This is slightly distressing

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

inscho wrote:how'd you like that df-2?
DF-2 is unimpressive. Yes, I know you weren't talking to me but I have one also.

The pots need replacing in mine, but the parts are impossible to find. I cannot find pots that small anywhere. Plus there si some component lead that has come off the board or something and it is somewhat intermittent for me. I'm thinking of just gutting it and building something custom in the case now.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
inscho

Post by inscho »

PenPen wrote:
inscho wrote:how'd you like that df-2?
DF-2 is unimpressive. Yes, I know you weren't talking to me but I have one also.

The pots need replacing in mine, but the parts are impossible to find. I cannot find pots that small anywhere. Plus there si some component lead that has come off the board or something and it is somewhat intermittent for me. I'm thinking of just gutting it and building something custom in the case now.

soundwise, isn't it essentially a ds-1 with the "feedback" function added? I bought one the other day for pretty cheap to flip on ebay...just wanted to know if it was worth a damn.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It didn't sound like a DS-1 distortion to me - I'd be interested to see the schematic - are you sure it is identical, Chris?

Personally it wasn't for me, the feedbacker function is a little limited - just a monophonic synth with an overtone harmonic, nice if you're into droning and stuff but pretty unuseable. Conversely I thought the distortion sounded great - rich and harmonic with a good tonal balance. I've never had that reaction to a DS-1 - could be a Placebo effect though?

Ice, that EQ is very expensive. I like the GE-7 fine but if I was to buy an equalizer again I would buy a Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips, very cheap and basically the same circuit as the Boss but with added noise filtering caps so that when you boost the mid and high frequencies you get less added hiss.

In other news I cut 6" off my 6100 footswitch and unfortunately there still wasn't continuity between the 6 core wires and the 6 pins on the DIN connector. Looks like it has met it's end on several points in the 20ft wire - I cut it in half a few times to find a good section and found a few dead sections - for now I have a frankenstein version of two pieces but I'm thinking of adding a DIN socket to the footswitch and getting a couple of DIN jacks and some 6-core cable and made a DIN->DIN cable, this way I should minimise the amount of soldering that has to be done to the PCB to save the solder pads.
inscho

Post by inscho »

Mike wrote:It didn't sound like a DS-1 distortion to me - I'd be interested to see the schematic - are you sure it is identical, Chris?

Personally it wasn't for me, the feedbacker function is a little limited - just a monophonic synth with an overtone harmonic, nice if you're into droning and stuff but pretty unuseable. Conversely I thought the distortion sounded great - rich and harmonic with a good tonal balance. I've never had that reaction to a DS-1 - could be a Placebo effect though?
hmmm....I look forward to trying it out :)
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

It's definitely quite fun - it's a goofy pedal.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

I have the schems lying around. If you trace through the actual distortion sections of both IIRC they are nearly if not identical. I'll upload and post links in a sec.

BTW, that Backbeat Band album I was supposed to upload, well I ripped it long ago into ogg, so you'd have a tough time playing it. I'm looking for the CD to do an mp3 rip, I think it is in a box in the garage somewhere.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Service Manual schem for DS-1:
http://shortscale.org/uploader/accts/35/DS1PG2.jpg

Stripped down DF-2 distortion section:
http://shortscale.org/uploader/accts/35/DF2Mod.gif

I have the service manual schem for the DF2, but it is PDF and I can't upload it. I'm taking a screenshot of that to upload, one sec.

EDIT:

DF-2 Service manual:
http://shortscale.org/uploader/accts/35/DF-2_manual.JPG
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Thanks Chris,

I'll have a gander when I some time!
inscho

Post by inscho »

so I just got the df-2 in along with a fz-3

its definitely ds-1'ish...although it seems to be more usable than the taiwan ds-1s I've owned....I really like the feedback function.

the fz-3 is a like the bastard child of tone A and tone B from a roland beebaa... it has the upper octave thing like the fz-2 but is a lot smoother and a more pleasant nastiness than the fz-2....very cool especially for around $50. I'd probably put this on my board if I didn't have the big cheese.