fiberglass jazzmaster project

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

does this sound like a cool idea

no
35%
yes
65%

Total votes: 17
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Hurb wrote:awesome idea! its one thats been floating around in my head for ages actually. i want to make guitars out of anything other than wood. but i have no idea how i would get other materials to work.

keep us updated.
Were'nt Lindert guitars made out of MDF and Fibreglass?

marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

ElCapitan wrote:Daphne w/ tort would look good. What happened to the Jazzmaster Pickups?
I'm still deciding on a lot of things. It's still in the planning stage ;)

I have too many options, I hate it when that happens.

I might do j-master pickups. I don't know
barclay rocket (es-335) in tobacco burst or "big red" - a teisco wg-4l in bright orange (don't ask me)-> mesa boogie nomad 100 -> jcm 900 1960A lead 4x12 cab with stock celestion gh12-75's

soon: a NYC RI muff fuzz
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Fran wrote:
Hurb wrote:awesome idea! its one thats been floating around in my head for ages actually. i want to make guitars out of anything other than wood. but i have no idea how i would get other materials to work.

keep us updated.
Were'nt Lindert guitars made out of MDF and Fibreglass?

pass. ive never heard of them. my wanting to not use wood for future projects is mainly from a conservation stand point. not wanting to contribute to the cutting down of trees and all that jive.
Tex-czech

Post by Tex-czech »

No trees? That sound like a libral hungin hippy to me! :lol:
Just playin I think thats a great idea, you really gotta think about how much wood is use for guitars and the natural resorce isn't being replenished.

Did you get the idea from airline guitars? Thing is tort shell pickguard you have on the "blueprints" is a beautiful pattern and is hard to find. I see vintage jazzys with those and rarely any american reissues. not mine, though a have a 66 jazzy guard with the pattern and it's shrunk to shit. I think tortise pickguard look great on lots of things but varies much so cause of the pattern and slight color change on each one, or "batch" made.
-Joe
SickenedEmotions99

Re: fiberglass jazzmaster project

Post by SickenedEmotions99 »

marc.yo wrote:Image
Not a huge fan of the Fiberglass idea, sounds kinda weird to me, but thats a sweet looking Jazzmaster. Do it.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Aye, do it, even if it's just so everyone knows not to try it again.
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

BacchusPaul wrote:Aye, do it, even if it's just so everyone knows not to try it again.
Encouraging....but not really. I guess that's a good reason :lol:
barclay rocket (es-335) in tobacco burst or "big red" - a teisco wg-4l in bright orange (don't ask me)-> mesa boogie nomad 100 -> jcm 900 1960A lead 4x12 cab with stock celestion gh12-75's

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

marc.yo wrote:
BacchusPaul wrote:Aye, do it, even if it's just so everyone knows not to try it again.
Encouraging....but not really. I guess that's a good reason :lol:
I think it could well turn out great, and I hope it does. It might not be something as universally appealling as a normal wooden jazzy, but who wants to be normal. I reckon you should do it, just for the sake of having a cool guitar with sounds and style that you can't get anywhere else. I think that makes it worthwhile. I've actually been working on a project on and off for about the last year or so. The plan is to end up with a strung through body strat, with an ebony archtop bridge, and a lefty neck I picked up at some point. I plan on having a phat-cat in the bridge, and two jaguar pickup in the other positions. I don't know how good it will end up sounding, but I can't wait till it's finished, just to have such a strange guitar.

Sorry if I came off a bit cynical, I say go with the brief as stated earlier. It's cool and different, but still normal enough looking that people will be able to dig it.
marc.yo

Post by marc.yo »

BacchusPaul wrote:I think it could well turn out great, and I hope it does. It might not be something as universally appealling as a normal wooden jazzy, but who wants to be normal. I reckon you should do it, just for the sake of having a cool guitar with sounds and style that you can't get anywhere else. I think that makes it worthwhile. I've actually been working on a project on and off for about the last year or so. The plan is to end up with a strung through body strat, with an ebony archtop bridge, and a lefty neck I picked up at some point. I plan on having a phat-cat in the bridge, and two jaguar pickup in the other positions. I don't know how good it will end up sounding, but I can't wait till it's finished, just to have such a strange guitar.

Sorry if I came off a bit cynical, I say go with the brief as stated earlier. It's cool and different, but still normal enough looking that people will be able to dig it.
yeah, I know what you meant. That sounds like a cool project.

Jagermeister

Post by Jagermeister »

shit I haven't even been checking in here even...

anyway, I'll discuss details... just cause if anyone else has a better idea, I want to hear it :lol:

Old nationals etc. were made the same way as park benches, with gelcoat in a mold, and fiberglass flecking. 2 halves were then bolted together

I'm not making it that way ;)

I'm thinking a central pine (2x4) block that the neck will attatch to, laminated with a fiberglass top and back, and I can mold sides to fit and bond it all together... and also I have a few ideas for making contours...

...and ric f hole I think. it'll be swimming pool route basically, so he can use whatever pickups he wants. Who the fuck cares, it's fiberglass.

Anyway, I'm not starting until Marc is ready (at his request) but in the meantime as I have all the materials I'll probably start on a prototype body just as an experiment to make sure this will work AT ALL :lol:
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

Hurb--just use bamboo!
Yell Like Hell
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

think about the pandas!! :cry: