackmarker »

Mike wrote:What is this hybrid amp anyway?
Most of what Vox makes today are hybrids, some Marshalls...there are others but names escape me. They are just solid state amps with a pre amp tube.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

And generally not even a totally tube preamp, there's normally one tube plopped in the solidstate preamp.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
blackmarker

Post by blackmarker »

Doog wrote:And generally not even a totally tube preamp, there's normally one tube plopped in the solidstate preamp.
Yeah. The tube doesn't really seem to do much. I had a Vox Cambridge 30 and it was very solid state. Cleans were amazing, but the dirty channel on those things blow. I dumped it and bought my Crate Vintage Club 20. There is no sense in having a two channel amp if only one is usable. :D
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

blackmarker wrote:
Mike wrote:What is this hybrid amp anyway?
Most of what Vox makes today are hybrids, some Marshalls...there are others but names escape me. They are just solid state amps with a pre amp tube.
I was talking about Hybrid BASS amps.

And way to state the obvious, I know all about hybrid amplification - check out the wiki page I wrote the lions' share of:
http://www.shortscale.org/wiki/index.ph ... s_and_Amps

But that's bollocks - "Most of what Vox makes is Hybrid?" They have two hybrid lines but their flagship stuff is still the AC30CC and AC15CC combos and heads.